1/48 Tamiya Corsair with Aires set

Just finished this yesterday, 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D with the Aires detail set. My most involved build to date, built over 2 years (stop/start).

This machine was operated by VF-84, USS Bunker Hill 1945. The yellow nose was painted for ID purposes when operating over the Japanese home Islands.

The Aires set is beautiful, best resin by far IMHO, but a bugger to fit- New wheel wells, engine areas, gun bays, cockpit etc, etc. Typically of course no painting guide, and my detail and scale book is mostly B+W! So rivet counters/Corsair experts please don't be too harsh. I had some nice colour shots of P-47 interiors and as there was a fair amount in common I used that as a rough guide.

Painted with Xtracrylics, and I thought I would experiment with the weathering so I scratched up some of the high use areas to simulate wear and scratching, then evened it out a little with some highly thinned Matt varnish which helped bring it together a bit.

I sharpened up some of the images a bit in photoshop (sorry, not photoshop, just my standard Nikon picture project software-I havn't "airbrushed" anything in a fashion mag sense)which I've noticed "grains" up the finish slightly here and there.

The markings were all sprayed through vinyl cut masks.

Wanted to take some better pics than previous builds (all part of the learning curve, and thanks to many here for sharing their tips-great thing about this site, very helpful folk). Set up outside, luckily a reasonably cloudy day, but I found this camo scheme favoured more light generally so there are some harsh shadows, but at least they show most of the weathering. Overall, an enjoyable build, but a big challenge. Constructive comments appreciated, 'tis the only way to learn!

I may tweak a few things still, add a little staining on the ailerons etc, thought about adding an oily rag covered in Verlinden PE tools on on wing. But I've had enough for now.

DSC_043622600014.jpg

DSC_042822150010.jpg

DSC_043322570012.jpg

DSC_042422060007.jpg

DSC_040921860003.jpg

DSC_040521780002.jpg

DSC_039422180001.jpg

DSC_047422940021.jpg

DSC_047122910020.jpg

DSC_045422760019.jpg

DSC_045222740018.jpg

DSC_043922630017.jpg

DSC_043822620016.jpg

DSC_043623200015.jpg

DSC_043523190013.jpg

DSC_042923130011.jpg

DSC_042423080008.jpg

DSC_041322970005.jpg

Next build will be a 1/32 RB-51 Mustang, the "Red Baron" of American air racing fame, and following on from Voodoo that I finished last year (want to build one Reno racer a year). Had to have a few spinning prop pics after seeing TangoIndiaMikes pics!

Cheers all.

Edited by turnerdad
  • Like 24

don't think there's any constructive criticism I can add.

Gushing praise that's a different matter.

Smashing job on the weathering too, my attempts at silver chipping always end up looking like exactly what they are, silver blobs dabbed on top of everything else whereas yours looks realistic.

I would be interested to know your technique, also I can never get the random nature of the chips either.

Right, thats a cracking Photoshop Job on a REAL ONE, now, when do we get to see the model :yikes:

Seriously though, I dont normally pay attention to Proppythingys unless theyre Hurricanes, but this is simply stunning. Im in no position to say about any mistakes as I have very little knowledge other than its a Corsair, but, as for praise, well, if anyone says anything bad about this outstanding work they want their head looking at :worthy::worthy::worthy::gobsmacked:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

EDIT: Post edited in CAPS to avoid confusion of a humourous attempt :thumbsup2:

Edited by bexwh773

don't think there's any constructive criticism I can add.

Gushing praise that's a different matter.

Smashing job on the weathering too, my attempts at silver chipping always end up looking like exactly what they are, silver blobs dabbed on top of everything else whereas yours looks realistic.

I would be interested to know your technique, also I can never get the random nature of the chips either.

Spray Alclad airframe aluminium or duralumium (whatever you like really) then dab on maskol with ragged piece of scothbrite, use toothpicks,needles, whatever is lying around to add fine scratches (do not seal alclad with Klear!), then spray. After paint dried, add further scratches with sharpened toothpick. Thats it really, second model I 've used this technique on and I like it. Try and keep paint chipping to high use areas, access panels etc, and leading edges too.

Excellent model, TurnerDad..! I esp. like the paint chipping details...

Cheers,

ggc

That's mucking farvellous! :worthy:

Completely convincing in almost every respect, great chipping without the 'random' factor that ruins so many for me, great weathering, great build. The only minor nag I have is where is the exhaust staining? It's such a worn and dirty bird, with little apparent exhaust soot.

Jen.

I have one critical point to make. When that is entered into the show at Telford this year, none of us mere 'assemblers of kits' will stand a chance of being noticed, let alone placed!! Seriously that is superb and something to be really proud of.

That's mucking farvellous! :worthy:

Completely convincing in almost every respect, great chipping without the 'random' factor that ruins so many for me, great weathering, great build. The only minor nag I have is where is the exhaust staining? It's such a worn and dirty bird, with little apparent exhaust soot.

Jen.

I know Jen, it is something I will address. Originally, before I added the oil leaks ithe staining was far more obvious, though I didn't go mad as I really liked the wash effect around all the lumps and bumps around that area, and I just couldn't bring myself to blast it all away with black! I've left the tanks unglued so I can access the area if I feel it needs it and I think it probably does. Thanks for your feedback, that's what I want and I know your work which is superb.

And i must say the two years work has defintely paid off mate!! Thats just outstanding!!

I bow to you!

I can only echo what has already been said! This has to be the nicest corsair model i have ever seen!!!! :) seriously well done!