Savoia-Marchetti S.55 Torpedo Bomber - Regia Aeronautica Italiana

With the Fokker in its later phase, it's time to look at a second build for this GB. After getting clearance from the group admin, I've opted for doing another float plane (as I have a few), a Savoia-Matchetti S.55 torpedo bomber of the RAI in 1/72 using the Dora Wings kit. 

In my view, this aircraft fitted nicely into the 'twins' GB nicely, it had twin hulls, twin booms and twin engines, the only question was whether it fitted into the 1935-1945 window but after looking at reference, it looks like these aircraft were in their endgame from 1935 and consigned to reserve by 1939.

The stuff...

20240221-195934.avif

The box

20240222-161100.jpg

Lots of plastic

20240222-161238.jpg

Glazing, decals, PE and resin engines.

20240222-161439.jpg

Glossy instruction booklet

Never built anything from this manufacturer before so it will be interesting to see how this goes. I do have a civilian version of this also in the stash , so this'll be a pathfinder. I'll start this as soon as the Fokker is all but done, so shouldn't be too long.

Stuart

• Like 16

This is a fantastic choice Stuart, such a great looking aircraft and with just about twin everything!

I haven't built anything by Dora either and would like one of these so I'm very keen to see how you get on with it, especially after seeing how well you are doing on your Fokker.

• Like 1

I'm also interested to see what you make of this, having not been up close with anything from the brand either

James

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one. I have the same kit in the stash and I'd been eyeballing it for this GB in the event that I get my Q1W1 done. Guess I wasn't the only one, and now I have to go a little further down the esoteric rabbit hole...

• Like 2

• vppelt68 changed the title to Savoia-Marchetti S.55 Torpedo Bomber - Regia Aeronautica Italiana
4 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

Looking forward to this one. I have the same kit in the stash and I'd been eyeballing it for this GB in the event that I get my Q1W1 done. Guess I wasn't the only one, and now I have to go a little further down the esoteric rabbit hole...

You are allowed to build the same model/kit that someone else is, if you want to ;) 

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

You are allowed to build the same model/kit that someone else is, if you want to ;) 

James

Well, of course, but an aircraft as obscure as this deserves its own stage. Besides, my stash is almost entirely populated with the uncommon, so I just have to dig a little deeper.

• Like 4

Seems to be a lot of interest in this old bird. For those that are interested, this video might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWV0nJQf9eY&ab_channel=Rex'sHangar With the Fokker waiting for its base, thought I'd start with the S.55

20240229-150444.avif

I decided to start with the hulls. Nothing much to the exterior but the interior is nicely detailed with ribbing, framing and the starboard hull will have an anchor windlass fitted but not before priming and an interior colour added. The instructions call for it to be grey but some references say a light wood colour, we'll see.

I would've liked to have this in a flying attitude but I'd be needing up to six crew; two in the cockpit, one in each of the tail guns, one navigator/torpedo aimer and one front gunner/in-flight engineer.

Stuart

• Like 7

Been busy, busy, busy on 1:1 stuff.

20240305-230701.jpg

Decided to tackle the Isotta Fraschini engines. These were resin parts and were fitted with plastic carburettors and exhaust ports. Unfortunately, one twin port went walkabout so a scratch option was made. Some cleaning up is still required. Also built up the radiator and a tank.

Stuart

• Like 10

Fiddly work...

20240310-222847.jpg

Here was one fiddly job that needed an extra pair of hands, the engine mounting. I am finding that the easiest way o building these types of structures is to use the kit part that will be used to attach it to. After building the top engine mounts, I attached the main struts and while the glue was curing, I placed it at its mounting points and secured with tape until dry. Then I attached the central V struts and finally the PE rails, all a bit time consuming.

20240310-235422.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the cockpit. Firstly, the location for the torpedo mounting points needed drilling out. The seats were plastic & PE and are dry fitted. Control column with its wheels was also dry fitted. Then came the most fiddly job, throttle quadrant(?) with its 6 PE levers. The levers were meant to be attached to a plastic that was about 1.5mm across, optivisor work but it would be very fragile. So I opted for a different way of building this part, I produced a number of plastic discs from plastic rod and sandwiched these discs between the levers, much easier and then fitted it into place. What I'd like to know is, did the aircrew have belts or something 'cos there are non in kit??

Stuart

• Like 9

Evidently, belts are for wimps! That's very nice looking (if very fiddly) work, Stuart. A good idea to use the wing as a jig for the engine mount

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I procrastinate on the interior colour, grey or wood...

20240314-092228.jpg

I thought I'd start on the tail section. The forward horizontal had fixing tabs on its rear edge for fixing the elevators to. Two of these tabs were missing/broken and also being weak points, were replaced with metal 'pins' that fixed into both edges. The two start vertical fins were fitted after a little cleaning up. Unfortunately, the rudder fixings are the same but thinner and again, look weak points, so I'm not sure how I'm going to resolve this...where there's will, there's a way.

Stuart

• Like 9

That looks to have gone together well so far, Stuart. Those rudder fixings are definitely going to be challenging, those fins are very thin. 

James

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 81-er said:

Those rudder fixings are definitely going to be challenging, those fins are very thin. 

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Scale thickness can be a mixed blessing!

The tail and rudder are thin, so thin that I daren't risk it with metal wire. On top of that, the rudder have decals on them and the look over size, so it'll be best to fit decal rudders, cut to size and then fix them...

20240315-121216.avif

Needed to stop the thinking on interior colour. Decided to go off piste away from the suggested grey and went with a woody colour and gave it dark wash. I decided to go this route due to the cockpit. With aluminium items in the cockpit with a grey interior, it would look a bit monotone, so with a wood interior the details will be more noticeable. Next step is to paint and fit the anchor, its windlass before closing the hulls.

Stuart

• Like 10