Azur Fleet 16 Finch, now with added Northrop Nomad. Nomad now finished.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Awesome work Chris,

This is coming along beautifully and will be another stunner.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  pleased I got the wing stripes sorted as the spacing is set by the serial numbers under the wings.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Both looking splendid in yellow!  Lovely framing too.

I must say I'm a bit confused for several reasons. The Northrop Nomad looks almost exactly like the Vought Chesapeake; and the Northrop Nomad name is also used for a float plane.

Add to this my unease about biplanes with enclosed canopies* and I'm all at sea!

Regards,

Adrian

* It's just wrong! (though obviously not for the Gladiator or Albacore - they're OK)

Thanks Adrian, the framing took quite a while and does have a pleasing look.

Yes it looks very similar to the Chesapeak and the floatplane looks lovely. 

I wanted tohave a go at the Fleet due to the scheme and the large canopy, but I know what you mean about the look.

I have the Sea Gladiator next in line on my FAA thread and an Applecore is very close too, both lovely looking aircraft.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Nomad is looking superb, Chris, and with the black stripes going on as well - la spécialité de la maison ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, pleased with how it is looking,  might get some more done later.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Chris

excellent finish on the Nomad!

I recently built the Azur Finch and had a battle royal with colour, however what I found was the kit struts didn’t fit, even with increasing the lower wing dihedral they just would not touch the underneath of the top wing. In the end I just scratch built new struts. You may or may not have a problem.. 

Regards 

Simon 

ehkiVLr.jpg

Csm8tat.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slywolff said:

Hi Chris

excellent finish on the Nomad!

I recently built the Azur Finch and had a battle royal with colour, however what I found was the kit struts didn’t fit, even with increasing the lower wing dihedral they just would not touch the underneath of the top wing. In the end I just scratch built new struts. You may or may not have a problem.. 

Regards 

Simon 

Thanks Simon, very kind.  Thank you for the heads up re the struts , I was wondering about that in the back of my mind, will see how it goes, I have not touched the Finch for a while, but now I am just about to finish my Beaufighter, I may be able get some more done.

Thank you

Chris

• Like 3

Great work on painting on the Nomad !!

Still, I stay in awe about the brush painting... in awe and Errrmm envious....

Even if I rectify my glitches with brushes instead of the airbrush....

:mike::mike:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great work on painting on the Nomad !!

Still, I stay in awe about the brush painting... in awe and Errrmm envious....

Even if I rectify my glitches with brushes instead of the airbrush....

:mike::mike:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanjs CC, very kind fella, you will find brush painting addictive,  it is very therapeutic.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

What they all said, great work Chris, not an easy colour to lay I believe.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, yes can be fun painting yellow, this lot was 6 coats,  worth ghe effort though .

Chris

• Like 2

Chris,

That's looking lovely - a most striking scheme beautifully executed,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That's looking lovely - a most striking scheme beautifully executed,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes it certainly is striking the fuselage stripes were slightly more challenging but not too bad to do.

5 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Chris I got about 20 pix of a Fleet Finch at the Warplane Heritage Museum today. This one was on the floor and I got close ups. If you are interested, I can post them.

Thanks David, wow must have been a sight, I did note the one on your Amazing Ventura thread.  If it is no trouble,  then yes please to seeing some images please.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Stupendous work Chris,

It's going to be gorgeous.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind, pleased as now this one should move quite quickly.

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Not sure how useful these Finch pix are. 

They are very useful indeed, thank you David, they are fantastic,  some cracking detail that I hadn't seen before too.

Thank you very much you're a star.

Chris

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking nice and zebra like. Nice straight lines too.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,  pleased with the paint, did the initial coat with masking tape andcthe painted upto the lines when colouring them in .  Saves there being too much of a ridge. All gloss coated now too.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

A bit more progress on the Nomad.

Decals on, they are very thin and some cracked and folded, oddly the simplist decals were the large underwing serials and the Fuselage roundels. I lost the six in the fuselage serial number so gonna have to paint that possibly as there is not another one in the other options the right size

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got to paint the yellow portions of the serial to match, but it confirmed the stripes are in the right locations,  phew.

spacer.png

The lovely kit 4 piece prop, painted with tge AK True Metals pastes.  I love these, you polish them up after painting, got a few colours now, Recommended to all.

spacer.png

The crazy exhaust, with I presume a heat exchanger? Reminds me of a old Fizzy (Yamaga FS1E) micron exhaust, just need some Ace bars, mag wheels and going back to the mid 80s and my teens 😉.

Needs more steel paste it has rubbed off with the handling whits paintingvthe front section with Humbrol 98 and a dry brush with some AK copper paste

spacer.png

Getting there now. 

Chris

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

The crazy exhaust heat exchanger helped us crazy Canucks not freeze to death in the Great White North. The Harvard had a similar one.

Thamks Robin.  Thought it had to be a heat exchanger type of thing, hope it worked okay.  My hear exchangers in my old classic VW Type 3are really toastie warm.

11 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Gorgeous paInt and decal work! Nicely lined up on the bottom!

Thanks David, pleased with those underwing serials, the rest were a bit of a pain and have to do some repairs to do, we have been spoilt by Special Hobbys recent decals which are superb.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Fantastic paint and decals. Looks great Chris!

Good luck with the 6.

Cheers,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,  I will need good luck to paint the 6. 

Chris

• Like 2