HMCS Snowberry 1/144 (Revell)

Your detail this far is putting the one I built to shame. Definitely going to follow along. Looking really good so far.

Edited by CDNavy
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Do you have a thin pointy sharp modeling knife blade? What I sometimes do for something like that is to bevel the inside top edge of the drilled tube by 'peeling' the blade around the inside top edge. IThe resulting thin top edge gives the appearance of the whole side being thin (particularly if the inside is painted black) but there's still enough meat left on lower down for strength and rigidity.

Jeff,

i do, indeed, have such blades. I’m old school and still call them X-acto blades, regardless of their make. I got nervous using progressively larger pin-vice bits. I’ll use your method for sure. Thanks for the tip!

This Jeff 🙂

Edited by Jeff.M
Typo
  • Like 1

So.  I kind of promised myself I would not get too far behind in posting progress on this build.  So little and often, as much as I can.  Being retired is a full time job . . .

I worked on the forward part of the open bridge with its unique wind baffling.  All Pontos etched brass.  The assembly called for major surgery to make it fit.  I don't think I screwed up, but the Pontos parts did not fit those of Revell.  That said, I made it work  I am strictly using CA for the PE, both medium and super thin.  I would love to be able to solder some of the work, but that is a skill that I have yet to acquire, and it seems a bit redundant, as I make the CA work in every application.  Miles away from my good old PVA for wooden modeling with it's forgiving nature ( and easy cleanup).  Any way, just one pic:

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1623&authke

Best,

Jeff

• Like 10

I've just had a bit of a dash through this, felt hard put to keep up with your progress, but have been quite in awe of what you're doing with this. I'm a great fan of the Flowers, this one is shaping to be a most impressive bloom. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Just caught up with this build and what a joy it is to see all these nice details and some great reference material for when I get around to one of my builds of these great little workhorse of the Atlantic campaign.   :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

A little more progress.  I've painted and weathered the stack.  She's looking a bit more like a proper Flower in silhouette. 

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1593&authke

Added some deck fittings to the deck above the engine room.  Level? In USN parlance it would be the 01 level as it does not extend from stem to stern as a deck does. 

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1590&authke

And the wooden decking  on the foc's'le. 

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1586&authke

Best,

Jeff

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Jeff.M said:

Level? In USN parlance it would be the 01 level as it does not extend from stem to stern as a deck does. 

Gidday Jeff, I would have thought it was 1 deck, being the upper deck of the hull, despite not going the full length.

She's looking a bit more like a proper Flower in silhouette. 

She certainly is, and that weathering you've done makes her look like a real work-horse. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jeff, I would have thought it was 1 deck, being the upper deck of the hull, despite not going the full length.

On second thought, I think you’re right. Decks lie between the ship’s frames, as that deck certainly does. Levels are above the hull. 

Best,

Jeff

Was busy last night--but, as I said, I'm fully retired now, so hobbies take precedence!

Added some funnels, railings, and depth charge launcher davits.  The dry fitted funnel platform will be fitted flush to the deck, and flaws that show so glaringly under magnification (glue over spill) will be corrected.  What looks good to the naked eye proves otherwise when magnified  Funnel stays will be fitted much later, as they will just get in the way at this stage.  Not sure I can keep up this pace of posting, but I shall try.  Maybe I will get a little farther along and not document every step of the way.

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1569&authke

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1566&authke

embed?resid=62EC384D9A41BB1D!1570&authke

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Jeff.M
Omitted one picture
  • Like 8

This is looking really good Jeff, the weathering is spot on and that together with your riveting plus the level of detail in your "gribbly bits" is making it look more like a fully loaded 1/72 model imho !

Cheers

David 

• Thanks 1

Just caught up with your progress.

One word.................OUTSTANDING :worthy:

I built one of these a while ago, but not to your standard, you are tempting me to do another one.

I might have missed the explanation , but how did you do the rivets ? they are amazing.

Jon

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faraway said:

I might have missed the explanation , but how did you do the rivets ?

Jon

Jon ,

Thanks. It depends upon where you are looking. The rivets on the stack and its platform are PE overlays that completely cover the Revell plastic. Elsewhere, the rivets are a kind of 3D decal. I got them from a company whose owner closed shop to follow his other passion—sheltering rescued cats (seriously). They are still available from Micromark. I think their primarily application is in train modeling. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. 

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Jeff.M
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, theskits62 said:

I'm hoping to achieve something similar on my round table class.

I had a chance to check out your build. Wonderful work and  an interesting and unusual class to choose to model. I’ll be following it. 

Best,

Jeff

Just had another look thru your build thus far, great stuff 👍.. and very inspirational to myself who's only just started again on ships, not having built one since I was a kid ! 

