Revell rereleasing Supermarine Stranraer

Jade Falcon

Nice one, one of those kits I always wanted to make and never did.

Re-releases like this make you realise that matchbox did some really great subjects over the years.

Julien

Matchbox biplanes were generally a cut above their average. By modern standards, they will appear basic (interiors? What interiors?), lacking in detail and often but not always slightly crude, but still well worth having if you like the subject. However, I get the impression that they are bought because "I always wanted one of them" rather than "I must start work on that now". So a lot of them remain in stashes - and cherished!

The Stranraer, Heyford and Seafox were some of the best kits Matchbox ever did. I still have an unbuilt Stranraer in the stash so I wont be buying another but it is a welcome rerelease never the less.

Andrew

Matchbox seem to have had some unusual for the time subjects. I have a few Matchbox kits unbuilt, like the 1/32 scale Lysander, the Dornier Do-18 (Revell rerelease), the Heinkel 115 and the Wellesley. I'll be going for the Stranraer and trying to get the Heyford as it was rereleased under Revells classic line.

I remember some of the more unusual subject matter which might have been filled now by manufacters like the Me-210, the Junkers 188, the Hs-125 bizjet, the Seafox and others. Years ago I remember building their Halifax and while it might now be a bit primitive the option to have the power turret nose or the full glazing was a good idea.

The Stranraer, Heyford and Seafox were some of the best kits Matchbox ever did. I still have an unbuilt Stranraer in the stash so I wont be buying another but it is a welcome rerelease never the less.

Andrew

Yes, they were amongst my favourites when I built them all those years ago. I still have my Heyford (unfortunately, it's the only one left of my once quite extensive MB collection), hidden away in a box somewhere. I really must dig it out and put it back on the shelf where it belongs!

Matchbox seem to have had some unusual for the time subjects. I have a few Matchbox kits unbuilt, like the 1/32 scale Lysander, the Dornier Do-18 (Revell rerelease), the Heinkel 115 and the Wellesley. I'll be going for the Stranraer and trying to get the Heyford as it was rereleased under Revells classic line.

I think the massive Revell 1/32 Beaufighter was also an original Matchbox kit. Some have superdetailed this kit to stunning success.

I've got the MB Stranraer and it's a beaut.

The one thing preventing me from starting it is a total absence of adequate interior references. I've got a digitised version of a book showing interior shots of the RAF Museum survivor, but this aircraft has been gutted and has no instruments or equipment whatsoever!

The AP Manual for the Stranraer (which would be ideal) is too obscure even for the Bodleian Library to have a copy!

Edited by Vulcanicity

I'm sure I've seen the He 115 on Revell's schedule too.....no doubt the Matchbox kit.

It could very well be the Frog kit. I remember getting one in the Revell box when I was stationed in Germany about 30 years ago, and Matchbox was still a going concern back then.

Dave

I'm sure I've seen the He 115 on Revell's schedule too.....no doubt the Matchbox kit.

I hope so, this was one of the first MB kits I built. That and the 109. Strange as I have never built any german WWII since.

The seafox is still one of my favorite MB kits. Last time I built it fully rigged :wacko:

Julien

I've got the MB Stranraer and it's a beaut.

The one thing preventing me from starting it is a total absence of adequate interior references. I've got a digitised version of a book showing interior shots of the RAF Museum survivor, but this aircraft has been gutted and has no instruments or equipment whatsoever!

The AP Manual for the Stranraer (which would be ideal) is too obscure even for the Bodleian Library to have a copy!

Some info here: http://www.seawings.co.uk/stranplans.htm

This and the Mushroom book is more than enough for an interior that will not be seen anyway.

Carlos

• Like 1

The Frog molds, also reboxed by Revell, are much better than the Matchbox ones. The Matchbox fuselage cross section is too "squary" and the wings have a very incorrect profile.

The 1/32 Beaufighter was Revell's own tooling and preceded their buying up the Matchbox tooling - if not the Matchbox range itself!

Matchbox didn't do an Me210 but a 410. Not particularly exotic, given that the Frog and Llindberg kits had preceded it, but perhaps that's a measure of how conservative the main manufacturers have become, with some types that were fairly ordinary bieng considered exotic now.

I don't see any point in re-releasing the A-20, which was inferior to the Airfix, Frog and Revell alternatives even when it came out. The MPM A-20 series is streets ahead of all the predecessors. But then that's never been a particular guide to rereleases, or we'd never have seen the Airfix Il2 again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the MB 1/48 A1E Skyrider, even though the engine is a little small and the prop incorrect it is still the only game in town. Last one that sold on EBay went for over 100.00. I wish someone would retool the old molds, actually I wonder if the old mould wasn't destroyed. As for the Stranraer, I would liKe to see it in 1/48 but with the demise of Classic Airframes I don't think I will be alive to see a kit like that ever released.

I don't see any point in re-releasing the A-20, which was inferior to the Airfix, Frog and Revell alternatives even when it came out. The MPM A-20 series is streets ahead of all the predecessors.

Revell will be re-releasing the MPM Boston IV later this year.

So can't wait for this to come out, now if they would only rerelease the Wellesley........

Well I just managed to get hold of a second-hand Matchbox Wellesley...which probably means Revell will re-release it next week for half the price I paid for it.