Fleet Air Arm recent finishes. Korea & WWII

Couple of models I have just managed to finish up.  

The Korea pair should have been completed as part of the "Here comes the Fleet Air Arm" Group Build but unfortunately I became unwell and was unable to finish them until now.  Not quite up to my usual standard but I am hoping to get back there.

Anyway - here we go..

First up

Supermarine Seafire 47 VP480/180P 800 NAS, 13th CAG, HMS Triumph. Korea Aug 1950

13.08.50 Armed Reconnaissance Chinnampo Harbour Korea.

Flown by Lt RA "Dick" Peters.

Airfix 1/48.

• Barracuda replacement bonnet.
  • Airscale instrument decals.
  • Colour Coats Enamel paint.
  • OOB Decals.

53426365621_78707e2941_o.jpg

53425441052_dc89e53a52_o.jpg

53426788680_8b85a289e1_o.jpg

53426688069_a14e83ce18_o.jpg

53426688074_de1ec768f7_o.jpg

Next

For six decades, the credit for the first jet kill by a piston engine fighter in Korea had gone to Lt Peter “Hoagy” Carmichael. This was accepted fact however, recent research has proven beyond doubt the actual pilot who bagged the Mig-15 was another pilot in Carmichaels Flight, Sub Lieutenant Brian “Smoo” Ellis. Ellis has now been given official recognition for his amazing feat of airmanship.

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11. WJ223/O106

802 NAS,

HMS Ocean.

Korea

09.08.1952. Mig-15 Destroyed

SLt Brian "Smoo" Ellis.

Airfix 1/48.

• Barracuda cowling & engine.
  • Eduard interior and exterior detail sets.
  • Paint:- Colourcoats enamel
  • Markings:- Fundekals

Did go quite as hoped. Fitters need to do a bit more cleaning on the airframe

53425442687_6a206a011c_o.jpg

53425442682_4d9c279680_o.jpg

53426790250_0c6e97c5d0_o.jpg

53425442677_6b96fff564_o.jpg

53425442672_82b1d2721a_o.jpg

Last up

Eastern Built Wildcat V JV384 6*F

882 NAS,

HMS Searcher

Operation Hoops May-1944

06.05.44 0820 2x BV138 Shared Destroyed with JV538/7*X(?). Off Vevang Norway.

S/Lt John Arthur Cotching

Cotching was killed two days later whilst attacking flak ships defending a convoy.

He had previously served in Orange Section, ‘A’ Flight, 806 NAS HMS Indomitable Operation Pedestal Aug-1942

12.08.40 S.79 Destroyed, Re.2001 Destroyed.  Grumman Martlet MkII AM968/8M.

Kit:- Hobby Boss FM-1 1/48

• Paint:- Colourcoates Enamels
  • Markings:- Mix of what I had available.

53426525578_3b012a9972_o.jpg

53426791740_e90044fc22_o.jpg

53426690959_aeb8aa7f00_o.jpg

Thanks for stopping by..

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

All three kits are done superbly.  The finish and weathering is just so nice.  And, the way you have photographed them with the background picture just makes them stand out even better.  Thanks for sharing all three and special thanks for sharing the backgrounds of each aircraft.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

All three kits are done superbly.  The finish and weathering is just so nice.  And, the way you have photographed them with the background picture just makes them stand out even better.  Thanks for sharing all three and special thanks for sharing the backgrounds of each aircraft.  

Thank you @georgeusa to me, the model is part of a story that should not be forgotten.

• Like 1

As the others have said, all three are beauts- I really find it hard to pick one above the others, but RN Korean War aircraft are all beautiful, regardless of type! Some observations:

• the Seafire 47 is such a brute, compared to the earlier variants- very nice weathering on this one!
  • the Sea Fury is so handsome in Korean War markings; I had read account that Carmichael's kill might not have been the first, but appreciated your research and narrative; the backstory always gives the model a real life connection;; you also nailed  the color of the primer that Hawker used on late Tempests and Sea Furies..
  • you just need a Firefly to go with the Seafire and Sea Fury for the RN Korean war trifecta!  :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

As the others have said, all three are beauts- I really find it hard to pick one above the others, but RN Korean War aircraft are all beautiful, regardless of type! Some observations:

• the Seafire 47 is such a brute, compared to the earlier variants- very nice weathering on this one!
  • the Sea Fury is so handsome in Korean War markings; I had read account that Carmichael's kill might not have been the first, but appreciated your research and narrative; the backstory always gives the model a real life connection;; you also nailed  the color of the primer that Hawker used on late Tempests and Sea Furies..
  • you just need a Firefly to go with the Seafire and Sea Fury for the RN Korean war trifecta!  :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you Mike, for your comments.  I think the Sky, EDSG finish is so smart too.

The Fireflies on HMS Triumph were WWII MkIs.  Photos show a mix of both TSS ans Sky EDSG aircraft on deck.  Oceans aircraft were the later Mks so I would need to do some research to get that right…

• Like 1

Three excellent results and having not long read about the ‘real’ Mig shooter, it’s good to see this aircraft replicated beautifully in model form too. 

I must get one of those Spit 47’s… looks so impressive in Korean War colours. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Lovely models, the first photo of the Seafire really caught my attention.

It's very atmospheric.

Great weathering on all three, especially the exhaust staining.

I find that most hard to do convincingly...

Edited by Zephyr
i cant rite or spel, n sometime i leeve uot leters
  • Like 1