ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

The seats are beginning to look good, the finished articles will make the effort you are putting in worthwhile in the end.

Martian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

.... Don't forget Crash dicing with death on the M6 when a flaming truck wheel bounced over the central reserve and landed on his hire car .... and the 819 cab that spun onto the hardstand at Gannet with him in it !!

...... I think we flew with him because he genuinely had 9 lives 😆👍

The thing I remember about him was the fact that he never seems to get flustered, even in the most dire emergency.  I guess with that background...

I'd forgotten the M6 episode, but I do recall that he had video evidence of one of his Canadian crashes (at an air show, I think?).   

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice work but you forgot to add the rivets along the front rail!

I am not really an emoticon kind of guy, so you'll just have to take the stuck out tongue as read!  [Just for you, I might even add them now... - and I was already thinking to see whether there's a way of reproducing the "worn rivets on the cockpit floor" look.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Believe the oldies are still about, we've had XV656 and XV697 in this year, both ex 1969 HAS.1s!

Even the later ones are mid 1980s frames.

24295216146_aab883d59f_c.jpgSea King ASaC.7 XV697 81 and Gannet AEW.3 XL500 6 Jan 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

23888665839_9cf104a5cf_c.jpgSea King ASaC.7 XV697 81 6 Jan 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Would be great to see a decent book on the type, and as you say the early history is fading fast.

Got to love that Gannet!  [But aren't you missing an airscrew or two?]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Thanks, everyone.  V quick update since got home earlier than expected and sneaked in a few minutes on the Beast.

Port seat with both bits of brass in place (dry fit) and the beginnings of the seat pack shaping:

DCAC98B5-7028-4053-8E5D-157B3891CCD7_zps

More on Friday

Crisp

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Got to love that Gannet!  [But aren't you missing an airscrew or two?]

Unfortunately them 'screws have been holding the project right up, sadly at least 18 mths lost sat in a warehouse with the promise of repairing them, they are off to 'States now for overhaul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks, everyone.  V quick update since got home earlier than expected and sneaked in a few minutes on the Beast.

Port seat with both bits of brass in place (dry fit) and the beginnings of the seat pack shaping:

DCAC98B5-7028-4053-8E5D-157B3891CCD7_zps

More on Friday

Crisp

That is some very neat metalwork Crisp, did you use a template or somesuch to get the frames bent to such a good shape?

Keith

8 hours ago, andyf117 said:

A suggestion for the sheepskin seat pads, which works for me in 1/72 and quite probably would in 1/48 too - I 'liberated' a couple of my wife's cotton wool cleansing pads (approx 2in diameter circular ones), cut them into suitably-sized squares, then soaked them in cold tea to get the right colour.....

Thanks; nice idea.  The pads (which do have a purpose beyond protecting lardy WAFU bums; they contain survival gear that won't fit inside the hard-case seat pack) are almost always turned upside down when the aircraft isn't being used, because they were getting wrecked by people putting oily boots on them.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is some very neat metalwork Crisp, did you use a template or somesuch to get the frames bent to such a good shape?

Keith

No template; just careful measurements and quite a lot of trial and error (plus my faithful Tamiya PE bending pliers, which are indispensable for all metal work).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Ah - I thought they looked odd in the HU.5 cockpit a couple of pages back, and that explains why.....

But then there's the little matter of reproducing the Velcro strips to scale! :lol:

Stick with sheepskin side up, I say!

1/48 scale Velcro, now there's a challenge.......:crosseyed:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks; nice idea.  The pads (which do have a purpose beyond protecting lardy WAFU bums; they contain survival gear that won't fit inside the hard-case seat pack) are almost always turned upside down when the aircraft isn't being used, because they were getting wrecked by people putting oily boots on them.  

No doubt those naughty Grubbers wanted an oily boot print to transfer itself to the smart green flight suited lardy WAFU's bums I'd say........

• Like 3

Some more seat work, and this time we're getting close to what I want it to look like:

8D3A1814-3B78-4923-B377-3AE6B707525B_zps

I have added two shims, a thick (relatively) slice of card on the seat pack and a paper thin one on the back.  The seat one gives it the characteristic seat pack square section down the side, and the lip across the front (actually not terribly easy to see in this picture; I'll see if I can get a better one later).   What I am actually doing is cheating slightly, turning the depth of Hasegawa's seat to my advantage by incorporating it as part of the seat pack, and making it look as though I have moved the seat edge forward by adding the brass frame.  OK, maybe not cheating: maybe it is just modelling!

A reminder of that the real thing looks like:

DSC_4055_zpsma49zsc8.jpg

If you are not familiar with the real thing, you aren't actually helped by the fact that the seat pack in this shot is green, and so is the underside of the "sheep skin" cushion; if you go up from the frame the first visible 'ridge' is hard plastic seat pack (containing a dinghy etc.), and above that is the sheep skin cushion thingy which contains more survival gear.  Normally (in my day, at least) the seat packs were yellow - and mine certainly will be in this model.  You may be able to see, however, that I have given the pack more depth now, so it ought to look better once painted up, seat belts added etc.  

Incidentally, has any 1/48 model engineer (with the honourable exception of Airfix with their Lynx seats) ever actually looked at an actual helicopter harness before designing their models?  Helo harnesses - British ones anyway - have FIVE points, not four; the bottom one, between your legs (and clearly visible in this photo dropping down from the front frame) always seems to be missed out of Eduard etc sets.  [Sorry; rant off!]

Hendie will be delighted to learn that I plan to add 10 [Edit after recount: 12!] Archers rivets across the front of the frame in his honour!

I have also done a bit more to the cockpit, only some of which I actually photographed (so you'll just have to take my word for it!).  I think Hasegawa's pedals can be improved upon - and Eduard's, though better, make the schoolboy error of making both sides the same (in reality only the right hand seat has toe brakes) - so I plugged the holes in the floor by tapering some plastic rod, ramming it into the hole and adding some Tamiya green to melt it all, as below - where one side has been sanded and one not, to give you a kind of before and after sensation...

72A443B0-3356-4252-88C5-23A8AE646C51_zps

More tomorrow.  

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Miggers said:

By gum,you don't mince your  words do you Mrs:lol::lol:

Why should she? I haven't much time for creatures that don't buy their share of the beers. Utterly disgraceful behaviour.

Martian

• Like 5

Lookers, eh?  With their stubby little wings (or single stubby wing if of Crustacean variety), lack of stick (& therefore vote), lardy posteriors and propensity to fail to buy beers....

Getting a rather bad press in this thread of late, I fear.  Perhaps I should point out that these are FRONT seats, so never occupied by any member of the Directional Consultants & Allied Trades tribe.  Not in an ASW cab, anyway - one of the many reasons to be dubious about AEW/ASaC Sea Kings is the fact that an Observer sits in the left hand seat for take-off / landing.  Dangerous, thin end of the wedge, slippery slope stuff, I reckon.  Not in my aircraft; no sirree!

• Like 9

I always wondered why aftermart folks think passengers have the right to use the brakes...

not in my vehicle

nor theirs neither i'll be bound

:(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5