That's a great technique Joe :)

I've had a quick search for mactac and, unusually, there are no ads for Amazon! There also seem to be a number of products with the same name (manufacturer) so could you please have a look for a product specifics or, even better, let me know where I can buy some? Thanks! :)

Thank you CebB. I'll drop you a PM. Joe.

After I've given the paint 24 hours to dry, I give it a light rub with micro-mesh. I then covered the wing with black gouache. Some people find it a bit dark, also it can stain the paint. In this case, I only applied it to the port side of the top and bottom wing so you can compare the before and after result.

image.jpg2_zpsrnv75xib.jpg

Rub the gouache on with a piece of kitchen roll.

image.jpg1_zpsrq3malvj.jpg

The undercarriage bay will need to be done more carefully.

image.jpg5_zpsy9lhnyko.jpg

After the gouache has been wiped off with a moist piece of kitchen roll.

image.jpg3_zpsmjcnc5gm.jpg

Any areas missed can be revisited and given another application.

Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 9

Very nice sofshine brown and green !.

Won't it be a problem painting the wing now when it still has to be glued to the fuselage.?

Thank you Erwin. It should not be a problem. The fit of the fuselage is very good and will not need filling. I will make and paint the fuselage in the same way. Then I can just glue the two sections together. I've often made models this way. Joe.

imagejpg1_zps4b1e4c76.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Erwin. It should not be a problem. The fit of the fuselage is very good and will not need filling. I will make and paint the fuselage in the same way. Then I can just glue the two sections together. I've often made models this way. Joe.

OK. It's just a method I would never use.

Looking forward to see the end result.

• Like 1

imagejpg1_zps4b1e4c76.jpg

It looks a lot like those" snap-together pre-painted no glue needed"kits.

Very nice !

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

It looks a lot like those" snap-together pre-painted no glue needed"kits.

That's right. The one you can see is the Tamiya 1/48th scale IL-2 Sthurmovic. I made it in subassemblies and glued them together. If the fit is good, it can be done.

After I've given the paint 24 hours to dry, I give it a light rub with micro-mesh. I then covered the wing with black gouache. Some people find it a bit dark, also it can stain the paint. In this case, I only applied it to the port side of the top and bottom wing so you can compare the before and after result.

image.jpg2_zpsrnv75xib.jpg

Rub the gouache on with a piece of kitchen roll.

image.jpg1_zpsrq3malvj.jpgThe undercarriage bay will need to be done more carefully.After the gouache has been wiped off with a moist piece of kitchen roll.

Any areas missed can be revisited and given another application.

Thank you for looking, Joe

I like this approach to post-shading, but have a question ...

Why not add decals (and, perhaps, your 1st coat of varnish) before using the gouache?

This would allow panel lines to show through other markings

• Like 1

I like this approach to post-shading, but have a question ...

Why not add decals (and, perhaps, your 1st coat of varnish) before using the gouache?

This would allow panel lines to show through other markings

Hello Robert, the reason I don't add the decals is because the gouache can stain the paint. If this happens, the paint under the clear parts of the decal ( the areas prone to silvering) look a lighter shade. I gouache on top of the decals once in place, but I don't always varnish the model if I want a bit of a shine. I hope this helps, if not, I've a model which shows exactly what I mean. I just can't remember which one it was. Joe

• Like 1

Beautiful modelling, Joe. Your "special" way to build aircrafts is also in a smaller scale interesting. Looking forward to your coming progress

• Like 1

Very nice Joe. Very glad I tagged along for this one!!

Can you PM me the details also? Sounds like it could be great for squadron codes... And I need to do a few of them!

Also very nice effect with the gouache! I'm off to raid the wife's arty bits and bob's!

