MiG15 bis

From now on, most of my builds will probably be 1/72 - I've pretty much run out of airspace in the study and I'm discovering that the small scale kits cost less but the range is so much wider.

I've actually got a 1/48 Il2 on the boil and a 1/48 An2 ready for the Soviet Foreign Service GB, but after that, it'll mostly be dinky scale. Starting the ball rolling with this kit...

IMG_0003.jpg

Simple, benign and cheap, the Airfix Mig15 is a sweet little new-tool, and I love the way the box is full to bursting point. On the down side, the wheels are almost comically small and it suffers from the recent Airfix malaise of panel lines that Luke Skywalker would be tempted to fly his X-wing down, but these lend it a toy-like charm that doesn't displease me. Anyway, they calmed down quite a bit under several layers of paint.

IMG_0004.jpg

I had the bright idea of dropping the flaps, to break up the outline a little, so out with the craft knife & hack hack gouge slash. It then struck me that I had no idea if the Fagot had split flaps (or even flaps at all). a quick google calmed my fears and on I ploughed.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

After my experience with the S6B, I was pleased to discover that I could still turn out a workmanlike 1/72 kit. The (brush applied) paint job looks good to me although I didn't quite get the flaked off paint effect that I really wanted. However, I rate myself about 7 out of 10 on the strength of this one. I toyed with the idea of holding back till the Sov Foreign GB with this, but I couldn't wait to get started.

Hope u liek

I can't understand those who 'down' the Airfix MiG-15.. It's a nice little kit, plenty of detail and some excellent decal options.. ;) Ok, so there are some size issues, if lined up next to the HobbyBoss kit (which some claim to be accurate) and maybe the panel lines are a bit deep, but after a couple of coats of paint they're hardly visible, and at the end of the day the model does look like a MiG-15 when built, and surely that is what matters most?? :)

Nice camo pattern / paint job and a great little model, in my opinion.. :) I'll probably get a couple built fairly soon.. :)

I can't understand those who 'down' the Airfix MiG-15.. It's a nice little kit, plenty of detail and some excellent decal options.. ;) Ok, so there are some size issues, if lined up next to the HobbyBoss kit (which some claim to be accurate) and maybe the panel lines are a bit deep, but after a couple of coats of paint they're hardly visible, and at the end of the day the model does look like a MiG-15 when built, and surely that is what matters most?? :)

Nice camo pattern / paint job and a great little model, in my opinion.. :) I'll probably get a couple built fairly soon.. :)

Couldn't agree more - for a nice bit of stress free modelling, what could be better than an Airfix new-tooling? Ta :)

it has pathetic wheels and totally wrong wing sweep as well as other niggles...i bought one, and a waste. i have around 30 Mig 15 kits at least and while some of the others need a little work, due to age, they are much more accurate. for such a brand new kit, the errors are a laugh

it has pathetic wheels and totally wrong wing sweep as well as other niggles...i bought one, and a waste. i have around 30 Mig 15 kits at least and while some of the others need a little work, due to age, they are much more accurate. for such a brand new kit, the errors are a laugh

Quite agree. Bought this one because I wanted to support the reborn Airfix and because I assumed that the new tooling would have been properly researched (there is after all one at Yeovilton) and an improvement over the tolerable KP one. How wrong I was: fuselage length seriously out and consequential errors in most angles eg wing sweep. I feel right royally conned: like Jules says, a complete waste of my money. Yes, it looks like a MiG-15 more than anything else but it's sadly deficient as a scale model. All credit to Airfix for the big strides they've definitely made since but it'll still be a while before I buy any Airfix kit sight unseen.

Quite agree. Bought this one because I wanted to support the reborn Airfix and because I assumed that the new tooling would have been properly researched (there is after all one at Yeovilton) and an improvement over the tolerable KP one. How wrong I was: fuselage length seriously out and consequential errors in most angles eg wing sweep. I feel right royally conned: like Jules says, a complete waste of my money. Yes, it looks like a MiG-15 more than anything else but it's sadly deficient as a scale model. All credit to Airfix for the big strides they've definitely made since but it'll still be a while before I buy any Airfix kit sight unseen.

well to be fair to airfix, i had a long chat with the main guy at telford, and he confired they had a HUGE amount of complaints, and the guy that designed had been moved on. i told him i have many many books, a huge amount of kits of this plane, and i would have bought at least 10 if it had been better...ok lots of books have faults and im no expert on this plane, i know naff all really, but the faults hit me in the face...

he said they would look at reworking it in the near futre if they could.

