ZM 1/32 Horten Ho 229

georgeusa

This arrived today right before lunch; the 1/32 Zoukei-Mura Horten Ho 229. Now my plan for lunch today was to tackle the nose parts of the Airfix Typhoon to see if I could get them to line up. Needless to say, I got distracted and just drooled over this kit. Here is a peek into what’s in the box.

boxart1.jpg

This cover goes over a plain cardboard box containing all the good stuff. It was packed quite well and not one single piece was off of its respective sprue. And, this is what they look like:

spruem.jpg

sprueg.jpg

spruen.jpg

boxcontents1.jpg

sprueekj.jpg

spruer.jpg

sprueo.jpg

sprued.jpg

spruel.jpg

spruec.jpg

sprueb.jpg

spruei.jpg

spruea.jpg

spruef.jpg

spruehpq.jpg

I was very surprised at the contents. I knew the option to do the kit as a clear version was included, but I thought it would be like the 1/24 Trumpeter Bf 109 kit with alternative clear parts. Not quite, this is designed to be built as a clear version and then afterwards, if you want, you can paint it. The exterior parts are all clear; well sorta. Many of the exterior parts are canopy clear. The main parts, the fuselage and wings are this cloudy clear version. I am not sure of the reasoning why these parts are semi-clear as opposed to completely clear like the canopy parts. Very odd. The detail looks good and the framework that needs to be built up looks complicated and challenging. The decals are nice, but not exceptional.

decals.jpg

There is also one correction piece in the box for part F-3. It was quite prominently displayed so it would be hard to miss and use the incorrect piece on the F sprue. That is a nice touch.

replacementpartF-3.jpg

The manual is what can be expected from Zoukei-Mura as it is quite detailed and has examples of the built up parts. colour callouts are only for Vallejo paints.

manual.jpg

It looks like 45 pages of modeling fun. I am desperately trying to resist immediately starting on this kit. I have too many others that need to be finished. Hopefully, I can finish one or two prior to this weekend. If I do, this kit is jumping ahead on my to do list. So a WIP will be posted soon. If anyone has more questions or would like more detailed photos, please let me know. Now just how much Future do I have on stock? Probably need more!

• Like 3

Tim,

I don't know if I will leave it clear or not. I will build it with that in mind. So the first step is to coat all the clear parts in Future. Then I have to be extremely careful with the glue and joins as there can be no sanding involved or else the clear finish will be ruined. The likelihood of me not having a fingerprint or two here and there is slim to none. I guess I will see just how well this kit is designed because for the life of me, I don't know how to fill gaps with clear filler.

colour callouts

Colour spelt correctly, I am most impressed. Not even hendie can manage this despite my remonstrations.

Lots of clear parts that I would paint opaque to be frank. The very best of British luck with it. I am looking forward to what you do with this, is it a most amazing kit.

Cheers,

Nigel

Rick,

It was an experimental plane developed that was in the developmental stage at the end of the war. It was a tailess plane with stealth capabilities built into it. Zoukei-Mura kits are known for their detail in that they create kits that try to show how an aircraft was built. A lot of their detail is hidden once the kit is built up. This is the first kit they have done that allows you to build it with a clear skin that will show all of the interior frame workings.

• Like 1

Dave,

I would suggest you get there early as I expect these to go out the door very fast. On first appearances it looks daunting when you look over the build sequences for the frame work. It's hard to resist starting it right now. But, I must be good and finish a couple of kits first. Have fun at Telford. Wish I could go.

Build it quickly my man with the speed of a Legion of finest Roman chariots (and avoiding any drive through). Put the Typhoon on the back burner. This 229 has to take priority. And play Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries loudly at the same time

• Like 1

Seems a little strange to include every fan in the engines, but then make the engine walls opaque, when such a large amount of plastic is provided as clear.

I think the rough translucent appearance of some parts might be to increase paint adherence, but I guess it might also be a cost saving, if there is a cost involved in polishing the moulds to a higher standard to achieve the high clarity areas.

Thanks for these links, I appreciate it.

Seems a little strange to include every fan in the engines, but then make the engine walls opaque, when such a large amount of plastic is provided as clear.

I think the rough translucent appearance of some parts might be to increase paint adherence, but I guess it might also be a cost saving, if there is a cost involved in polishing the moulds to a higher standard to achieve the high clarity areas.

Ben,

I have no clue why some areas are not so clear. Maybe it is a cost savings thing.

How does the wash out look on the kit? I am led to believe that the wings should have a significant twist nose down along the wings from root to tip.

regards,

Martin

I think I would be tempted to paint it as a freeform "cutaway" model. That would allow you to use glue/filler etc. as normal and all those areas would be painted. For example, you could do the entire port side in whatever scheme you chose, then on the starboard side, apply the same scheme around any joints, but leave say, parts of the upper and lower wing, parts of the fuselage etc. transparent

Like a mixture of this.... http://www.westway-aircraft-models.com/resources/IMG_0715.jpg

and this..... http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/4a/32/3b/4a323b7f08c857f7c5e1a8c155a74af2.jpg

but with the skin on

masking would be easy - overlay a few strips of masking tape on your cutting board, cut a freeform shape, remove the unwanted outer edges, and lay your freeform masking anywhere on the aircraft that takes your fancy.

Could be a very cool project!

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

How does the wash out look on the kit? I am led to believe that the wings should have a significant twist nose down along the wings from root to tip.

regards,

Martin

I do not know yet. I will check it out tonight and let you know.

This isn't HORTON by Goddess ! Jimmy Horton was american country singer (To Alaska, Sink the Bismarck !). This is HORTEN !!!! Work of german engineers and aircraft visionary brothers Horten's ...

• Like 1