1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB R7752 from No.609 Squadron

Basilisk

I better participate in this GB as I voted for it. It is a great topic with so many great choices to model! But as the Typhoon is one of my favored aircraft, it was an easy choice for me.

The first of four entries is a 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB R7752 from No.609 Squadron, flown by Sqn Ldr Roland Beamont, from Manston in March 1943.

Typhoon-R7752-2-PF.jpg

I am not 100% sure which version of Beamont's Tiffy I make, but most likely the one with the yellow cannons.

Typhoon-R7752-2.jpg

I will use the Hasegawa kit together with the Jaguar Detail Set (now available from Barracuda), Aires wheel wells and Techmod decals for the small markings and some other stuff if it will enhance the model. I will paint the roundels and squadron codes with my own masks.

R7752-1.jpg

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 5

looks good Peter

though the casting block on the Aires wells are pretty substantial!

In this build, the subject of the shape of the upper cowl came up

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929066-hawker-typhoon-hasegawa-148th-with-ultracast-and-scratch-and-a-bloody-big-sharkmouth/page-3#entry1281349

along with some other details, worth a read.

one final point, Hase moulded 'panel lines' around the rear fuselage fishplates, which is a minor problem,

there are a couple of shots here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason2/typhoon_i/

which may help.

also Ducimus camo guide

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

well worth a read, and a camo layout diagram on page 17 with measurements ;)

cheers

T

Thank you all, I am glad to be here.

Troy, I am glad to have you on board with your knowledge on anything Hawker. I knew the WIP from Jon and I found his scratch building he put into his Tiffy amazing. I am cheating a bit and use resin upgrades :winkgrin:

Regarding the shape of the upper cowl, I don't think a comparison with the Tempest shape is correct. There is actually an interesting coverage on this cowling debate (did late version Typhoons used Tempest cowls) in the Second Edition of the Valiant book on the Typhoon. But I think the Hasegawa cowl can still do with a bit of "tweaking".

I got started on R7752 on Saturday 1 minute past midnight! The first step is to replace the Wheel Wells with the resin from Aires. First the Hasegawa prepresentation had to come off.

R7752-2.jpg

Followed by lots of scraping.

R7752-3.jpg

They came out nice thin.

R7752-4.jpg

And yes, the Aires part does need a bit of sanding!

R7752-5.jpg

But it is a worthwhile effort as the Aires part looks so much better than the Hasegawa representation - and there are still 10 parts to be added in each wheel well?]

R7752-6.jpg

I also started in adding all the PE to the Jaguar / Barracuda cockpit detailing set.

R7752-7.jpg

I think it will look stunning after painting!

I hope to have some more to show in a week.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

Yes the aftermarket parts are superb and I am looking forward painting all the little details in them.

Got started in - yes you guessed it - applying the black primer as I had already the black stuff in my airbrush from the 1/72 builds.

R7752-8.jpg

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Commenced to apply the paint over the black primer.

Typhoon-R7752-13.jpg

I also added the Ultracast tail wheel well to the fuselage and it fitted very well. The side walls need to be fully painted as the tubing was silver on the early Typhoons.

The Cockpit floor has lots of detail which is just screaming to be painted and weathered. But the black primer already gives some depth.

Typhoon-R7752-14.jpg

I also started to add the small parts to the wheel well. This is fiddlier than I thought - still four parts to be added.

Typhoon-R7752-15.jpg

I am looking forward to detail the cockpit and wheel well.

I also started with the riveting.

Typhoon-R7752-16.jpg

Boy am I glad that most of the rivets are flush head. To place HGW dome head rivets would take forever

By the way, does anybody know what the part in the red circle represent? I can't see it on any picture and I think Hasegawa added it by mistake.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

Great work so far! Those aftermarket parts adding a lot but this kit is good anyway.

How you doing riveting? Do you have some blueprints for this one or ju just doing them like you want?

I was thinking to make some rivets at my plane. I have riveting tool but I don't know how to make the rivet line streight.

I have a ruler but I lt not quite work.

Thanks. I talked about the riveting in my Spitfire WIP. You can find it HERE (at the bottom of the page). Basically I use Dyno tape as a guide for straight lines. Shorter lines and curved lines I do free hand.

The only accurate drawing for the Typhoon is from Arthur Bentley which unfortunately I don't have. So I use the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon to work out the riveting pattern. It actually works well as any dimension you measure on the Airfix kit you divide by two and you have it for the 1/48 Tiffy!

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stix.

My model making suffered a bit under the weather with hot and humid condition down under. But this weekend will be fine so I should be able to make further progress.

But I did manage to do a bit more and got the wheel wells finished and ready for weathering.

Typhoon-R7752-17.jpg

I also added a pipe connecting the oxygen tank.

Also finished the IP and I am really pleased how it turned out.

Typhoon-R7752-18.jpg

There is a cutout in the PE for an instrument which wasn't in use on the car door Tiffy, so I filled the opening in with dark gray to represent shadow from the opening.

With a bit of luck I should have the cockpit done in a week.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

Thanks Chris and Col.

Made some further progress today with the cockpit.

Typhoon-R7752-19.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-20.jpg

The floor is now painted and weathered.

I also painted the resin seat.

Typhoon-R7752-21.jpg

Instead of PE, I used some left over material from HGW seatbelts (above the silver buckles).

And the wheel wells are now finished and weathered.

Typhoon-R7752-22.jpg

Hopefully I can get all the cockpit parts together over the weekend.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

Thank you Stix and Cliff. It is always interesting to see all the imperfection on these larger than original pictures - like the copper paint on all the parts it doesn't belong to. I didn't notice this after I painted the pipes!

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

As already mentioned in my other two builds, I finished seven cockpits this weekend for this and the P-47 GB :thumbsup:

After I had all the parts painted and weathered, it was time to assemble the cockpit. First side panel is attached to the floor.

Typhoon-R7752-23.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-24.jpg

Followed by the second together with the firewall.

Typhoon-R7752-25.jpg

And the IP.

Typhoon-R7752-26.jpg

And the seat, which makes the cockpit complete.

Typhoon-R7752-27.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-28.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-29.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-30.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-31.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-32.jpg

Typhoon-R7752-33.jpg

This cockpit is a real gem. The harness is resin cast and painted. The only thing I added was the wheel brake leaver on the control stick which was missing.

I hope to have the fuselage closed soon.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 8