new tool avro lancaster biii dambuster special1/72

Mike Esposito

Hi everyone. Just want to know if the Airfix 1/72 BIII special dambuster can be built into a standard b.iii oob?

it looks like the sprues have all the options for the standard non dambuster version.

Looks awesome!

tks

Edited by Mike Esposito

Mike,

Simple answer yes. However, you would need to source a bomb load from elsewhere or build it with the bomb bay closed or empty.

Mark.

I am guessing there is a bit more to add than the Dambuster version as the Dambuster has sprues labelled A, B, C, D, E, G, H. As it is missing a sprue F, I am guessing it is this that would contain andy BI/III specific parts.

I am guessing there is a bit more to add than the Dambuster version as the Dambuster has sprues labelled A, B, C, D, E, G, H. As it is missing a sprue F, I am guessing it is this that would contain andy BI/III specific parts.

Wrong guess I'm afraid. I have the kit and it has everything, except bomb load, to build a standard BI/III. It even comes with the bomb crutches. Sprue F would, I presume, be the BII specific parts.

Mark.

Could build the Tallboy version with the Freightdog set, that's my intention :)

Hey...can't wait to see that!

• Like 1

Any opinions about the 1/72 Revell Lancaster MK I/III? Better or worse than the new Airfix kit?

Like the idea of the included ordinace of the Revell kit. :thumbsup:

Strictly speaking you get the "ordnance" with the Airfix kit, in the form of the Upkeep mine. It is after all marketed as a "Dambuster". The fact that there are the required parts to build a standard BI/III, should one wish, included in the box is a bonus.

In my opinion Airfix is the one, although it is more expensive than Revell. I cannot imagine the lack of bombs would be a deal breaker.

Any opinions about the 1/72 Revell Lancaster MK I/III? Better or worse than the new Airfix kit?

It looks as though Airfix avoided the Revell wing problems (insufficient dihedral) and it looks (from the pics I've seen) that the moulding is as good if not better than Revell's. It looks as though the shape of the read fairing is right, too.

I'm voting Airfix!

I know a man who has a full set of Revell bombs and a set from the "old" Airfix Lanc

complete with the cookie <_< .

My spares box is littered with them. I always do Lancs with the doors closed, largely for easy of assembly/spraying. That and mine are whiffs and have either Grand Slam fairings or AEW radomes.

Whilst I've not built the new airfix kit yet, I was on the BC SIG table with some of the lads who have built it and of course had a good look at them.

Without being scientific:

Pro's Revell:

Cockpit moulding appears to be thinner - Airfix looks a bit too thick

More wing panel lines than Airfix (although this could be a downside depending on preference)

Assembly steps easier - wings can be fitted at the end, u/c can be fitted to wings at the end - airfix u/c fitted into wings from above through leading edge

Good bomb set for normal Mk.III

Escape hatches on fuselage are included - airfix have to be drilled out

Side windows look to be better proportioned - Airfix look too deep in height

Pro's Airfix

Nose turret looks to be a better profile

Upkeep frame and detail far better (includes motor detail inside front bomb bay) and supports for frame

Flaps included so you can lower them

Wheel hubs look better - Revell look naff

u/c is more sturdy, just a PITA to fit !

front turret interior detail is much better - Revell pretty scarce

Correct dihedral on wings

Cheers

Sadly,when I tried to order the new (Dambuster) Lanc. from Hannants they tol;d me they've sold out of the standard kit but do have a few of the Gift Set boxings. They've ordered new stock from Airfix but don't expect them to arrive for MONTHS!.

It seems moulding is done in India & it takes that long to get stock delivered.

So if you don't want the 'Gift Set' boxing and see the standard one somewhere - buy it!

Edited by Jonny