Hi Joe, I'm afraid it's three Phantoms... One Royal Navy, one RAF with Alcock & Brown commemorative scheme (both already with fuselages and wings glued together) and one RAF with combat camouflage and shark teeth (!).

I'll be away for the week-end, so I won't be able to work on them, but I'll take the Defiant /Do 17z instructions with me and intend to do some planning of the builds.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good on you Jaime, that's more than I make in a year. It's a good idea to study the plans. I make notes on mine, paint colours etc. I also highlight any holes that have to be drilled so I don't forget them. Have a good weekend. :) Joe

• Like 1

I'm using the GBs as a way of imposing some deadlines on my builds, in order to becoming more efficient. With this 3-Phantom build I found that if one builds similar kits simultaneously, the build efficiency increases a lot. It's also possible to improve the building steps when repeating them for the second or third similar kit.

Regarding planning the builds, I start by identifying all the paints needed and grouping parts with the same colours. I also make two painting groups: acrylic paints and Alclad paints, since different primers are needed. This way it's possible to improve the painting efficiency. I also try to identify the best building order, taking into account the painting phases, which not always coincides with the building order in the instructions.

Have a great week-end!

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you Jaime.

Just a test run to get an idea of the fit of the fuselage and wings.

image.jpg1_zpspiou9eti.jpg

First I glued the undercarriage bay in place to help stiffen the wing. A couple of soft grip pegs, some extra thin cement and capillary action done the rest.

image.jpg2_zpsdkmvaxwz.jpg

Even with no internal bulkheads to help stiffen the fuselage, the joint looks very good.

image.jpg3_zpsmr50x2yk.jpg

The horizontal stabilisers were a push fit.

Next, I will glue as many parts together as possible before the first painting stage. Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 7

Looks promising, Joe. I won't be able to be so quick because I will have to do some surgery to install the PE flaps.

Jaime

• Like 1

Looks promising, Joe. I won't be able to be so quick because I will have to do some surgery to install the PE flaps.

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, your Defiant will have a lot more detail than mine. I'm sure it will look great when you've finished it. Your using group builds as a dead line is a very good idea. I've only done one on line build before this one. People leaving posts did encourage me to finish it, otherwise I wouldn't have built it so quick. That has been my only model so far this year. I'm committed to another group build this year, so with that one and this one I should have at least two more made this year. I've started gluing some of the Defiant together. It goes together really well. The plastic is a little softer than I used to, and I was a little heavy handed with the glue. I'll take a bit more care the next time I glue parts together. Nothing wrong with the kit, it was me applying to much glue. Thank you for your post on my build. I will follow yours with interest. Joe

• Like 1

Thank you Rob, I'm hoping to get the cockpit painted during the week so I can start adding the etched parts. But I'm not the fasted of builders. Joe

Hi again, Joe. I'm sure you will provide us with another of your impressive models. I've started my planning last night. Nothing too special, just a first listing of paints needed. It seems the Defiant had gunmetal painted wheel wells and wheel hubs? Is it the same in your instructions? I ask this because the colour references for the pilots seem odd... Humbrol 90 (sky) for face colour? I'll post my colour list later in my thread.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you very much dadgaddad, but it neither of those two. The hero was seeking revenge after seeing his partner killed in cold blood. He would only fly when he wore the scarf the old lady had given him. But thank you anyway. What a price those old books are now!

I've got that book! Must dig it out of wherever in the attic it is.

The pilot gets the scarf from an old lady in the Spanish Civil War and it becomes his lucky charm. I remember him flying Defiants and then a Meteor where he meets his old nemesis (who's in a long nose 190)..

Ahh...them were the days.

Nice build by the way!

Dermot

• Like 1

I've got that book! Must dig it out of wherever in the attic it is.

The pilot gets the scarf from an old lady in the Spanish Civil War and it becomes his lucky charm. I remember him flying Defiants and then a Meteor where he meets his old nemesis (who's in a long nose 190)..

Ahh...them were the days.

Nice build by the way!

Dermot

Bang on Dermot! Go to the top of the class. I forgot about the Spanish Civil War, but your right. That's what made me rush out and get the Airfix Defiant. If I remember correctly, his nemesis shot his gunner when they bailed out. Thank you very much Dermot. If you remember the title, could you please let me know. Regards, Joe

I always liked the Defiant. No reason why.

