1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Those sort of speeds make my head hurt just thinking about. Take it this would be visual nav hats of to you chaps for it. Dont think I could have coped with the work load. Must make IFR nav with an AP seem like childs play.

Didn't remember the 210kts bit - I was probably so maxed out that it was instantly erased. We had the same potential issue with sums in the jag on the UK based squadrons cos we used to cruise at 450kts rather than 420kts and 7.5 times tables wasn't easy either. IIRC we only did that when the nav kit was upgraded from then old Navwass to the almost infinitely superior FIN 1064 at which point we began to let the computer take the strain. After a while we all became so bad at navigating without it that in the event of a kit dump we handed over lead of the formation.

We also stopped being real men at about the same time.........(according to the 'old lags')

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Must make IFR nav with an AP seem like childs play.

IFR in the Jag became easy peasy compared with the JP and Hawk.

The JP and Hawk had old style gyro artificial horizons/turn & slip. IIRC the JP had VOR/DME and the Hawk had TACAN. Both had ILS. Nothing else. IFR nav was always a challenge. The workload could get high as we were hardly ever flying straight towards or away from a beacon (and there was no means of storing an offset (correct me if I'm wrong there Tim) and an ILS to minimums could be a challenge as a stude.

Jag only had TACAN but the FIN 1064 inertial platform was so good that you could put any and all IFR turning points in as inertial waypoints and just use the TACAN every now and then to check.

More importantly the inertial platform gave you a flight path bug in the HUD so that the effort involved in maintaining straight and level or a 3 degree glide path or whatever you wanted was just about Nil (no Artificial Horizon/Altimeter/ASI/VSI etc. scan pattern required). ILS was dead easy. A dot appeared in the HUD - superimpose the flight path bug on the dot - maintain the same and just follow it done to minimums. 200' cloud base was our instrument rating minimum and it became fun to fly to it. I always got a kick out of dropping out of cloud at 200' (maybe even a tiny tad lower...) and seeing the runway lights through the murk and rain ahead. Quick check to see that No 2 was still in close formation - and land. No autopilot tho' and sometime that was a bit of a pain. Not often tho.

• Like 3

I always reckoned that navigation must have been a huge challenge in attack jets, possibly because I can't even make more ten miles without a GPS system.

• Like 1

Ability to change frequency without spilling pilot's drink an advantage. Must be able to count to 360, and recognise that E & W are not the same letter. Particular preference will be given to candidates whose arms are too short to reach any of the flying controls. Very high boredom threshold an advantage for those selected for passive ASW duties. N.B. No stick, no vote. Fly Navy.

[i'd have been a born copy-writer, me.]

• Like 4

Hi,

I have been following this thread in the background - Have joined the Forum just to add my appreciation to your (and Cheshiretaurus') modelling skills on display. Inspirational work and often hard to believe it is in the scale it is (too small for me). Great work - Great subject. Look forward to the final work, but will be sorry to eventually see the story come to an end. Wait with anticipation to hear the Hawk anecdotes. Molardoc.

• Like 1

Out tonight - so sneaked home early from work to get some more paint on the JP5.

BTW. I used Kev67's suggestion of dry micro meshing the Tamiya primer and it worked a treat. Thanks Kev.

I've laid down a few coats of Tamiya Flat White on the fuselage and fin/rudder. Not the best photos I'm afraid - but it went on pretty well.

574F43D1-187C-46B6-AD28-8A942E1AAA93_zps

DEBAD9C7-3F0E-46D5-AE36-3D59F683F22B_zps

942A3B98-B317-436A-836C-4095BBD2D007_zps

I want it to harden well over the next 24 hours so I can gently micro mesh off the odd bit of dust etc and mask it.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

Go to your local Halfords and get a Tak-Rag Steve.

After you've flatted it back give it a wipe over with the Tak-Rag and hey-presto,

it lifts the dust away.(he knows you know,he's a sprayer by trade)

Cracking idea going to get one.