The Revell Flower class is one I'll no doubt be tackling in future, love the rivet job but out of interest I wonder if some Flower corvettes were welded hull rather than riveted ? Guess it depends on which yard built them. 

I'd also be interested to maybe build one in post war guise, as one of those that were sold on from service and used as a merchant ship of some kind. 

Anyway Jeff, I shall be following your build with great interest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2024 at 17:05, Jeff.M said:

Decks lie between the ship’s frames, as that deck certainly does. Levels are above the hull. 

I think that's a colonial thing, every ship I've sailed on has had decks, right up to the Bridge Deck at the top.

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I think that's a colonial thing, every ship I've sailed on has had decks, right up to the Bridge Deck at the top.

Interesting. Red or White Ensign?  Curious to know if is a difference between the USN and the other four Five Eyes navies or if it’s a case of military versus merchant terminology. 

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Quite a few, Red, Blue, Bahamian, Dutch, German, Liberian, South African, Danish but not Grey Funnel Line.

Well. I guess you answered my question, however passive-agressively. You seem to have taken offense when I meant none. I assumed you had sailed under a British flag—not unreasonable IVO  of the name of this site.  But I apologize.  I wasn’t thinking of the appalling shrinkage of both of our respective merchant navies.

I was genuinely interested in the differences in terminology. In the United States Navy, there are no decks above the main deck (First Deck). They are termed levels and are numbered 01 on up. I have no idea what pertains on Commonwealth vessels. I have steamed in company with them in every ocean, including the Arctic,  but never cross-decked. 

I’ll make another assumption that Grey Funnel Line refers to naval vessels. That is a term with which this “colonial” is unfamiliar. Had it been delivered with less sarcasm, it would have given me a chuckle. 

I detest Internet forum spats and drama, and I have gone on far too long. This seemed a friendlier place. I’ll post elsewhere. 

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Jeff.M said:

Well. I guess you answered my question, however passive-agressively. You seem to have taken offense when I meant none. I assumed you had sailed under a British flag—not unreasonable IVO  of the name of this site.  But I apologize.  I wasn’t thinking of the appalling shrinkage of both of our respective merchant navies.

I was genuinely interested in the differences in terminology. In the United States Navy, there are no decks above the main deck (First Deck). They are termed levels and are numbered 01 on up. I have no idea what pertains on Commonwealth vessels. I have steamed in company with them in every ocean, including the Arctic,  but never cross-decked. 

I’ll make another assumption that Grey Funnel Line refers to naval vessels. That is a term with which this “colonial” is unfamiliar. Had it been delivered with less sarcasm, it would have given me a chuckle. 

I detest Internet forum spats and drama, and I have gone on far too long. This seemed a friendlier place. I’ll post elsewhere. 

Thanks. 

Absolutely no offence taken at all, and I'm sorry my posts have been taken to be passive agressive/sarcastic, they were meant to be factual with a touch of humour, which has obviously fallen flat here.

I'm also interested in terminology and was merely trying to point out that my experience of merchant ships from a rather parochial British to an ever more global point of view differed from yours, niether is incorrect.

Whether the Canadian Navy followed your convention, being on military and on your side of the Atlantic, or mine with it being an ex British merchant design, or something different again, I don't know, but contemproary drawings would no doubt show this.

Whatever you like to call them, please continue posting progress with your model, it is rather splendid.

• Like 1

Gidday @Jeff.M, AFAIK it is 01 deck, 02 deck etc above the hull also.

You're adding very nice detail to this, such as the hatches to the engine-room skylight. Looking forward to your next update. Regards, Jeff (the other Jeff 🙂)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:I'm sorry my posts have been taken to be passive agressive/sarcastic, they were meant to be factual with a touch of humour, which has obviously fallen flat here.

Fair enough Dave. I overreacted. Truly I should know better—I lived and worked in the West End of London for three years and have been married to a Brit for over 30. British humor can, at times, come across as sardonic and even dismissive. But it is rarely mean spirited. I sincerely apologize for being a bit of a prig and taking your posts in the wrong way. I’m really not as petulant as I came across. I hope we can start over, and I will continue to post. 

Best,

Jeff

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jeff.M said:

British humor can, at times, come across as sardonic and even dismissive. But it is rarely mean spirited.

You are right.

I used to work for a Swedish company, but run by French management. Both of those were doomed from the start, they just didn't understand us.

Jon

• Haha 4

I hope we can start over, and I will continue to post. 

I'm glad to hear that, I'd hate to have unintentionally put you off Britmodeller!

For my part I'll try to make my (sometimes feeble attempts at) humour more obvious  🙂

• Like 3