Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I. No. 264 Squadron, Martlesham, Suffolk, England, July 1940. This is the new 1/72nd scale Defiant from Airfix. I will use an Eduard Zoom set for the interior detail, Set No SS525. For the camouflage colour paint, I have Hannants Xtracrylix. The markings will be the standard kit decals. For weathering and panel lines I intend to use gouache.

B7B9BE19-0A14-43DC-9C7F-CD1FB1612695_zps

66884045-8E70-49E6-B3A2-94705B83B27C_zps

Thank you for looking, Joe.

• Like 17

Nice kit Joe, I'll be following this B)

You like the Xtracrylics paints? I've never tried them but they seem to have a 'Marmite' effect on people... either they love them or hate them.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Nice kit Joe, I'll be following this B)

You like the Xtracrylics paints? I've never tried them but they seem to have a 'Marmite' effect on people... either they love them or hate them.

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew. That's a good way of putting it. I find them alright if I concentrate when I spray them. I do use other acrylics, but can't always get the colours I want. Xtracrylix do have a good range of colours. Joe

Excellent choice of kit Joe! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :popcorn:

Thank you Stix :)

I have the kit and was going to chuck it in for the GB... But I really want it to have a shark mouth! And I'm supposed to be doing 3 hurricanes and a spitfire...

Rob

Four builds! You don't do things by half do you Rob. ;)

• Like 2

I have the kit and was going to chuck it in for the GB... But I really want it to have a shark mouth! And I'm supposed to be doing 3 hurricanes and a spitfire...

Rob

Get another one and build it for the Back in Black GB ;)

• Like 3

Great choice, Joe. I'll be building Airfix's Defiant/Do17 dogfight double. Hopefully the kit arrives tomorrow. I already have the full Eduard's PE and mask sets for these aircraft. I use mainly Gunze paints which are excellent.

I wish you good luck with your build and hope we can share tips on the Defiant.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Great choice, Joe. I'll be building Airfix's Defiant/Do17 dogfight double. Hopefully the kit arrives tomorrow. I already have the full Eduard's PE and mask sets for these aircraft. I use mainly Gunze paints which are excellent.

I wish you good luck with your build and hope we can share tips on the Defiant.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime, thank you. Good luck with your build. If they are up to your usual standard, they will be very good. Joe

• Like 1

Thank you Stix :)

Four builds! You don't do things by half do you Rob. ;)

Well I am normally a one at at time kind of guy but stew Dapple introduced me to doing it in groups. ...Ced where are you..... I mean modelling of course

Get another one and build it for the Back in Black GB ;)

Weeeellll I was thinking of keeping it for that if I don't build it here... then maybe adding in a malta night fighter hurricane. ... but that's not BofB chat I can pop that in the discussion thread for back in black..... sorry for derailing before you even start building Joe. ..

Rob

• Like 3

Rob, you'll find that building groups of the same or similarl kits is quite efficient. I've found that in the Phantom GB, where I'm building three British Phantoms. I wish you luck with your builds.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good choice, I have this as a back up build in case I get bogged down in Hurri's, Spit's and Me-109s,

Sean

• Like 1

Good choice, I have this as a back up build in case I get bogged down in Hurri's, Spit's and Me-109s,

Sean

Good thinking & thank you Sean, I would like to do more, but I know I won't have the time. I've seen some very good Airfix Defiants on Britmodeller. Joe

Nice project, Joe. happy modelling with this fine kit.

Thank you Bernd, I've not made a 1/72nd scale kit for a good few years now. I thought I would start with this one. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Bernd, I've not made a 1/72nd scale kit for a good few years now. I thought I would start with this one. :)

Probably one of the best kits for a re start into that scale.

• Like 1

Probably one of the best kits for a re start into that scale.

I think your right Bernd, I hear good things about this kit. I used to love the old Airfix Defiant when I was a boy. I seem to remember reading a Commando comic book which featured a Defiant, an old woman giving the pilot a scarf for good luck, and him ending up flying a Meteor. Or that could be me getting old and mixing three books up. I think his adversary had some kind of art painted on the side on his fuselage. Anyone remember what the title was?

• Like 3

Ah yes, Commando books. I have one called "Upside down Ace" which features a Defiant crew, but i dunno about them ending up in a Meteor. There is the Battle of Britain Collection by Commando Comics which i can reccommend :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ah yes, Commando books. I have one called "Upside down Ace" which features a Defiant crew, but i dunno about them ending up in a Meteor. There is the Battle of Britain Collection by Commando Comics which i can reccommend :thumbsup:

Thank you Greg, I don't think that's the one. This one ended with the hero flying over the wreckage of the adversaries plane he had just shot down whilst throwing the scarf out of the cockpit and saying , "I don't need that anymore".

I think your right Bernd, I hear good things about this kit. I used to love the old Airfix Defiant when I was a boy. I seem to remember reading a Commando comic book which featured a Defiant, an old woman giving the pilot a scarf for good luck, and him ending up flying a Meteor. Or that could be me getting old and mixing three books up. I think his adversary had some kind of art painted on the side on his fuselage. Anyone remember what the title was?

These perhaps?

http://www.commandocomics.com/collection/issue-4461-upside-down-ace

http://www.commandocomics.com/collection/issue-4639-meteor-strike

• Like 1

Thank you very much dadgaddad, but it neither of those two. The hero was seeking revenge after seeing his partner killed in cold blood. He would only fly when he wore the scarf the old lady had given him. But thank you anyway. What a price those old books are now!

• Like 1

The first day of the build and the first stage. I've given the whole sprues a light dust over with Tamiya fine surface primer. There is not a lot of difference between the two shades of grey, but if you look at the sprue with the fuselage on by the nose, you can see where the clamp was which held the sprue while I sprayed it.

image.jpg1_zps0gclhw1i.jpg

This is the fine spray. There is a normal surface primer which looks identical apart from the word 'Fine' above the word Surface. I think both are excellent, but I stick to the fine version.

The next stage will be to cut the main parts off the sprue and dry fit them. This will tell me if I can build and paint the fuselage and wings as separate assembles. It will depend on the joint at the wing and fuselage. If it's a good fit requiring no filler, I will be able to paint and even put the decals on before the final stage.

Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 2

Preparatory stages but a good start. I like your reasoning regarding weather to assemble the fuselage and wings together or as separate assemblies.

Keep posting. It will take me a while to start mine.

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello Jaime, thank you. I understand you have at least one Phantom to finish before starting your Battle of Britain subjects. Good luck with that. I'll look forward to seeing you join this build. Joe :)

• Like 1