1/48 Tamiya Corsair with Aires set

:ditto:

What he said! You've done a simply awesome job on my favourite warbird :wub:

Very well done :thumbsup:

Edited by Seamus

Ok... ok... I don't believe it... you took photos of the real thing and posted it as your own work right? ;-P "Holy awesome models Batman!!!" One of the best, most realistic, finishes I have ever seen... you have to enter this baby into some contests... it deserves prizes...

Truly amazing!

-Greg

:o

That is a work of art... pure and simple

It's time I gave this hobby up and went back to knitting :eat:

Hey Bob, if you look closely enough, I've used one of your buckles on my rudder top, very handy and much endorsed. Tar.

Thanks for kind comments, I will add some more exhaust staining, jen is right it needs a bit more, and a few tweaks. Please, anything else please let me know.

Please, anything else please let me know.

Well, I've just spent a very pleasant 5 minutes staring at your pics again, hoping to find a nit to pick so that I could be a clever clogs & point it out to you!! :P

But I couldn't find anything! I do agree with Jen's thoughts about the exhaust staining, I completely missed that the first time I looked - I think I was just overwhelmed by the superb building, finishing & weathering!

It's just such a superb model, I really can't see anything else that needs doing to it.....

Keef

• Like 1

Hey Bob, if you look closely enough, I've used one of your buckles on my rudder top, very handy and much endorsed. Tar.

Thanks for kind comments, I will add some more exhaust staining, jen is right it needs a bit more, and a few tweaks. Please, anything else please let me know.

It's warming to know I have a itsy bitsy tiny piece of me on such a beauty.

:worthy:

Bob Von Buckled ^_^

to use a glaswegian phrase ..... :pardon:

that is totally sidney!!!! :coolio:

sidney DEVINE ,a local country and western singer ,famouse in the late seventys ,still prostituting himself to any poor soul who will listen!!a truly awful experience :guitar:

Beautiful build Nick, a real peach of a build. Now get on with that Baron!

A point that was made regarding a Corsair that I built was the drop tanks, which I weathering to the same degree as yours, these would have less if any weathering because of the limited use of the individual tank. Fair point I suppose but it certainly takes nothing away from a first class build, and superb finish all around.

Cheers

Doc

Beautiful build Nick, a real peach of a build. Now get on with that Baron!

A point that was made regarding a Corsair that I built was the drop tanks, which I weathering to the same degree as yours, these would have less if any weathering because of the limited use of the individual tank. Fair point I suppose but it certainly takes nothing away from a first class build, and superb finish all around.

Cheers

Doc

Thanks Fes. Just have to clean the sheds out, have a couple of days off and then I will start-better do the prop first, then I can build up the new nose profile.

RE the tanks, I've seen a few pics with some rather tatty tanks, as they often survived for quite a while, remember they would only have been dropped if absolutely nec., and being metal were quite valuable. I don't suppose they were primed too well, and therefore would have weathered quickly so I don't reckon we got it too wrong!

Any progress with Precious Metal?

Well, I could now couldn't I...

Yeah OK. Alclad over nicely polished primer ( don't bother with black undercoats), and do not seal with Klear, just leave it. Then worn scotchbrite, add maskol over areas to be chipped (maskol contains ammonia which will attack the Klear). Then spray colours (I used Xtracrylics), post shade etc, then remove maskol with a piece of tamiya masking tape and gentle rubbing with cloth. The paint doesn't adhere too well to the Alclad, so you can add further scratches with sharp toothpicks,and pull off more paint with the masking tape. Don't scratch too hard or you may go through the silver, but it's pretty durable. I also tend to remove the paint from thin trailing edges to give a metallic look, but take care here, paint doesn't build up in these areas at the best of times, and I usually have a little touching up with Citadel Chainmail (great brush paints). Thats it for the chipping, then seal with klear for decals.

The scuffing I added with a toothpick, scratching the matt xtracrylic varnish in areas of high use. I often see lots of boot scuff marks (check out the flanks of Phantoms) along the sides of aircraft where the groundcrew stand and work. I also drew on with a pencil more scuff marks just to add another "depth" of scuffing. I then sprayed over these areas lightly with very highly thinned matt varnish to mellow things out. Made that upon the go, and was a little concerned as to how it would pan out, but I'm happy with the results.

Cheers

• Like 1

I don't suppose they were primed too well, and therefore would have weathered quickly so I don't reckon we got it too wrong!

