Kenworth 963 Super 1/24 scale

Hello model builders, 

After a few weeks of rain and clouds slowed down painting and progress, I was able to finish this project, and as today was sunny, well,  the truck and I went for some pictures.

If you're interested in seeing the process, please see the following:

And on we go:

53592628095_efd91ba70a_b.jpg

As you can see, not a subtle truck - this is model of a Kenworth 963 Super.

53592497214_4f5c42ae93_h.jpg

These are all wheel drive, heavy construction/oil field rigs - the tires/tyres are 6'/2m tall!  

53592497209_f5fa5ca2e0_h.jpg

53592179911_c630b09a1c_h.jpg

This project involved a fair amount of scratch building.  The front axle is from KFS but the suspension is scratch built - as is the hood/bonnet, chassis and bed.

53591307947_adf86c49cf_h.jpg

53592385588_63c114c789_b.jpg

A guy went ahead and made the butterfly operable, using small piano hinges.

And a couple of indoor pics - no distractions or bright paint:

53592497184_21d1b3b55a_h.jpg

I really like how the bed and winch worked out - those of you who build model race cars might recognize the the cable - the same Top Studio we use for the hoses on 1/20 F1 cars - worked perfect for this!

53592385543_c30e6fdaa1_h.jpg

The tires/tyres are supposed to be used for a 1/16 scale model MATV - they are resin and quite heavy!

53591307897_22284450bc_h.jpg

And for fun, I cutout some images and set them in the appropriate landscape:

53592179856_02cc998e20_k.jpg

53591307877_fd8c03352f_b.jpg

53592497144_ba71702b55_k.jpg

53591307882_770d72e027_k.jpg

53591307892_b2b9949335_k.jpg

And there you have it.  I'm a bit disappointed this project is done, I really enjoyed it - ok, thanks for having a look.

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
grammar
  • Like 26

That is truly magnificent! :worthy:

I followed the build, yet some of these photos had me wondering if you had added some 1:1 shots. Dang!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stickframe said:

As you can see, not a subtle truck

You can say that again. I'm sure I read that Chuck Norris used his to go out for Pizza :laugh:

Another fabulous scratchbuiding result, Nick. The pictures look great.

• Haha 1

• Stickframe changed the title to Kenworth 963 Super 1/24 scale

@dnl42, thanks very much.  Considering how big (long and heavy) and awkward to hold this is, I really enjoyed building it.  It's too bad that it's done!  I would have liked to keep going, as opposed to at least one other project I have which has been patiently waiting for me to finish for quite a long time 😄

@Pete in Lincs isn't he the guy who uses Tabasco Sauce for eye drops?...and still doesn't cry???  😄  But let me ask you, could he install numerous  .7mm rivet heads in a straight line?  He doesn't need to!  he'd kick the model straight off the bench and go for pizza in his big truck!

@triumphfan, hi Steve, thanks very much, I appreciate it.  Not much of this project comes from a kit, so your comments mean plenty - just getting the chassis and suspension worked out to sit level on all six tires was a challenge!

Cheers, and thanks for having a look - 

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dude. Wow. I love everything about it, Nick! This will be my favourite build on here for quite some time I think 🙂 

• Thanks 1

@JeroenS, Hi Jeroen, thanks very much!  I'm glad you like this project -  Our early conversation is what led to it 😀  

@raider of the lost part, thanks, Raider, I appreciate it

@Ryedale Wolf, thanks,  I agree, this is indeed a different build - and a fun challenge. 

@AV O, well AV O, yes, I am sure, these tires are quite tall:

53596413252_9bef4a3abd_k.jpg

53597290356_303d55e326_h.jpg

I did use some exaggeration and rounding - the tires are indeed 1.86m in diameter (6.11'). The resin tires used in the model are just under 3" in diameter. 

I realize these are not the tallest tires in use, take a look at the tires used on mining haul trucks, or those used on this trailer:

53597639039_439e5add23_k.jpg

Cheers and happy model building, 

Nick

• Like 4

Wow!  And wow again! 

That is superb ..... and the first image looks real!  👌 

Absolutely fantastic work and a build that's been fascinating to follow. 

Keith 😁 

Edited by Keeff
  • Thanks 1

Nick,

Beautiful model, you did an excellent scratch build, love all those details, it worked out very well !  Thumps up for this one !

Regards

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

What a fantastic beast, really brilliant model again Nick, loved watching it come together in the build thread and now love looking at the finished result - top work once again!

On 17/03/2024 at 02:45, Stickframe said:

I'm a bit disappointed this project is done, I really enjoyed it

So, you'd best hurry up & find another monster to build next - something a little bigger maybe....??!! :) 🤣 

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Top work as ever, I actually think I could use one of those tyres laid on its side as a display base for my current build!   Trucks aren't really my type of thing,  however I never fail to take inspiration from your work so thank you for taking the time to share - Andy

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:25 PM, Stickframe said:

trucks, or those used on this trailer:

I saw the picture and thought you'd sneaked another build in here! 

Do you think you might finish it and get it mailed to me by Christmas?

• Haha 2

@AV O, well AV O, I am still confused  - the note above "6'/2m" is intended to indicate that thee tires are 6 feet/2meters tall.    I include both units of measure because I don't know who might read this, and what unit of measure they are familiar with.  I did round up from 1.86 m to 2m, but I can live with that.  

Anyway, thanks for reading it, and dropping by - on we go and happy model building - 

Cheers

Nick 

HI @AV O, thanks, but no apologies needed.  I understand - and again, appreciate you taking a look to begin with 😃  I probably should have spelled out the two units of measure to begin with - like tire and tyres, hoods and bonnets, or grey and gray 😄

Cheers,

Nick