Airliners / Jumbo Landing

Hello ,

I imagine again your soft sarcasms about the short landing. At least, it looks like a runway : you cannot say the pilot landed on a racing car track !!!

Though, I thank you for your comments and encouragements on the other posts.
Could I keep these two aside ? In fact I started with them.

UTA had 2 -300 registered F-GETA / TB and 2 -200 registered F-BTDG / DH. The -200s went through SUD conversion. But retained their -200 main deck specificities (slides).
They all were Combis with the side Cargo door and used on the West Africa network either in 11 or 7 pallets versions according to the season..

Air France inherited them. And used them on the French West Indies network in a high density lay out. These destinations are now served with 777-300 high density versions.

Here are the last two "in one" . Each side being painted in the livery of each airline.
It took a long time to make up my mind whether to have a go. I finally decided to go through the surgery, the searching of pictures, cutting and sanding plastic card and it gave this :

Profile_UT.jpgProfile_AF.jpg

Front.jpgBack.jpg4FaceUT.jpg4avtd.jpg4arrd.jpg

747wing.jpgEngine_Gear.jpg
Touchdown_Gear.jpgfront747.jpg

The result was not too bad. But after viewing more close-up pictures, I realised that many features were not correct. Hasegawa's scribing is not accurate for the L/E slats which mislead me for the cutting and the location and size of the wing's fairings are not good either.

So I started again with a -400 this time. I used the same painting way but reversed the sides.

UTA had 2 -400 (F-GEXA and F-GEXB). GEXB had to be the left side one as she was a Combi.

A detail that can be noted on the models :
On the three molds -100/200 / -300 / -400, the rear bulk door shape is different. In my opinion, only the -400's is correct.

At the end of a long flight, silence has come back with engines on idle, then the last instant of lift, and... touchdown : wings outer end sinking, reverse roaring, spoilers raising...
Only the tyres smoke is missing !!!

747_400_AFProfile.jpg747_400_UT.jpg
747_400_Back.jpg747_400_UTProfile.jpg

Here is a picture of the Boeing family :
Petits_Grand.jpgPhotode_Famille.jpg

Others should now follow soon in different liveries.

Happy modelling week-end to all.

Edited by AV O
  • Like 9

Now thats a lovely sight to go to bed on, a pair of gorgeous 747's :wub: Excellent work there as I can imagine in that scale, dealing with trailing and leading edge flaps & slats is no easy task :worthy:

Thanks again for a lovely set of airliners, especially Boeings second finest :wicked:

Bexy

Lovely conversions, the landing gear attitude looks exactly right. The dynamism of your work really stands out, short landings and all!!

(On the 777 we know all about short landings!!!! :analintruder: )

My only point for your future work on Boeings is that the primed interior areas are a very bright lurid green rather than yellow-green these days.

Edited by PHaTNesS

Al beat me to it! I was just about to say that the way you've got the wheels touching down looks just like a 747 to me! You're right, a little smoke is all you'd need! But if you want a really nit-picking critical comment (and I hate to do it!) but the spoilers and reversers are fully deployed and the aircraft has only just kissed the runway. Both of these would have a input from the aircraft's air/ground logic that would include the sensors in the oleos of the main gear. When these are depressed, the aircraft 'knows' it's on the ground and only then will the reversers be allowed to deploy along with the spoilers to their fullest extent. The spoilers can, of course, be deployed in the air, but not to their fullest extent as they do on landing. But then if your modles are as good as this, you'll probably already know all of that!! They really are great models and there's not enough civil modelling on here, so they are good to see. :speak_cool:

Lovely conversions, the landing gear attitude looks exactly right. The dynamism of your work really stands out, short landings and all!!

(On the 777 we know all about short landings!!!! :analintruder: )

My only point for your future work on Boeings is that the primed interior areas are a very bright lurid green rather than yellow-green these days.

Even more, simply grey.(i.e. slats interior, maybe depending on the airline requirements).

Al beat me to it! I was just about to say that the way you've got the wheels touching down looks just like a 747 to me! You're right, a little smoke is all you'd need! But if you want a really nit-picking critical comment (and I hate to do it!) but the spoilers and reversers are fully deployed and the aircraft has only just kissed the runway. Both of these would have a input from the aircraft's air/ground logic that would include the sensors in the oleos of the main gear. When these are depressed, the aircraft 'knows' it's on the ground and only then will the reversers be allowed to deploy along with the spoilers to their fullest extent. The spoilers can, of course, be deployed in the air, but not to their fullest extent as they do on landing. But then if your modles are as good as this, you'll probably already know all of that!! They really are great models and there's not enough civil modelling on here, so they are good to see. :speak_cool:

You are right !

This was just a way of showing the way it can be done. You can stick the spoilers in a starting motion as well as the thrust reversers just opening. But the way the gears are, is the position in which the model is balanced and needs no artificial item to stand.

Just think the pressure on the oleos is effective ! Or take a picture further ahead on the runway.... But my board is not long enough !!!!

Or, admit the pressure is already on. When airborne, the tilting gear is almost vertical.

