F167 - Westland Wallace - conversion to Wapiti ***Finished***

AdrianMF

That's looking very nice Adrian, the home made decals really add to it. Printing the wrong side of the paper is my party trick with labels. Our windows replaced at the end of first lockdown (they were supposed to be coming the week it started), and we were amazed at how little mess they made. They put covers down everywhere they worked and cleaned up afterwards. Even the price was reasonable, there was a £12,000 variation in quotes, which is interesting as there are apparently only two or three companies in the UK that actually make the stock that are then supplied to the window manufacturers. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice, Adrian (both the Wapiti and the windows). I've not done any decorating in my flat yet, as we're supposedly getting new windows (I own the flat, but the council own the block). Although that was coming when I viewed the flat in June 2022 and I've been living here for 14 months with no sign of them so far. I think I'm going to give in and get painting, which will probably mean they'll be fitted a fortnight after I finish

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr T said:

windows replaced

The guys we had were really excellent. They came on a strong recommendation so I didn't shop around on price. I did a bit of online price checking and I know I could have spent a lot more 😱🫣. If anyone in London wants a recommendation for replacement Victorian windows, I've got one!

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

one of my favourite builds of the GB! 

As our leader in loco parentis, you have to finish that sentence with "along with every single other one".

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

fantastic

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking very good

I am amazed at how much detail there is to be mined once you step into the rabbit hole and start staring at detailed pictures. See below...

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

they'll be fitted a fortnight after I finish

The real life version of "someone just released a new kit after I finished lipsticking this pig" 🙄. Given the state of council finances around the country, sadly I think you're probably good to get the paint out.

I have been staring at too many detailed pictures of this aeroplane. I think I've done loads of work but only crossed off two things from my list:

IMG-8029.jpg

Most of the extra work has been trying to understand and replicate the routing of the control cables, and refining the paintwork and details. I think I might start on the struttery next to give myself a gee-up before tackling the rigging and lights.

As @PeterB pointed out, the strut attachment is really solid and positive, so fingers crossed...

(forgot to post...)

Well, the Biplane Gods are smiling:
IMG-8031.jpg

The whole thing felt so sturdy that I proceeded with the Mk 1 built-in organic adjustable jig (the left one is shown in the picture). I will go for a cuppa and let that set before popping in the rest.

• Like 17

Gosh, I impressed by the 'to do' list. I just make it up as I go along. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got the rest of the struts done:

IMG-8032.jpg

The outer struts were a perfect fit, the cabane ones gave me a little trouble but they're all in now. They are a few degrees more slanted than the interplane struts, but I've decided to live with that rather than trying to re-drill the strut positions on the decking (wing cabane holes are in line with the interplane holes).  Frankly, it's rare for me to not replace any struts in a kit, so this one is a good 'un!

Now for a wash of Future on the fuselage to try and keep all my newly-added control cable brackets in position. Then it will be rigging o'clock!

• Like 21

Hi Adrian.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to be that harsh, should have said 8 square inches, lol. Hope it all gets sorted out OK and you can get back to normal.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Well, in my continuing quest to prolong this project as long as possible without making any progress on The List, tonight's escapade involved moving the cabane strut holes back by about 2mm and filling the old ones:

IMG-8036.jpg

I decided that I couldn't get on with the excessive slope of the cabane struts. The front ones are bang on (with a bit of bending) and the rear ones are only a teeny bit out: 

IMG-8037.jpg

The "proper" solution would be to relocate the mounting holes on the fuselage, but that was too much disruption for me! Still hoping to get the rigging done before 2025...

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Love the wheel rim solution. Decals look great and struts look solid. Great paint on there, too. Looks fabulous. Amazing work on a Frog kit. I picked up a used and badly water damaged boxing of an Airspeed Oxford on Sunday. Your work inspires me to think it might become something decent (haven't peaked inside yet!). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Airspeed Oxford

It's a nice kit, albeit with a few shape issues. If you want a proper shape canopy for it I think I have a spare vacform or two, but be warned you would have to modify the kit to make it fit.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, in my continuing quest to prolong this project as long as possible without making any progress on The List, tonight's escapade involved moving the cabane strut holes back by about 2mm and filling the old ones

Sometimes when you get an itch you just have to scratch it! 
Nicely sorted.  Really enjoying this build Adrian, so much good stuff in it!

• Thanks 1

Looking great Adrian, love those tones together 😎

Gavin.

• Thanks 1

Basic bracing done:

IMG-8042.jpg

Still got undercarriage, tail and anti-drag bracing, and then control lines to go. Top wing is just placed on for now, still need to sort out the gunsight, some pipes and a windshield under the top wing. Probably a good time to fit the fuselage gun and a strange tripod (camera gun??) just next to it.

There's still a lot to cross off from The List but It's starting to feel like the last lap is not far away...

• Like 17

40 minutes ago, 81-er said:

what've you used for it?

EZLine, black, fine. Dots of CA at endpoints, thread dipped in accelerator, tweezers, optivisor, surprisingly little swearing...

Now. About this thread. It's a bit... boring.

Let's add some flames and molten plastic, for a start:

IMG-8043.jpg

That's better. What's going on? The Wapiti didn't have a "normal" three segment windshield. It had an arched tunnel section in the middle pane that ended in a vertical pane. So this making the arched section with the bluff front end, using some scraps and my daughter's ever-useful cooking blowtorch:

IMG-8045.jpg

A bit of trial and error (third attempt) to get the windshield shape:

IMG-8046.jpg

You wouldn't believe I've spent half an hour searching for the windshield after putting masking tape on it to make it more visible. Oh. This is Britmodeller. You would!

And now I've cut a diagonal slice off my arched tunnel and I'll attach it to the windshield with (less than) a drop of Future:

IMG-8049.jpg

I have no idea of the purpose or reasoning behind the windshield design, other than to make modellers uncomfortable nearly a century later...

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Nicely done on the windshield. I was cleaning some grocery plastics for recycling today and had a flash of PTSD from my Ventura canopy 😛 . Looks like your approach worked well.

I should get some superglue accelerator for aerial lines and rigging. Not happy with my resin. How do you apply CA in tiny amounts? If I dip a pin or toothpick in it, the blob travels up the side of the pin/toothpick.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, marvinneko said:

How do you apply CA

I use a blob of thick CA (Vitalbond FWIW) on a kitchen tile and I clean the cocktail stick tip about ever 3-4 applications to keep it sharp. I start a new blob when it starts to get too thick. The rigging above took four blobs.

I measure the rigging gap using either dividers or vernier callipers and cut 10% shorter lengths of EZLine on the tile by rocking a sharp curved blade over them.

The accelerator is in a pump action spray bottle. I never use the spray action but I unscrew the top and touch the elastic thread to the feeder pipe. 

You just need to touch the end of the thread to the blob and hold it for a few seconds until the accelerator does its work. Try to get the thread at the right position and angle for the run.

An optivisor is a great help. I got one from EBay for around a tenner with LED lights and a set of lenses and I've been really pleased with it. The downside is that you get to see all your paintwork in far too much detail!

Tall thin accelerator bottles are easy to knock over. Ask me how I know 🙄. I usually work with just the top and feeder pipe on the bench and put the topless bottle somewhere out of harm's way.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bombs loaded:

IMG-8055.jpg

The 20 pounders are from the KP DH9A and the 112s are from the Airfix DH4. The 112s should be shorter and I've seen pictures of them mounted in tandem on the same rail, but I've gone for the easy route in the interests of finishing!

• Like 15