Airfix 1/72 Fouga CM-170 Magister

John

I picked one of these up at the local swapmeet this afternoon.

oct2008013.jpg

The last time I bought one of these it was brand new and had the same red "NEW" flash on the box.

The parts are in the silver plastic we all know ad love and it has a stand!

oct2008014.jpg

Markings are for the PdF, Luftwaffe and Belgian air force, the last 2 in NMF. The sheet still has its protective cover on:

oct2008015.jpg

The kit is very similar to the Heller, but it isn't the same. I think this is one of the few remaining aircraft kits never released under either Humbrol or Hornby, assuming some of the later Heller releases aren't Airfix plastic?

John

Wonderful find John. Can't remember the last time I cam across an Airfix stand. The kit looks to have a nice level of detail, something Airfix kits were good for during that era if my memory serves.

So when are you going to make a start to her?

• 4 years later...

I remember that kit a little classic always wanted to build the Belgian Air Force one serial MT-35 the only one they painted in two tone green/tan over grey scheme,dont suppose anyone could help with the paint demarcation for this machine.

Kind Regards

Craig

Coincidentally, I picked up two books in the last week on the Fouga Magister, one is Joe Mexwell's excellent tome on the aircraft in Irish service, the other from the Belgian perspective.

Been a while since that one was reissued, I reckon a silver IAC and camo Belgian one would be nice!

Source: http://belmilac.wetpaint.com/page/Part+2%3A+MT26+-+MT50

MT35 C/n 292

- 151160: Taken on Charge
- 000000: to 'Ecole de Pilotage Avancé/Voortgezette Vliegopleidingsschool (EPA/VVS)' (Advanced Flying School) at Brustem airbase

- 000000-000077: used by 'Red Devils'- demoteam

- 000000: used by 3 Wing-Baseflight, Bierset AB

- 020684: first noted in camouflage colors at Bierset AB
- 100806: repainted in original C/S of aluminum with dayglo bands

- 010606: first noted with special markings "The last whistling turtle/The last of the many"

- 270907: last operational Fouga-flight within the Belgian Air Force. The aircraft was flown by Lt.Col.avi.Paul Rorive, accompagnied by his crewchief 1Sgt.William Peeters

- 000808: will remain at BeauvechainAB (stored)

Picture: http://image.wetpaint.com/wiki/belmilac/image/1Ye0oJDdVMzodYiZkkMgT3g==131695/GW500H340

Source: Kit n°86 IPMS Belgium - Summer 1992

scan0050an.jpg

scan0051d.jpg

Source: "Whistling Turtles in Belgian Skies" by Serge Van Hertum and Marc Arys

cover.jpg

FougaMagisterCCI13022013_0002_zpsc68892c

By the way, we are still waiting a modern 1/48th injected kit of this bird...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Built one in 1980 as an Israeli aircraft, it is a nice little kit and from what I remember went together quite well and is definitely worth building. Mine got lost somewhere in moves marriage, kids etc.

Nice kit, and a lovely aeroplane. If I ever won the Euromillions a Magister would be my personal jet, ahead of any other military jet trainer type. It really is an excellent machine. I must look out for the Airfix kit as I tour the model shows this year, as before you started this thread I had rather forgotten it existed.