In a kind of humourous answer to your post about the Falcon : Think about how thick your pilot's soles should be so he reaches the rudder pedals !

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Cheers !

Edited by AV O

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Are spoiler and thrust reverser deployment automatically induced by undercarriage compression or do they require control input from the pilot? I ask because the fuselage of G-ARTA, the VC-10 prototype, was buckled by premature spoiler deployment, while in line service with BCal.

AV O, lovely models. I didn't even think of dropping the flaps on my Hase' 747.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Lovely work again! Don't know how I missed this thread until now!

In regard to the 'short' landing? What's the runway number at St. Maarten? Because it certainly wouldn't be 'short' there - just have a look at the famous KLM 747 on Youtube for instance.....!!! :D

:yikes:

Great models!!

Keef

Hi Mark,

Are spoiler and thrust reverser deployment automatically induced by undercarriage compression or do they require control input from the pilot? I ask because the fuselage of G-ARTA, the VC-10 prototype, was buckled by premature spoiler deployment, while in line service with BCal.

AV O, lovely models. I didn't even think of dropping the flaps on my Hase' 747.

Joseph

Hi Joseph, in answer to your question I guess it depends upon the type. On the modern airbusses, the spoilers are 'armed' and automatically deploy upon landing when the LGCIU (Landing Gear Computer) detects that the aircraft is on the ground and the FADEC detects a Reverse Thrust input from the pilot and a Thrust Lever Angle (TLA) in the Reverse Thrust position is detected by the SEC (Slat and Elevator Computer) only then will the spoilers automatically deploy.

So, I guess that they are both automatic but dependent upon Pilot actions.

Hope that helps!!

Hi Joseph, in answer to your question I guess it depends upon the type. On the modern airbusses, the spoilers are 'armed' and automatically deploy upon landing when the LGCIU (Landing Gear Computer) detects that the aircraft is on the ground and the FADEC detects a Reverse Thrust input from the pilot and a Thrust Lever Angle (TLA) in the Reverse Thrust position is detected by the SEC (Slat and Elevator Computer) only then will the spoilers automatically deploy.

Hope that helps!!

Sounds good to me, thanks, Mark.

Hope that helps!!

Ha, there's the difference between Boeing and Airbus philosophies - On the 777, the spoilers deploy in auto when Radalt reads less than 2ft, and either oleo compression or wheel spin-up is detected. They will also deploy if reverse thrust is selected without wheel spin-up (ie pilot input at ground level).

You don't need to torture the alphabet to stop a Boeing! :lol:

• 3 months later...
Ha, there's the difference between Boeing and Airbus philosophies - On the 777, the spoilers deploy in auto when Radalt reads less than 2ft, and either oleo compression or wheel spin-up is detected. They will also deploy if reverse thrust is selected without wheel spin-up (ie pilot input at ground level).

You don't need to torture the alphabet to stop a Boeing! :lol:

Smart models....no question.

If you want a bit of well meant criticism, the way to display these would be to have main gear fully on the runway but nose still off the deck.

You need to build a base for the model to go on, and either mount on that permanantly of use the dispaly stand hole to create a mount that the kit slides on to when displayed on the base.

That way you get an accurate build of an aicraft just after touchdown, with full deployment of spoilers and reverse thrust selected.

As to St maarten, yeah....it's not unkown for landing aircraft to kiss the piano keys.....and I confess to once removing the fence on maho beach after a non-stop from LHR in an MD11 - along with the heads of anybody standing by it I guess.

Just as well this happened on MS Flight sim.....

10 out of 10 for the builds :speak_cool:

Edited by kev1n

• 4 months later...
Wow, you must have more patience than Kev with his open doors !!!!

Amazing detail, well done and thanks for sharing

dont forget the cockpits and other interior thingys :)

I like this kind of extra work on models...I'm a detail geek....

• 3 years later...

Not interior thingys, but outside detail to keep the scene realistic :

Before mod :

747_400_AFProfile.jpg

After fixing the movable stab :

P1010008_4_zps9a9044c6.jpgP1010001_3_zpsfe487e2b.jpg

P1010005_7_zpsa3307339.jpgP1010004_6_zps09990518.jpg
Edited by AV O

• 1 year later...

They really are great models and there's not enough civil modelling on here, so they are good to see. speak_cool.gif

Yes, but rules are the rules, and most of the airliners fans have given up.

Edited by AV O

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

But if you want a really nit-picking critical comment (and I hate to do it!) but the spoilers and reversers are fully deployed and the aircraft has only just kissed the runway. Both of these would have a input from the aircraft's air/ground logic that would include the sensors in the oleos of the main gear. When these are depressed, the aircraft 'knows' it's on the ground and only then will the reversers be allowed to deploy along with the spoilers to their fullest extent. The spoilers can, of course, be deployed in the air, but not to their fullest extent as they do on landing. speak_cool.gif

I finally found a good lawyer (shouldn't I say solicitor ?)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal/Boeing-747-406M/0463001/L/&sid=644db43f787318bc521d57afb5bc3af2

Edited by AV O