The Sea Fury...Finally!

Tizzy

Finally i have completed the Trumpeter Hawker Sea Fury i have been struggling with for the last couple of months.If it could go wrong,it did go wrong during this build.The kit is not that bad although it does have several inaccuracies,most of which i chose to ignore.The ony things i couldnt live with were the very anaemic prop and the ridiculous drop tanks.I used an Aeroclub prop and left off the drop tanks as the actual aircraft probably flew without them quite often.The model had to be made wings folded as the fit between inner and outer wings was ghastly.The wings folded option isn't great either as you cannot fold them over enough.Decals are Xtradecal.Now it's finished i'm quite pleased with it but it's been hard work.So here it is No1 in my collection of RNAS Culdrose aeroplanes.

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11,VX639,of 739 NAS based at H.M.S Seahawk,RNAS Culdrose,Cornwall,early 1950's.

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at it .Thanks :)

Hi Tizzy

love your Sea Fury, and a good scheme- will have to look out for the decal sheet as i have a couple of PM/Airfix kits in the stash

Just a thought about the nav lights for future reference- they had a clear perspex with coloured bulb

not sure about the underwing landing lights- i couldn't find out, so left them :oops:

i put on the drop tanks though so :oops: again :lol:

likewise chose to replace the blades as they are anemic as you said

i put the wings down on my trumpy one and had a bit of a battle of it.

The aerilons are usually dropped when the wings are folded.

I hope you don't mind my raising these points- they are meant to be constructive- i don't consider myself an expert - just observations from when building my effort. The Sea Fury is a big favourite of mine- and you have a great kit for the shelf.

for what it is worth; my shelf fell on the sea fury breaking the legs are in half :( your pics have cheered me up - thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments.To answer a few of the comments.

The kit supplies transparent parts for the lights and i painted these with Tamiya clear red and green acrylic.I did realise that the glass is clear on the real thing and the bulb is coloured.I did try to replicate the look of this by painting the cut out area in the relevant bulb colour and fitting the clear plastic lamps over this,but i found the colour did not really show through the clear plastic as i would like.In a larger scale i would drill holes in the transparent lamps and fill this hole with the relevant paint,but in this scale i'm not adept enough to do this.So this was my compromise.

As to the position of the flaps i had originally fitted the outer wings in the down position and fitted the flaps accordingly.Then i had such a bad time trying to get a smooth fit between the 2 halves,i eventually gave up and fitted the wings folded hence the flaps being in the wrong position.Mind you,the position you are forced to leave the wings in is nowhere near folded enough.Any one who manages to get a good finish with the wings down has my admiration.The fit is terrible and the joints so weak.So Walrus :worthy: I am so sorry to hear all your hard work got flattened by a shelf.I am quite pleased with mine now that it's finished,although it's far from the perfect build.Just finishing it has been an achievement.

Hey Tizzy

i know what you mean about the wing join- :frantic:

one of these days am gonna get to grips with the Trumpy wing fold join :fraidnot:

Thank god the Gannet doesn't have the twofold or else i'd be fettling till the trump of doom- pun intended :lol:

fwiw here is my effort pre shelf (and carefully chosen so you can't see the drop tanks :blush: )

006bkt.jpg

I don't know where they got their measurements for the droptanks from,but whoever measured up for the PM model made a similar mistake,so maybe an example has flown with bulbous tanks like this.Nobody seems to recall seeing these large tanks fitted.They are essential if you are building a Korean war example.An aftermarket set of correct scale/shape is now available.Before this people modified droptanks from other kits.Luckily i was building an example flown regularly without droptanks.

your Fury looks nice. And yes, this model has some heavy fails. The wings are a pain to attach, and the profile of the inner and outer sections don't fit well. So, much work needed...

Alex

Nobody seems to recall seeing these large tanks fitted.They are essential if you are building a Korean war example.An aftermarket set of correct scale/shape is now available.Before this people modified droptanks from other kits.Luckily i was building an example flown regularly without droptanks.

thanks for the heads up Tizzy- do you know who has released them please

Hi Alex

The wings are a pain to attach, and the profile of the inner and outer sections don't fit well.

i thought it was my usual incompetence - after the same struggles with the 1/72 Wyvern i seriously considered folding the wings- but wasn't sure about the strength or otherwise of the wingfold parts

how to they stack up Tizzy please?

thanks for the heads up Tizzy- do you know who has released them please

Hi Alex

i thought it was my usual incompetence - after the same struggles with the 1/72 Wyvern i seriously considered folding the wings- but wasn't sure about the strength or otherwise of the wingfold parts

how to they stack up Tizzy please?

The folded wings are fiddly to fit in this scale, but do fit quite well and are quite secure once in place.I thought it would be more of a workup than it was.I think the 1/48 model will be a lot easier as the parts are that bit bigger to handle.It's just a pity they don't fold the wings over quite enough,leaving them in a more upright position than on the real thing.

I have recently seen a build of this kit in MAI by Mike Grant and he commented on the bad fit of the inner and outer wings.He also mentioned the weakness of the join here and he solved that problem by adding tabs of plasticard to strengthen the join.Obviously the stronger the join,the easier it is to carry out the heavy sanding/rescribing required.I've been told that the fit of the Wyvern wing is much better.I do hope so.