Thats what I thought, here is my mediocre attempt at the Corsair:-

corsair-1.jpg

I used a slightly different technique for the chipping, base coat of silver, layer of Future, blue top coat, and then using masking tape ripped off the top coat to create the paint chipping.

Re Precious Metal, wings have been clipped and new tips fashioned. Just in the process of filling the wings ready for paint.

Cheers

Doc

Well, I could now couldn't I...

Yeah OK. Alclad over nicely polished primer ( don't bother with black undercoats), and do not seal with Klear, just leave it. Then worn scotchbrite, add maskol over areas to be chipped (maskol contains ammonia which will attack the Klear). Then spray colours (I used Xtracrylics), post shade etc, then remove maskol with a piece of tamiya masking tape and gentle rubbing with cloth. The paint doesn't adhere too well to the Alclad, so you can add further scratches with sharp toothpicks,and pull off more paint with the masking tape. Don't scratch too hard or you may go through the silver, but it's pretty durable. I also tend to remove the paint from thin trailing edges to give a metallic look, but take care here, paint doesn't build up in these areas at the best of times, and I usually have a little touching up with Citadel Chainmail (great brush paints). Thats it for the chipping, then seal with klear for decals.

The scuffing I added with a toothpick, scratching the matt xtracrylic varnish in areas of high use. I often see lots of boot scuff marks (check out the flanks of Phantoms) along the sides of aircraft where the groundcrew stand and work. I also drew on with a pencil more scuff marks just to add another "depth" of scuffing. I then sprayed over these areas lightly with very highly thinned matt varnish to mellow things out. Made that upon the go, and was a little concerned as to how it would pan out, but I'm happy with the results.

Cheers

Cheers Dad ^_^

Thats what I thought, here is my mediocre attempt at the Corsair:-

corsair-1.jpg

I used a slightly different technique for the chipping, base coat of silver, layer of Future, blue top coat, and then using masking tape ripped off the top coat to create the paint chipping.

Re Precious Metal, wings have been clipped and new tips fashioned. Just in the process of filling the wings ready for paint.

Cheers

Doc

Thats a nice Corsair Fes. I pulled a load of paint off too with tape, it looks natural IMHO. I think I read about that technique on Hyperscale, there are some nice Corsairs there. You should post pics of that, 'tis very nice.

You gonna do a build thread for PM here on BM?

One of my first builds getting back to the hobby and certainly shouldn't grace the same thread as your masterpiece. It was a technique I wanted to try having read about it, since then I have used the salt or maskol/sponge method which I find you get more control although not as random as tape ripping.

Regarding the build of 'Precious' I have been taking progress shots as I go but until I get the fuselage shape ready I will hold off showing my efforts. Just in case it all ends up in the bin........ <_< ..... just call me chicken!

Cheers

Doc

One of my first builds getting back to the hobby and certainly shouldn't grace the same thread as your masterpiece. It was a technique I wanted to try having read about it, since then I have used the salt or maskol/sponge method which I find you get more control although not as random as tape ripping.

Regarding the build of 'Precious' I have been taking progress shots as I go but until I get the fuselage shape ready I will hold off showing my efforts. Just in case it all ends up in the bin........ <_< ..... just call me chicken!

Cheers

Doc

hi Fes,

I'm gonna start the Baron thread now, have just taken some piccies. At the very least it will spur me on! 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days till Telford, about the same time that I started Voodoo last year. I've hijacked my own thread. Cool.

..... 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days till Telford, about the same time that I started Voodoo last year. I've hijacked my own thread. Cool.

Wot??!! Where's the year gone??!! Methinks I need to pull my finger out or I'll have nothing finished.... :o

Keef

:gobsmacked: What can I say apart from simply stunning! A beautifully built model weathered to perfection and detailed to the max, congratulations :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Cheers

Hi TurnerDad,

fantastic result, I love the way you have chipped the paint, very well executed, not overdone (which is easy to do) and all in the right sort of places. :thumbsup:

Something however that I think you may have overlooked?

Cor1.jpg

The green arrows point to formation lights on the top of the wings, these should be clear blue. Easy to add now if you've forgotten to do them.

Another thing......

Cor2.jpg

Are these darker scratches done with pencil? Have you added a sandy brown pastel to the wing root area?

:goodjob:

Richard.