1/48 Bell OH-13 Sioux, Italeri+BIG ED

Fuad

Hi everyone! Let me present you my next model from "Italeri". The truth is that this plastic model is physically incapable of depicting this sleek helicopter to scale. To do this, you need to solder the tail boom from metal rods.  

Wt3clIH.jpg

BNrtOYF.jpg

i0P9Om8.jpg

eMiqg2F.jpg

9bmikQA.jpg

adozI6D.jpg

RamdvnP.jpg

7aDS0U8.jpg

lS1KlWD.jpg

mcpKlzc.jpg

TwdeXRL.jpg

bk7AFdD.jpg

0sYIakz.jpg

VNBh7uS.jpg

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Jonners said:

That's fantastic! How did you get the plexiglass bubble to look so clear?

This is entirely the merit of Italeri. I didn't do anything with it.

• Like 3

Hi Fuad,

this is a very convincing chopper. I love it.

JR

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Beautiful, the canopy is especially good! Did you make the tail from metal rod or is that the kit plastic?  

No, unfortunately my soldering skills are not enough to make such a complex design. This is plastic from a set, which is at least twice as thick as the original.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:00 AM, Fuad said:

To do this, you need to solder the tail boom from metal rods. 

I've been thinking about doing this with mine in the stash. It would get very tail-heavy, though and would be very finnicky to boot! Yours looks great as is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I've been thinking about doing this with mine in the stash. It would get very tail-heavy, though and would be very finnicky to boot! Yours looks great as is.

Yes, I agree. A dilemma arises. If you make it from metal, then you will need to make runners from them and also add a flat weight under the floor of the cabin. What confuses me more about this idea is the heterogeneity of the metal structure and the need to combine different profiles. Apparently some of them will have to be left plastic, but at the same time the thickness will have to be significantly reduced. For example, I mean the beam to which the rear direction screw is attached.

• Like 1

I've worked on Bell 47s and you're correct. There are a number of different diameter tubes used on the tailboom and the engine truss frames. Way too hard to reproduce in metal for me!

• Like 1