Pitty they never did the kit in 1/32 nd or even 1/24 th scale.

My only hope for a 1/ 24 th Defiant will be Airfix.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

I always liked the Defiant. No reason why.

Pitty they never did the kit in 1/32 nd or even 1/24 th scale.

My only hope for a 1/ 24 th Defiant will be Airfix.

An Airfix Defiant in 1/24? That would just be too much fun. Rotating turret, moveable guns, oh yes!

• Like 1

Hi again, Joe. I'm sure you will provide us with another of your impressive models. I've started my planning last night. Nothing too special, just a first listing of paints needed. It seems the Defiant had gunmetal painted wheel wells and wheel hubs? Is it the same in your instructions? I ask this because the colour references for the pilots seem odd... Humbrol 90 (sky) for face colour? I'll post my colour list later in my thread.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime, sorry I didn't see your post. Thank you. I wondered about that as well. I'm not to sure, It's the same in my instructions. I was going to ask Stew as he's posted a Dog Fight Double on here which excluded the New Airfix Defiant. If I find out, I'll let you know. Joe.
  • Like 1

Hello Jaime, sorry I didn't see your post. Thank you. I wondered about that as well. I'm not to sure, It's the same in my instructions. I was going to ask Stew as he's posted a Dog Fight Double on here which excluded the New Airfix Defiant. If I find out, I'll let you know. Joe.

Thanks for the confirmation, Joe. I think I have the thread you mention bookmarked. If I find that it first in the meanwhile, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation, Joe. I think I have the thread you mention bookmarked. If I find that it first in the meanwhile, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, that would be most helpful. Joe

Hi Joe, and Jaime, if I recall the paint instructions in the Dogfight Double set were quite odd so I ignored them - I think they used the nearest match to the colours provided in the little pots of paint and in a couple of cases 'nearest' was 'nowhere near'.

I would go with either interior green or sky for the wheelbays and either aluminium or black for the undercarriage legs - feel free to ask around though as I am not an expert :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Rob, Stew,

curiously enough, the instructions direct us to paint the undercarriage legs black and the inner surfaces of the wheel well doors sky (!)

Cheers

%
  • Like 1

Hi Joe, and Jaime, if I recall the paint instructions in the Dogfight Double set were quite odd so I ignored them - I think they used the nearest match to the colours provided in the little pots of paint and in a couple of cases 'nearest' was 'nowhere near'.

I would go with either interior green or sky for the wheelbays and either aluminium or black for the undercarriage legs - feel free to ask around though as I am not an expert :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew. I'll been gluing some of the parts together. They are nicely moulded, but very delicate. Joe

Thank you Stew. I'll been gluing some of the parts together. They are nicely moulded, but very delicate. Joe

I know what you mean Joe, but when all those undercarriage parts are glued together they are sturdy enough to drop the model on the floor without breaking (... ask me how I know!)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I know what you mean Joe, but when all those undercarriage parts are glued together they are sturdy enough to drop the model on the floor without breaking (... ask me how I know!)

Cheers,

Stew

Don't tell me you dropped it! I broke a pair of the gun barrels in half without even knowing it. Luckly I've found them. I see I'm going to have to take care. This is the first 1/72nd scale model I've made in a while. I'm a bit clumsy sometimes since I've developed HAVS (white finger). It's not a problem, but it affects my grip sometimes. Joe

Yep Joe, and on the tiled kitchen floor too!

If you can get the parts off the sprue without breaking them they are fine, but that's the trick, isn't it?

Sorry to hear about the white finger, did you used to work a pneumatic drill? Chainsaw?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Yep Joe, and on the tiled kitchen floor too!

If you can get the parts off the sprue without breaking them they are fine, but that's the trick, isn't it?

Sorry to hear about the white finger, did you used to work a pneumatic drill? Chainsaw?

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Air powered tools, but a rivet gun and small diamond circular saw were the worst culprits. I don't use them anymore, so it should not get any worse. :)

Watching with interest.

Can't do popcorn thing as I'm on me iPad.

Rick.

Thanks Rick. I do everything on an ipad too, so all I can do is this :)
  • Like 1