RIAT 2023

Paul J

not sure if this is the right page to ask, I will be going to Fairford next weekend on the Saturday and it will be the first time since 1998!!!!  What I would like to know , being aware of security etc, how far will it be to walk from whatever carpark, will it  be into the grounds. Are car parks off the airfield??   I have advanced tickets .  Will it be possible to go back to the car and back on to the show grounds during the day?  I will be coming from M$ and A419 from Swindon area.   Any other help, guidance tips etc is appreciated.  Thanks

• Like 1

Lucky you!

I went last year for the first time and had the most marvelous time - on my own, doing my own thing, told family they would get in the way and cramp my style. Although my wife has suggested I go this year I've decided to leave it a few years between going so it is special.

The carparks are onsite and you can get readmittance if you want to go back to it. It's a lot less to walk from the carparks than it is the length of the runway! Take walking boots. I walked 14 miles.

Get there as early as you can seems to be the advice. I went in my caravan arriving on the Friday and leaving on Sunday. When I left the nearby campsite at around 11.00 on Sunday there was a huge traffic queue waiting to get in, and they were clearly missing half the day's show. By "early" many people seem to suggest 6-7am. Seriously.

As for tips if you want a front row seat for the flying you need to bag your place and stay there which means missing the static park. I found a useful place was the taxiway about 2/3 of the way down the runway to the west. You can't place chairs there as it is emergency access which means it is quiet but they tolerate you sitting on the ground as long as you are away from the centre of the taxiway. You can then get up as and when you want to see the show.

Toilets were plentiful and there was loads of fresh water on tap so just take a bottle to refresh. If it's sunny remember airfields get hot and the concrete reflects the sun up so plenty of factor 30. If it's windy and cool then airfields are the windiest places on earth so double whatever clothes you think you need!

Hope you have as good a time as I did.

Edited by Pigpen
  • Like 3

Thanks for all that. I'll be with the wife as she bought me the tickets for my 70th.. 

Next thing I am worried about is the disruption by those ameobas that like sitting in the roads.

I was going around the same time as you, gave up around 10 years ago, price, the sheer distance to travel, traffic and the static/display variety conspired together for me to conclude it wasn't worth it

I don't think it matters which car park you end up in (some are still off field?) you've still got alot of walking so even though you can walk in and out in my opinion it's not worth it, spend the energy getting around the static! Having said that the free bus service is very handy, once we'd looked at the static it was a trip back on the bus back to the entrance, walk to the car, have something to munch and then repeat on the way back.

Early is the way to go, seems it hasn't changed and 7am is a sound idea, we'd have to leave before 5am from Suffolk and never got back until midnight, was always worse leaving and left  late, often having a look in at Tom O'Connor I think it was when on stage?!

• Like 1

I've gone on and off over the past twenty odd years and the one thing that has not changed is that if you are not there early at first sparrow flatulence then you will have a long wait on your hands.  That said it can be a good day out.  The weather this year is forecast as "iffy".  Low cloud could be a pain but that said the weather can change quickly enough.

I will be there on Saturday.  I am driving down on Friday, having a dinner locally and getting up very early and heading to arrive when the gates open or just before to get in the early bird queue.  Mrs T was coming but our girl GSD of nine months has chosen to come into heat this week and our boy is finding her strangely interesting so litter prevention needs to be on hand.  They would both have been going to stay with our friendly GSD owner where they holiday but he is headed away there on his own for ten days till the “crisis" is all over.

• Like 1

There is alot of info on the RIAT website. Have a look at the maps you will be going to the blue car park if coming from Swindon. The gate is across the road from the car park however if you do not go early (by 07.00) you will be walking a long way to get to the back of the queue to then walk all the way back to the entrance. All car parks are off site and new for this year is a 100% bag check, there will be three queues those without bags then those with hand luggage and then those with much more. Which will be checked by xray machines so expect long queues if carrying alot of stuff. Hope you have a great day just be prepared to walk......

Nothing extra to add in terms of advice really - I don't think you can re-iterate enough about arriving early. Once you get to 9-10, all of the families are queueing and if you are that late expect to see the first few displays from your car seat! 

It's also a wonderful sight with the early morning as you approach the airfield, the great tail fins of Galaxies and the like rising out of the morning mist like dinosaurs. 

Wear good walking shoes as even the walk to the runway is a bit of a distance. If you want to view all of the statics too (which are definitely worthwhile) you can add at least a couple of miles to that*. I would take water and food as prices and queues on site can be excessive, but this is the same with any open door sporting event. 

