BOAC Mosquito PR.Mk.IV - GB refugee definitely not going into KUTA

IMG-2235.jpgThis is the kit.

IMG-2490.jpg

And this is the scheme I’m going to do. BOAC operated a number of PR.Mk IV and VI between Scotland and Sweden during the war.

IMG-2491.jpg

They were specially modified to take a single passenger in the bomb bay, but externally identical to a regular Mosquito. They were civilian registered and the letters were underlined in red white and blue to emphasise their civilian nature.

One of the many and fascinating applications of the Mosquito and an extremely interesting part of its history.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 11

Great! 🙂

They were not operated between England and Sweden, but between Scotland and Sweden. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

One ting, though. The single BOAC Mosquito Mk.IV did not carry passenger in the bomb bay. Because the doors were single items, left and right. Passengers were carried in Mk.VI aircraft. These had split doors, meaning that the forward pair, where the passenger was "seated", could be closed, while access was made possible through the rear set of doors.

Nils

PS. The full history of the BOAC Mosquitos (including scale drawings) is available in my book "The Stockholm Run".

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Will you be using the Vingtor decals on this one? The decal set comes with several colour options.

Regards Toby

No I was planning on painting/printing/raiding the Decal box as appropriate.

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

I was planning on painting/printing/raiding the Decal box as appropriate.

Sounds interesting... 🙂 Not the most commonly surplus decals, and not the easiest decals to paint. I know, because I have done it myself in 1/48 scale, long time ago.

Nils

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Not the most commonly surplus decals, and not the easiest decals to paint. I know, because I have done it myself in 1/48 scale, long time ago.

No now that I look at it a bit more I think the letters are quite different from the standard RAF lettering. The stripes would be easy enough.

25 minutes ago, Marklo said:

the letters are quite different from the standard RAF lettering.

Most difficult would be the 1" silver outline for the letters.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice project, Marklo, and I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one running into August with plenty still to do.... 😊😇

Just going from memory here, I think the Danish scientist Nils Bohr was brought out in one of these Mossies. Must be the ride of a lifetime....!! 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

I think the Danish scientist Nils Bohr was brought out in one of these Mossies. Must be the ride of a lifetime....!! 

Not in the Mk.IV though, as it was not equipped to carry passenger. Both Niels Bohrs (father and son) were flown from Stockholm to Scotland in Mosquito Mk.VIs. I have registrations, pilots, times etc. somewhere...

Nils (not Bohr)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2023 at 12:25 AM, Vingtor said:

Passengers were carried in Mk.VI aircraft. These had split doors, meaning that the forward pair, where the passenger was "seated"

Must have been very Bo(h)ring flight there!

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Marklo changed the title to BOAC Mosquito PR.Mk.IV - GB refugee definitely not going into KUTA
On 09/06/2023 at 22:25, Vingtor said:

Passengers were carried in Mk.VI aircraft. These had split doors, meaning that the forward pair, where the passenger was "seated", could be closed, while access was made possible through the rear set of doors.

I have to say, if I were to be a passenger in the bomb bay, I personally would want quite a lot of reassurance that the doors aren't going to open by accident...

:coat:

Adrian

PS nice mossie!

(edit) PPS I guess RyanAir would have made you pay a "forward bomb bay supplement" :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I have to say, if I were to be a passenger in the bomb bay, I personally would want quite a lot of reassurance that the doors aren't going to open by accident...

The forward "bomb bay" doors on the FBVI weren't bomb doors as such, they covered the 4 x 20 mm hispano cannons and could only be manually opened or closed on the ground by undoing clamps along the joining edge and hinging them down for access to the cannons. The rear doors were conventional bomb doors which could be operated in flight via hydraulic rams. The BOAC conversions had the passenger berth replace the cannons above the closed forward doors, whilst the rear bomb doors were retained for access to the passenger berth and for loading cargo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

have to say, if I were to be a passenger in the bomb bay, I personally would want quite a lot of reassurance that the doors aren't going to open by accident...

That was my thought too. And even if they were secured I can’t imagine how fraught the trip would be.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, BillF67 said:

Masking the canopy has taken 2 days so far 😵‍💫

Ouch I’m hoping I’ll be a bit quicker. I usually use bostic self adhesive foil and a fresh #11 scalpel blade. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Ouch I’m hoping I’ll be a bit quicker. I usually use bostic self adhesive foil and a fresh #11 scalpel blade. 

I tried for two days with Tamiya tape. Got a couple of lines done but even with my big eyes on, couldn’t see the small areas. So I gave up. Found a set of pre cut from Peewit and ordered 2 (I have both Mark 1 Mosquitos).

• Like 2