• Like 1

Whilst do a 'quality control' check on the white in preperation for masking it and spraying the grey I found an annoying residual sink mark on top of the fuselage. It's on the engine doors just behind the canopy and quite noticeable from certain angles. I'd seen it and filled it way back when but obviously not well enough - or maybe when polishing the fuselage I probably removed too much of the filler. I used perfect putty and it's just a bit too soft for my tastes.

Anyways I ummed and ahhed about it and then decided to try and fill it with some Mr S (I had thought about passing it off as a small dent in the engine doors). Cue filling, smoothing and a small respray.

No dramas - but now I've got a small bump that's quite noticeable from certain angles - so I'm going to have to rub it down and do a small re-respray.

Amyways. Progress has been a little stalled at the white coat stage for the last few days and that's why there's been no update or photo's

I'm off to collect my new Giant Defy road bike today (poured with rain here yesterday so it stayed at the bike shop....) so may not be dvoting much time to inside hobbies today....

BTW. Thanks for the tak rag tip Miggers. Like Mark I'll be off to Halfords to acquire a few later on....

BTW 2. Geedubelyer has spotted that someone is producing a resin chipmunk in 1/32 - he posted the link on my old chippie thread. Might have to acquire one of those so it can sit in the attic gathering dust for a few years until I've learnt how to build resin kits properly and maybe someone has posted a build to copy........

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

flashy :)

by a strange coincidence, after a week on my knees repairing pipes under the landing floor* I decided to see if my recently siezed up knee would let me cycle again

Eureka, I have pedalled four hundred yards

Not much but the furthest in twelve months and signs that I may be able to...

"get on yer bike" again for real

* one reason for little work being done on a helicopter of this parish

Oh yes

nice bike

• Like 1

Had to google what a Giant Defy was,

Yep - that's the one. Here's the new addition - complete with garage specially cleaned and tidied for the occasion. And that don't happen very often.... (Odd bit of modelling paraphernalia in the background - it's where I am banished to to do the noisy stuff and to spray any noxious stuff - luckily for me there's an internal door 'tween garage and house.).

d8cc5b8396704408dc73978dc7b20b50_zpsb963

And here's the poor old JP5 ready for its re-respray:

60283c0fa4e3ec7456bdb3269c9fb052_zps8922

Steve

• Like 4

That was a tight spot to do rework in dont think I would have tried it myself , but nothing ventured nothing gained. Ive been trying to avoid touching areas like that on the vampire as I've found something will fall off or I'd accidentally sand part of the surface details in the process if I even think of working there. Nicely done anyhow.

Edited by Cheshiretaurus
  • Like 1

Your attention to the smallest detail is outstanding!

I have learnt a lot from your threads - thank you

Looking forward to the next instalment

Roger

• Like 1

That was a tight spot to do rework in dont think I would have tried it myself , but nothing ventured nothing gained. Ive been trying to avoid touching areas like that on the vampire as I've found something will fall off or I'd accidentally sand part of the surface details in the process if I even think of working there. Nicely done anyhow.

I agree with those sentiments; and that's why I ummed and aahed about it. But there's actually no surface detail in that precise area - save the scribed lines and they're deep enough to be safe. Wouldn't do any harm for them to be a bit less distinct actually.

Also I've been using some homemade micromesh sticks to work in confined areas:

00bef3477ff455130ee43d43468cc9fc_zps0a70

I've got some new micromesh cloths on order so I've been sacrificing my old ones in strips to provide some precision (well sort of) sanding tools - which have been a big help.

flashy :)

Nah - sort of entry level road bike stuff really. Aluminium frame and shimano tiagra groupset rather than your super dooper carbon framed shimano 105 or better groupsets - but does have carbon front forks and it'll do for me......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

At last - primer. I've been waiting a long time for this!

What is micromesh? I've got some stuff that looks like a luffa in sheet form - if that makes sense - is that it?

I've no idea what grade of luffa I've got, but it seems a bit harsh for surface preparation.

Looking awesome as expected, nearly there now.

Are you going for a gloss or matt or satin final finish?