Ear plugs not a bad idea too, some of the stuff (I see there are Harriers there this year, which are particularly noisy) can get tiring after a while.

I wouldn't be too worried about rushing to a spot to view as after all the runway is a tremendous length and the planes are up in the air, you will have no trouble finding somewhere to sit and view. Unless of course you want to go to the far right (as you look at it) of the runway for take-offs etc. 

I generally get a program as you go in, if you are early enough see a bit of the static display before it gets too busy, and then find a place to sit and watch as the display gets going. 

It's a fantastic day and wonderful air show, hope you enjoy it! I have been a few years in a row now so giving this year a miss with general entry, although if the weather permits I may take my bike down on Monday morning and park up at the end of the runway. A cheap way to see the planes heading home after the event, and you get to see a few of the static display aircraft leaving too. 

* I just checked back to my fitness watch and it was about 5 miles walking over the course of the day for 2022, to give some indication. 

Edited by Filbert_Wang

I'll  be night stopping at a motel on the M4 on Friday as a halfway point from my home. Saturday a. Will be an early departure for another 1 and half hour drive with the missus doing the driving leaving me free to navigate.  I wonder how much I'll  remember.  I'll just have to accept the queuing as that is par for the course isn't  it. Its just the weather that is concerning.

Seriously considering of not bothering to go on account of the weather. I know I'll  lose my money but the wife got the tickets as a birthday treat for me so I feel bad if we do scrub the journey. Also we are booked in at a travelodge half way there but that can be cancelled I think.

It so depressing.

Maybe the weather will do its worse overnight  and gives us some patches  of blue sky l tbe morning to be enough for several sailors trousers!

We left about 1:30 this afternoon because there was no real chance of getting any photos in the appalling weather conditions but they were running a flying display. The Saudi team, Saab Gripen and French KC-135 all flew

Not going to RIAT for a number of reasons, but venturing to Flying Legends, which is near. Weather not promising, but going as a) spent serious money and b) a chance to get close to some warbirds. 

You can console yourself with if you go that there is a large static and other things to look at, and so at least some return. I am going prepared with a full set of waterproofs, walking boots etc. It is only water and if I be warm, I will be OK. 

• Like 2

I'm typing this sat in the garden under cover and it's monsooning at the moment. I hope it is bearable and they have the forecast wrong, especially at the prices to get in. But hey its the UK in summer so no one can predict the weather for what was planned ages ago. Going to make another coffee.

• Like 1

Just got back from a long wet  windswept day at RIAT. Long time to get in but only a few minutes to get out as we left at 16:15pm. Enjoyed what I could walked the static line about 3 and half times photographing virtually all the aircraft, in torrential conditions or fighting against the wind. Rafale was splendid  seeing a Harrier in the air after a long time was a treat, and my pics of the flying items are next to useless because I am unable to keep camera steady let alone the wind hampering my efforts. My last ever trip to a major airshow ......Ever!!

• Sad 2

P.s.: Witnessed the Army Scout get damaged as I was walking passed. One of the crew was about to step out when a huge gust of wind caught the open door and whacked it against the side breaking a couple of panes of the perspex glazing  with the bits blowing across the apron. The bits all got recovered luckily. Red faces at the inquiry I think.

• Sad 1

• Paul J changed the title to RIAT 2023

I went on Monday morning and I think was fortunate probably had the best weather of the weekend, parked at the end of the runway (Eastern end) and got to see a good amount of the aircraft leaving, including a few of the display teams (Red Arrows), the Sukhoi Fitter and Phantom. The Phantom took off, disappeared for about 10 minutes, and then came back in to land (so not sure what happened there). The Rafales put on a bit of a show, using the afterburners for a good few moments, before going almost completely verticle and heading off up into the clouds. And quite funny seeing a line of Eurofighters queuing behind a departing civilian Cesna, then having to wait about 5 minutes for that aircraft to get a sufficient distance from the runway. 

I was very lucky to get parking (in a tiny car!) so the parking spaces are very limited, unless you are willing to walk a little bit or come in on a bicycle or motorbike, which can then park just off road.

The Phantom return as the French refused it entry into their airspace even tho they had submitted a flight plan. The two amx were also delayed by at least two hours for the same reason

19 hours ago, MASU said:

The Phantom return as the French refused it entry into their airspace even tho they had submitted a flight plan. The two amx were also delayed by at least two hours for the same reason

That is fascinating to know, thank you

One or two things I found disappointing were the absence of at least one RAF Herc. I know they have all been retired but could they not have had just one for he show for the last time for the public to see. And the absence of the Italian Frecce Tricolori team.