Preview of Model Alliance Nimrod decals on Hyperscale

John

No more than you would expectfrom MA - class decals.

Well, to be strictly accurate, no more than you'd expect from our very own Mr Mock. In fact very often MA's decals are a total crap-shoot accuracy wise. Better recently but still need careful evaluation. (Do you want to know how horrendously inaccurate their Sea Kng sheet is?)

Well thanks for the kind comments, some of the Britmodeller crowd have seen those sheets evolve over time and have made valuable contributions (all acknowledged on the sheets), I like to think of it as a team effort.

My only regret was that there was another sheet's worth of aircraft that I would have loved to have done, some interesting markings rarely seen, but ran out of time trying to tie down photos and information, so maybe they can be done in the future.

Well, to be strictly accurate, no more than you'd expect from our very own Mr Mock. In fact very often MA's decals are a total crap-shoot accuracy wise. Better recently but still need careful evaluation. (Do you want to know how horrendously inaccurate their Sea Kng sheet is?)

Want to get started on the Hawk sheets as well :)

My only regret was that there was another sheet's worth of aircraft that I would have loved to have done, some interesting markings rarely seen, but ran out of time trying to tie down photos and information, so maybe they can be done in the future.

I like the one with the Octopus on the black fin. Nice.

XV246 had several variations - I believe it was a Falklands aircraft, then converted to -2P.

Lee

Edited by regulus

Didn't realise the RAE operated a Nimrod. Was it finished in the same Raspberry Ripple scheme as their Comet?

No, or at least not fully. It was a white-top with hemp below and a red tail section and wing tips, and white rudder & 'lumps'. Also, from the picture I have it looks as though the wings were unpainted apart from the red tips and hemp 'lumps'. Definitely the Nimrod I would go for if I get to buy one.

Now then, does this MA release come as 4 sheets in one super-expensive pack, or as separate slightly less expensive individual sheets?

No, or at least not fully. It was a white-top with hemp below and a red tail section and wing tips, and white rudder & 'lumps'. Also, from the picture I have it looks as though the wings were unpainted apart from the red tips and hemp 'lumps'. Definitely the Nimrod I would go for if I get to buy one.

Now then, does this MA release come as 4 sheets in one super-expensive pack, or as separate slightly less expensive individual sheets?

Not Hemp, but Light Aircraft Grey. The aircraft was XV148, one of two unsold Comet 4Cs (actually the last one made) re-built as Nimrod prototypes, including shortening the fuselage back to Comet 4 length. It was non-standard in that it had more side windows than production Nimrods, lacked the 'eyebrow' windows above the cockpit and didn't have a searchlight in the wing tank.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0681818/L/

The cockpit survives and is under long term restoration.

http://www.geocities.com/cometmp/nimrod_prototype.html

This was the first Nimrod fitted with Speys, XV147 having Avons, with different intakes and jet pipes

Edited by Dave Fleming

Now if only there were some side profiles so I could see what the actual aircraft depicted are.....

That sheet looks great.

I agree with Nev, any chance of some side profiles?

Anyone know what decals are planned by Airfix for the kit release?.

I hope the kit will inclued full stencil data to a good standard, as MA provide none.

Shaun.

That sheet looks great.

I agree with Nev, any chance of some side profiles?

Anyone know what decals are planned by Airfix for the kit release?.

I hope the kit will inclued full stencil data to a good standard, as MA provide none.

Shaun.

The stencils for the different colour schemes are all different colours anyway, they're not on the MA sheets simply because it would have filled up three separate sheets by itself.

Stencilling is on the kit decal sheet and is quite comprehensive.

The aircraft was XV148, one of two unsold Comet 4Cs (actually the last one made) re-built as Nimrod prototypes, including shortening the fuselage back to Comet 4 length. It was non-standard in that it had more side windows than production Nimrods, lacked the 'eyebrow' windows above the cockpit and didn't have a searchlight in the wing tank.

I'm beginning to wonder about that shortened fuselage, at least for XV148 when she wore the RAE markings. I scanned a near side-on photo from the Ian Allan book and (roughly) sized it up under my Nimrod GA drawings and it would appear to be standard Nimrod length.

nimtr4.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Mock

I'm beginning to wonder about that shortened fuselage, at least for XV148 when she wore the RAE markings. I scanned a near side-on photo from the Ian Allan book and (roughly) sized it up under my Nimrod GA drawings and it would appear to be standard Nimrod length.

yep, it is - Comet 4B/C fuselage was longer, Nimrod is standard Comet 4 length.

Bit rough, but show the extra length forward of the nose

nimtr4.jpg

The airframes were still incomplete as 4Cs, so they were amended before completion. All to do with centre of gravity I beleive.

Edited by Dave Fleming

The stencils for the different colour schemes are all different colours anyway, they're not on the MA sheets simply because it would have filled up three separate sheets by itself.

Stencilling is on the kit decal sheet and is quite comprehensive.

Have you seen the kit sheet?.

What's the print quility going to be like?.

I hope they use a good decal producer and do not inclued the normal poor fuzzy rubish that can come with Airfix kits :weep: