1/72 Special Hobby Mirages F1AZ/B/CZ

Three in a single posting may help to explain why I've been keeping such a low profile on BM recently. Not too sure if building all three in parallel was such a good idea as things got a bit tense near the end - just needed to paint 16 wheels and carefully glue on 24 undercarriage doors.......  😢

Nice kits with plenty of detail and very comprehensive decals, but I did have to apply a bit of elbow grease here and there. (One thing for sure is that the cockpit canopies were not designed to be closed, but brute force, ignorance and 240 grit saved the day !) 

Left to right :

• Mirage F1AZ - South African Air Force - 1 Squadron
  • Mirage F1B - French Air Force - 3/33
  • Mirage F1CZ - South African Air Force - 3 Squadron

HHKIr9M.jpg

Mirage F1AZ - South African Air Force - No. 1 Squadron (1996) - "Cheetah Eater"

VDNj7hg.jpg

8aasSvc.jpg

luL3CLo.jpg

Mirage F1B - French Air Force 3/33 (2004) - 60th Anniversary of D-Day :

Pc2OnW5.jpg

VQNqsaW.jpg

OngJ97J.jpg

Mirage F1CZ - South African Air Force - No. 3 Squadron (1981) :

VU2pSfv.jpg

uuFxmzT.jpg

U968fXX.jpg

Three down and three to go - two more SAAF jets and another French one....

....but not this year 🥴

Thanks for looking

mike

• Like 55

About time you finished these isn't it..... :tease: 🤣 (yes,yes, I know, I can talk!!)

Seriously though, those are three real crackers Mike, all beautifully finished! Fave has to be 'Cheetah Eater', love that scheme!

Did you take them to club on Wednesday? Gutted to have missed them if you did - damn 'flu has got me down this week!

Lovely work on them all!

Keith

• Like 1

Those really look the goods. No favourites, they're all standouts in their own way. What blue did you use on the Armee de L'Air B? To my eye, it has caught that French Blue as well as any I've seen. Your colour choices all hit the mark though. 👍Steve.

• Like 1

Lovely trio, especially the Cheetah Killer. I am glad to see I'm not the only one who built multiple kits of the same aircraft at the same time recently (i'm almost done with a 4 A-7 build) so I can relate to the multiple (40 in my case) landing gear door comment.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the Cheetah Killer, actually. I guess I could look it up online but I'd love to hear a bit more about it from you if that's OK, Mike, perhaps with some context why that aircraft appealed to you, if there's a back story behind the choice?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:33 PM, keefr22 said:

About time you finished these isn't it..... :tease: 🤣 (yes,yes, I know, I can talk!!)

Seriously though, those are three real crackers Mike, all beautifully finished! Fave has to be 'Cheetah Eater', love that scheme!

Did you take them to club on Wednesday? Gutted to have missed them if you did - damn 'flu has got me down this week!

Lovely work on them all!

Keith

Thanks Keith. I did drag them into the club on Wednesday, but I'll make an effort to bring them along to the next meeting. (Sorry that the 'flu got the better of you this week).

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Those really look the goods. No favourites, they're all standouts in their own way. What blue did you use on the Armee de L'Air B? To my eye, it has caught that French Blue as well as any I've seen. Your colour choices all hit the mark though. 👍Steve.

Thanks Steve - the FAF blue was from Colourcoats (ACF10 - Gris Bleu Ciel (Sky Blue)). The majority of the paints on the SAAF Mirages were sourced from the Hataka Orange Line Paint set (South African Air Force Vol.1)

14 hours ago, Hopesdaddy said:

Lovely trio, especially the Cheetah Killer. I am glad to see I'm not the only one who built multiple kits of the same aircraft at the same time recently (i'm almost done with a 4 A-7 build) so I can relate to the multiple (40 in my case) landing gear door comment.

😱 (Looking forward to seeing them appear on Britmodeller)

14 hours ago, kiseca said:

I'm not familiar with the Cheetah Killer, actually. I guess I could look it up online but I'd love to hear a bit more about it from you if that's OK, Mike, perhaps with some context why that aircraft appealed to you, if there's a back story behind the choice?

Thanks Kiseca. Boring back story I'm afraid - I lived in South Africa for 18 years, but had nothing to do with the South African military. As far as "Cheetah Killer" name is concerned, the SAAF Mirages were eventually replaced with the Atlas Cheetah - a heavily modified version of the Mirage III. Some Mirage F1 AZs were used for annual supersonic Air Combat Training, and parts of these aircraft were painted white to distinguish them from other Mirage F1s and Atlas Cheetahs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2