1:48 Avro York

No further progress until the 1:48 Sanger B-47 is complete, but this is how far I have got to date. My inspiration was a set of 1:48 Tamiya Lancaster kit wings and tailplane parts that were offered for sale on eBay - and which I subsequently acquired. The fuselage is a large hunk of balsa shaped with a surform and sandpaper to profiles enlarged from an old "Avro York" booklet by Profile Publications. The decals are home made on an inkjet printer.

AvroYork_02.jpg

AvroYork_01.jpg

AvroYork_03.jpg

AvroYork_04.jpg

AvroYork_05.jpg

AvroYork_06.jpg

AvroYork_07.jpg

AvroYork_08.jpg

AvroYork_09.jpg

:giles:

Darius

I remember this... very ambitous work :) I gues you've got one of those Mattel vacforming machines by the looks of the shape & style of the styrene sheets you've been pulling. Wish I could have laid my hands on one... I had to build my own :S

I remember this... very ambitous work :) I gues you've got one of those Mattel vacforming machines by the looks of the shape & style of the styrene sheets you've been pulling. Wish I could have laid my hands on one... I had to build my own :S

Mike, Is this what you are after. Prices seem reasonable (and this one has been "tuned"!):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1962-Mattel-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ta,

Ed

• 5 months later...

The York was back on the table this Sunday and I made some progress in the cockpit using the one and only photo that I could find on the net of the main instrument panel. I scratch built the seats and yokes and used the balsa vac-form masters for the floor and front console as they strengthen the rather thin vac-formed outer skins. I was going to cheat and use an Eduard zoom Lancaster instrument panel but the York is much different - having both a pilot and copilot. I will therefore have to scratch build the panel in the same fashion as I did for the Sanger Shackleton. Mike Grant's instrument decals make this a much less daunting prospect.

Darius

AvroYork_12.jpg

AvroYork_11.jpg

AvroYork_10.jpg

PS - if anyone has some Avro York cockpit interior pics to share they would be very useful...(unless they show something completely different form what I have done, in which case I don't want to know :o :o )

I have photos of the interior of Cosford's York, if they'd be of any use. That York is still in original condition, with all four crew positions; the Duxford York deleted the engineer/radio operator's positions, and pushed the bulkhead forward, making the cargo compartment bigger.

Edgar

I have photos of the interior of Cosford's York, if they'd be of any use. That York is still in original condition, with all four crew positions; the Duxford York deleted the engineer/radio operator's positions, and pushed the bulkhead forward, making the cargo compartment bigger.

Edgar

Edgar

If you have any photos of the main cockpit, seats, instrument panels and sidewalls they would be of great use.

PM sent.

Darius

Now this is very impressive.

I love what you're doing here.......fantastic stuff.

I'm umming and ahhing over the new 72 nd conversion that was in Scale Aircraft modelling actually. (I think I'm gonna cave in and get it)

Really lookin' forward to seeing more progress. :thumbsup:

Photos sent; if anyone else is contemplating this conversion, please be aware that the York's wingspan was identical to that of the Lancaster. The wings were not stuck onto the wider fuselage; the fuselage was expanded outwards, deleting part of the wings/flaps, and bringing the prop blades very(!!) close to the fuselage (it must have been a heck of a racket.)

I remember dark rumours that Paragon were about to do a conversion; where's Neil, when we need him?

Edgar

Photos sent; if anyone else is contemplating this conversion, please be aware that the York's wingspan was identical to that of the Lancaster. The wings were not stuck onto the wider fuselage; the fuselage was expanded outwards, deleting part of the wings/flaps, and bringing the prop blades very(!!) close to the fuselage (it must have been a heck of a racket.)

I remember dark rumours that Paragon were about to do a conversion; where's Neil, when we need him?

Edgar

Edgar - many thanks.

As I suspected I will need to re-model the cockpit. Firstly the throttle controls are on the ceiling, not on a central lower console as I have currently modelled. Still, your photos will help me greatly with this.

I reckon Neil's conversion will be issued when I am about 95% complete!!!

Darius

• 2 months later...

The York was back on the bench today. I attached the vac-formed tailcone and modified the balsa rear fuselage to accept the Tamiya tailplanes.

AvroYork_13.jpg

AvroYork_14.jpg

I also amended the cockpit by removing the previously installed throttle quadrant and scratch-building an instrument panel using plastic card and Mike Grant's instrument dial decals.

AvroYork_15.jpg

AvroYork_16.jpg

AvroYork_17.jpg

Tomorrow I will have a go at the overhead throttle controls and attach the cockpit/nose to the main balsa fuselage.

Darius

PS - Many thanks to Edgar and Ryan for the York cockpit photos and to David for the York cutaway.

• 5 months later...

Back on the bench today - the balsa fuselage was partially skinned with plasticard, leaving a strip on each fuselage side for the "porthole" windows. The plasticard was glued on with cyano and the joints filled with Humbrol filler. The intention is to paint the window strip black and the "skin" this with clear acetate sheet. The portholes will be masked with circular "label" stickers of the correct diameter. After painting, the circles will be removed leaving a glazed window effect. That's the theory anyway ...

Darius

AvroYork_18.jpg

AvroYork_19.jpg

AvroYork_20.jpg

AvroYork_21.jpg

AvroYork_22.jpg

AvroYork_23.jpg

AvroYork_24.jpg

AvroYork_25.jpg

AvroYork_26.jpg

Edited by Darius at Home

Looking amazing Darius, I thought Id seen everything, but this beastie is just outstanding :worthy::worthy:

Bexy

Now this is model making!! I though vac-form was radical!

Looks great, huge admiration for anyone who attempts a project like this from scratch.

Great work, look forwards to seeing more of this one