Xtradecal X48430 Sea Hurricane IIC errata notes

Troy Smith

With announcement of the Arma Hobby Sea Hurricane IIC kit I'm sure there will be interest  in alternate schemes

Xtradecal anticipated this and have issued this sheet

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48240

This looks to be the best of the 4 Hurricane sheets they issued in 2023, but lack some rather crucial details in the painting guide.

lack correct details, in that 

NF728, 'K1.F' of 760 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, based aboard HMS Ravager, October 4, 1944

and

NF721 'YO.F' of 787Z Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, based at RNAS St. Merryn, UK, November, 1943.

both are fitted with rocket plates, and NF728 has no cannon fitted (the plates block the ejector slots)

I shall have to put up a thread on this, I did tell Hannants this, with supporting photos about several of their sheets, but  apparently it was "my opinion"

X48240_2.jpg?t=1683922218

X48240_3.jpg?t=1683922218

X48240_4.jpg?t=1683922218

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235118780-sea-hurricane-iic-787-sq-listed-as-nf721-witteringtangmere-object-under-wing/

NF721

Fleet-Air-Arm-Sea-Hurricane-Y6F-foregrou

Rocket plates and rails fitted,  no cannon.

Spinner maybe Dark Slate Grey, too dark for Sky.  Tonal match for the markings Red? 

@iang ?

53336959188_bc81cf80ef_b.jpgSea Hurricanes HMS Ravager NF722 NF 728 compilation by losethekibble, on Flickr

NF728  note black spinner and completely removed cannon, not even the stubs in place, also rocket plates but no rails.

760 was being used to train Firefly pilots to fire rockets, so they would have carried rails at some point.

The photos above are when they were deck training. 

Comedy moment, the bottom left image is in the Valiant Wings Airframe and Miniature 16 as an unknown Sea Hurricane IB RP along with a little isometric showing this, an example of total fantasy found in said book. :fraidnot:

Caveat emptor.

regarding the code colour option of Yellow and Sky, the codes should be Yellow as 760 was a training squadron, and this was standard for FAA training units.  The code letters are a good tonal match for the roundel yellow.

@JackG

X48240_1.jpg?t=1683922218

The decals also have no mention of added aerials, note one behind radiator,  and in starboard wing, one of which I presume is IFF3 ?

@Bigos @GrzeM @Wojtek Bulhak

@Grey Beema  @85sqn  @StevSmar  

Edited by Troy Smith
additions
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

8But could there have been a period with the markings as shown and the cannon, before the plates were fitted?

I'm not so convinced the spinner couldn't be Sky. The greys are all over the place in that photo - the area of fuselage behind the spinner is very light, as is the rudder. If you look at the photo of the on top of each other and at their starboard wings, if both are sky, one looks significantly darker than the other.

Hi Troy,

your comments are much appreciated as always. But I'm really wondering why you are still tying to help the guys at Xtradecals considering they don't give a hoot about it? I mean, you've described your efforts in a few other threads about their other Hurricane sheets but it seems they constantly ignore you (I can already imagine them rolling their eyes when they see one of your mails, thinking: "Oh no, that guy again...").

To be honest, if someone would constantly show me such a disrespectful behaviour while trying to help them improve their product for free, I would spend these hours elsewhere. Not to mention that it must be a frustrating and annoying experience being ignored again and again.

Of course, we all would still appreciate your comments here on their decals :thumbsup:

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hey Troy,

I can't add anymore I'm afraid but I too have taken issue with their decal sheets for various reasons. I had a look through the 787 Sqn diary but couldn't see any relevant info unfortunately.

Best regards

Nick

Hello everyone.

I’ve found some time to rummage through my stash of decals.

I’ve got to thank @Troy Smithfor starting this thread. Up until the announcement of Armour Hurricane IIc I hadn’t given this subject much thought, but, I appreciate the discussion.

Whilst I’m always sceptical of Xtradecal some other decal companies are more dubious. Here’s some other decals from time gone by:

SuperScale 48-560 , they have 7 o N as overall white.

spacer.png

When this set of decals came along this ‘seemed’ to answer my needs. But the last A/C seems as flawed as any other offering. I would love to model this A/C because it suggests “Nicki” on the port side and a double line of Dark Sea Grey. Whilst I’ll have to pay attention if I’m going to choose something off my Xtradecal sheets, as for the my older sheets these may just become side lined.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.  😉