Rob

• Like 2

Hello Robert, the reason I don't add the decals is because the gouache can stain the paint. If this happens, the paint under the clear parts of the decal ( the areas prone to silvering) look a lighter shade. I gouache on top of the decals once in place, but I don't always varnish the model if I want a bit of a shine. I hope this helps, if not, I've a model which shows exactly what I mean. I just can't remember which one it was. Joe

Thanks, that makes sense

• Like 1

Beautiful modelling, Joe. Your "special" way to build aircrafts is also in a smaller scale interesting. Looking forward to your coming progress

Hello Bernd, nice to hear from you. Thank you. I hope to start the internal detail over the weekend : )

Very nice Joe. Very glad I tagged along for this one!!

Can you PM me the details also? Sounds like it could be great for squadron codes... And I need to do a few of them!

Also very nice effect with the gouache! I'm off to raid the wife's arty bits and bob's!

Rob

Thanks Rob, will do. Don't let you wife catch you. :)

• Like 1

Have read your build from start to now and feel that i'v picked up so many good tips taht i will try myself . So a big thank you for your time itaken in sharing them.

Thank you Mottlemaster, that's very good of you. I'm pleased you've picked up some ideas. I've learnt lots from this site myself. But it's nice to know I also give people ideas. Thanks again Mottlemaster, regards, Joe

• Like 2

Hi Joe. I'm very impressed with your use of gouache.........it really gives good effect. I like the way you demonstrated the difference between the sides too. Lovely stuff!

• Like 1

Hi Joe. I'm very impressed with your use of gouache.........it really gives good effect. I like the way you demonstrated the difference between the sides too. Lovely stuff!

Thanks Stix, gouache is so easy to use. I've also sprayed it on. When it's thinned with water, you can give it a light coat which is easier to clean off in hard to get to areas, like the undercarriage bays for example.

• Like 2

I positioned parts C4 (forward bulkhead), B5 (seat mounting bulkhead) and B2 (gun turret deck) between the two fuselage halves, which acted as a jig to ensure all the parts were level and square. I then ran just a small amount of Tamiya extra thin cement on the port side only of parts C4 and B2 to secure them in place (I did use to much once, and glued the two halves together! :doh:). While the fuselage was taped together, I thought I would check the wing joint. Airfix has done a first class job on the joint, so painting the wing first worked out fine. I also took the opportunity to dry fit some other parts to see how they fitted.

image.jpg1_zpsvjmlblxr.jpg

All taped up (apart from the wings) with some other parts dry fitted

image.jpg2_zpskfexvfbg.jpg

The fuselage halves acted as a jig (the wings were not on at that stage) so I could glue in the parts (C4 & B2) from below with liquid glue.

image.jpg3_zpsblgsarhz.jpg

I will spray the undercarriage bays with gouache.

image.jpg4_zpseubt8ryt.jpg

It seems a lot of work just to glue two parts in place. The advantage is, I know they fit when both fuselage halves are joined together, and will line up perfectly. Also, I don't no nasty surprises later during the build. B2 was glued out of sequence, but this will not effect the other parts fitting. Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 5

Nice work Joe B)

My experience with the fit of parts in the Defiant kit mirrors yours, I had no issues whatsoever and everything virtually clicked into place... hope yours continues as smoothly.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Nice work Joe B)

My experience with the fit of parts in the Defiant kit mirrors yours, I had no issues whatsoever and everything virtually clicked into place... hope yours continues as smoothly.

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew, what are the transparencies on the leading edge of the wing like? I forgot to try them before I painted the wing. :hmmm:

Found this interesting little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9My4IKydo

What an excellent little video that is. Thank you for posting. Anyone making a Defiant will find that interesting. Joe

• Like 1

Witty, wonderful and informative. An educational WIP, Joe, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Forgive what could be foolishness, but was that or was that not a black defiant with a volkes filter.... If so that's a bit different

Excellent vid I will have to see if they do others

Also Joe cracking work with the dry fitting, have to say looking at and dry fitting my kit it is a bit of a gem, and you are very much polishing it to a great shine

Rob