Revell 1:48 Chinook

james424

Hi all,

I'm just about to get started on my revell 1:48 chinook and before I go delving on in to the box I would like to know if anyone has built this before or had any experince with this kit? If anyone has, or you know someone that has, is there anything you found wrong with the model i.e. fit of certain parts etc, is there any good aftermarket type stuff kicking around for it r got any good pointers to help me along. I've had a look about but there's nothing that springs immediately out at me... Any advice or information is most appreciated.

Cheers guys,

James :speak_cool:

Thats not a good start, I've not had good dealings with Italeri before. The finished article usually ends up involving a plastic carrier bag and a wheely bin. Hope Revell have done something to make it better!!!

I'm far from a great modeller (even good perhaps) but this went together really well. only areas of concern for me were

1. Needed alot of filler on the underside

2. Had a big gap appear above the front screen

3. Had some decal silvering before I learned about Microsol

Otherwise I enjoyed the experience.

3654015859_97fdb78716_z.jpg

3654016093_94d9a41eaa_z.jpg

3654815598_27b35fa3ed_z.jpg

3625313611_8550176579_z.jpg

• Like 1

Royster - Model looks good. Hope mine goes together as well as that did.

Jabba - Having a look now.

Hood - The last Italeri I built had a first and only flight, accompanied to the tune of me going "You piece of :angrysoapbox.sml: "... That said, I wasn't in the best of moods when it happened.

Edited by james424

Here's the one I did.

link

Enjoyed every minute of it ....just take your time. The only thing I found at the end was that it did not sit on all the sets of wheels. Well it was cheap!!

If it was me I'd fill most panellines as they're not there on the real thing. Looks like Italeri put engraved lines instead of lines of rivets (which the Chinook has many!).

Are you planning on just making a chinook or are you a 'rivet counter' and want to make a specific chinook? The reason I ask is that the Revell/Italeri version you have is a Mk 1 chinook, since mid 90's the RAF have been flying the Mk2 (a modified Mk1). If you want to build a Mk2 there are a fair few differences which I can list if you want? This would invloved some modifying and the purchase of at least the CMK lumps and bumps for the outside.

Let me know

Justin

Hi Justin, I'm just after making a chinook to be honest. I'm going to get the Italeri detailing set when I get chance but if you could bive me a few of the update points I'll try and modernise it a little. I'm not too good at the whole adjusting a kit type of stuff, I'm still trying to get my paint work right, ha ha.

Are you planning on just making a chinook or are you a 'rivet counter' and want to make a specific chinook? The reason I ask is that the Revell/Italeri version you have is a Mk 1 chinook, since mid 90's the RAF have been flying the Mk2 (a modified Mk1). If you want to build a Mk2 there are a fair few differences which I can list if you want? This would invloved some modifying and the purchase of at least the CMK lumps and bumps for the outside.

Let me know

Justin

And the fleet is now a mix of HC2's & 3's. The latter has totally different external tanks & the flightdeck is different I believe, but probably not noticeable in a model. There will soon also be HC4's & 5's..... If you're building a Chinook operating in the UK they often don't carry all the defensive aids, so you don't necessarily need all the CMK bits. The rotor blades definitely need modifying from a HC1 if you're building a 2, but I seem to recall the revell kit has the modified blades? (or at least an attempt at them)

The main 'problem' with the Italeri/Revell kit to me is the rear ramp where it meets the fuselage - it has a major step when open in the kit which isn't there on the real thing (can you imagine how many squadies would fall over it if there was.....!!! :whistle::D )

K

Edited by keefr22

And the fleet is now a mix of HC2's & 3's. The latter has totally different external tanks & the flightdeck is different I believe, but probably not noticeable in a model. There will soon also be HC4's & 5's..... If you're building a Chinook operating in the UK they often don't carry all the defensive aids, so you don't necessarily need all the CMK bits. The rotor blades definitely need modifying from a HC1 if you're building a 2, but I seem to recall the revell kit has the modified blades? (or at least an attempt at them)

The main 'problem' with the Italeri/Revell kit to me is the rear ramp where it meets the fuselage - it has a major step when open in the kit which isn't there on the real thing (can you imagine how many squadies would fall over it if there was.....!!! :whistle::D )

K

The Mk3s flight deck was modded back to Mk2 standard before they came into service, and will be the same as the Mk4 when they go through modification in the future. Although the defensive aids may not be fitted whilst operating in the UK, dummy dispensers are fitted in the fuselage mounts that cannot be blanked.

The Mk3s flight deck was modded back to Mk2 standard before they came into service, and will be the same as the Mk4 when they go through modification in the future.

Do you know why Mk3 pilots can't fly Mk2's & vice versa then? I've always found that fairly strange, even if the flightdecks were different!

Although the defensive aids may not be fitted whilst operating in the UK, dummy dispensers are fitted in the fuselage mounts that cannot be blanked.

Accepted, but the dummy equipment looks to be fairly easy to scratchbuild from plasticard & putty? And should be a bit cheaper than CMK stuff....!! You wouldn't need the guns fitted on ops either - & I don't know if they are available in 1/48th? Or the big sand filters either - I know Model Alliance does them in 1/72nd, but again not sure of 48th?

What's your opinion of the blades in the Revell kit? I 'think' they may be a bit narrow in chord, but it's not enough to worry me on first glance (admittedly though I bought the kit, had a quick look & now it's disappeared somewhere in the 'to do one day' pile!!)

K