Well, I don't count rivets, it is only a hobby after all.. a bit of relaxation and fun.. Some modellers do take it all far too seriously.., :shithappens:

But then again, that is their angle on the hobby and I respect that.. :bounce:

Edited by BasicModelling

Well, I don't count rivets, it is only a hobby after all.. a bit of relaxation and fun.. Some modellers do take it all far too seriously.., :shithappens:

But then again, that is their angle on the hobby and I respect that.. :deadhorse:

i dont count rivets and i build for fun, but i expect a brand new tooling not to have so many bad stupid errors. the errors they got right on the very old kit...

airfix got rightly slated for the kit.

you wouldnt buy a new bmw, and find it had many problems would you?

i dont count rivets and i build for fun, but i expect a brand new tooling not to have so many bad stupid errors. the errors they got right on the very old kit...

airfix got rightly slated for the kit.

you wouldnt buy a new bmw, and find it had many problems would you?

I don't know, as I don't drive.. :D But in principle, yes I agree with you.. they should have researched more and made sure the kit was near faultless, after all it is not cheap to develop a new kit, and any negative reactions are bound to affect sales of other kits as well.

All the same, I'm looking forward to building mine, but I guess I'll make them flying on a stand, as that will solve the wheel issue, at least.. :) I certainly won't bin them.. :)

Exellant job, on a very good kit that apparently has a few problems. God help Airfix if they ever tried to bring out a new tool kit for under £6 that was perfect!!! People moan about Dragon releasing 72nd scale kits at £27, but then have a pop because they have to actually do some modelling on a £6 kit. I like the kit, I love this build, and I'm going to build loads more

Mark

Exellant job, on a very good kit that apparently has a few problems. God help Airfix if they ever tried to bring out a new tool kit for under £6 that was perfect!!! People moan about Dragon releasing 72nd scale kits at £27, but then have a pop because they have to actually do some modelling on a £6 kit. I like the kit, I love this build, and I'm going to build loads more

Mark

you go and have fun with it, its your choice, but its a very poor kit, not a very good kit, the amount of others that say the same must mean it is. everyone would have complained if the 48th vixen had such stupid errors.. i dont care if its 6 quid, 16 quid or 60 quid...the errors are a joke

It's an excellent kit. I'm in the process of building my second one and it just about falls together.

If you were saying that the finished model has some issues, then I'd agree. I have the same thoughts about the Tamiya 1/48th scale Spitfires. However as model kits I think both the Airfix MiG and the Tamiya Spitfires (for example) are very good.

So is the new Airfix Bf109G, for that matter.

John

Christ what have you started here Campbell?.......I think you have done a cracking job mate!......the kit might have a few problems but hey ho, its a pretty cheap kit I think?....In my youth all the kits were like this and I thoroully enjoyed building them.....I don't know ..............the younger generation!! :rolleyes:

oh by the way....did you build that in a day? :o

Edited by Fozzy

I feel a Monty Python moment coming on...

"It's only a model..."

:-)

Well it is, isn't it?

It looks good.

You enjoyed making it.

We enjoyed looking at it.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

BB

There's obviously a lot of views on this and everyone so far is right. Thanks for the kind words everyone. By the way, I bought the kit partly on the strength of this review which, last time I looked, didn't have a single complaint about the kit...

you go and have fun with it, its your choice, but its a very poor kit, not a very good kit, the amount of others that say the same must mean it is. everyone would have complained if the 48th vixen had such stupid errors.. i dont care if its 6 quid, 16 quid or 60 quid...the errors are a joke

:) I will continue your BMW analogy a little if I may, though...

If I bought a BMW and it's wheels fell off, I would be particularly unhappy, but, give or take a few silly errors that's not the problem with this model. It's more akin to buying a BMW and discovering that it didn't have an engine, it let the rain in coz it doesn't have a roof, it only just had room in it for my golf clubs and the driver has to stand outside and push. Oh, by the way, it only cost me a quid at Tesco's... Yup, it's a useless BMW, but it's a perfectly adequate shopping trolley.

The Airfix Mig is rubbish at being an accurate representation, fit for competitions and masses of AM add-ons. However, as a low cost, entry level kit? It looks more like a MiG15 than an Me109, it fits together without a single problem and it's good to be knocked out in a weekend, perhaps by an inexperienced modeller, or someone (like me) who's confidence needed a bit of a boost. On those terms, it's an excellent kit and hits all of the right spots. Horses for courses, innit?

By the way... BMW drivers? Hate em. What has four wheels and a willy? A BMW :innocent: Spawn of the devil ;)

Christ what have you started here Campbell?.......I think you have done a cracking job mate!......the kit might have a few problems but hey ho, its a pretty cheap kit I think?....In my youth all the kits were like this and I thoroully enjoyed building them.....I don't know ..............the younger generation!! :rolleyes:

oh by the way....did you build that in a day? :o

Agent provocateur, me? :) As a Mr O Wilde once said, it is better to be talked about than never talked about...

Took me a week, working slow.

Edited by crookedmouth

Mark

Hear, hear!! This is what modelling is all about!!! :) :) :thumbsup: