Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc with Soviet engine Asch 82. 1/72, kit Omega

Thank you for sharing. I knew that the Soviets reenigned quite many P-40s with domestic engines but I have never seen a Hurricane with a Russian built engine. Was this a prototype only or did they convert a greater number of Hurricanes?

• Thanks 1

This is a problem with What-Ifs.  Nor everyone realises what they are.  I don't think that the Russians would have considered re-engining what they considered an inferior imported fighter - though a Klimov might have been considered rather than a precious M-82.  Certainly a nicely done model and an interesting idea, though I wonder about possible cg/handling problems.  Given that much the same conversion worked with the LaGG-3 (and was tried with the Yak family) maybe not.

• Like 1

Great looking what if project.  Don't know if it was ever made into a prototype or not.  Given the amount of modifications Russians did in the field and/or trying out in factories, who knows if some crazy mechanic had an engine without an airplane and an airplane without a body and wanted to see if it could work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Thank you for sharing. I knew that the Soviets reenigned quite many P-40s with domestic engines but I have never seen a Hurricane with a Russian built engine. Was this a prototype only or did they convert a greater number of Hurricanes?

Thank you and welcome mate.

I don't know if it is a prototype or a "what if" plane.

Alain

17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

This is a problem with What-Ifs.  Nor everyone realises what they are.  I don't think that the Russians would have considered re-engining what they considered an inferior imported fighter - though a Klimov might have been considered rather than a precious M-82.  Certainly a nicely done model and an interesting idea, though I wonder about possible cg/handling problems.  Given that much the same conversion worked with the LaGG-3 (and was tried with the Yak family) maybe not.

It is just an Omega from the box kit. No mind complication.

Buy once upon a time in Prague during an E day.

Alain

This makes an interesting comparison with Hawker's own project for a Hercules-engined Hurricane, which was slightly more basic.  I remember my own "Oscar Killer" - four blade prop, tear drop canopy, clipped wings, 2 cannon, but probably less potent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Great looking what if project.  Don't know if it was ever made into a prototype or not.  Given the amount of modifications Russians did in the field and/or trying out in factories, who knows if some crazy mechanic had an engine without an airplane and an airplane without a body and wanted to see if it could work.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you mate. I don't exactly know If it's a what if or not. I ask an answer from Omega factory, but no aswer for now.

Alain

Whether the model represents an actual prototype or is a "what if" it is wonderfully different and very well built.

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2023 at 15:18, 112 Squadron said:

Was this a prototype only or did they convert a greater number of Hurricanes?

Paper project.

On 06/04/2023 at 17:18, georgeusa said:

Don't know if it was ever made into a prototype or not.  Given the amount of modifications Russians did in the field and/or trying out in factories

Soviet modifications were not done on a whim in the field.  With Hurricane re-gunning it was done to a specification, they tried 3 options, and the final one was pretty consistent in application.   

13 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

I don't exactly know If it's a what if or not.

It was suggested.  I have have never seen any mention it ever got further than an idea.

Neat model  :goodjob:

this is the most up to date work on the subject, has a lot of information I'd not seen before.

helion1000555.jpg

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/lend-lease-and-soviet-aviation-in-the-second-world-war-.php

Great text, the photos are a bit small, which is a shame as there are some great images, and a lot of the colour profiles are fantasy (no supporting photo and often long discredited)

otherwise, highly recommended

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

This makes an interesting comparison with Hawker's own project for a Hercules-engined Hurricane, which was slightly more basic.  I remember my own "Oscar Killer" - four blade prop, tear drop canopy, clipped wings, 2 cannon, but probably less potent.

The kit exist in the Omaga range, but I never finf it.

I stop my visit to Prague when the E day was relocate outsie the city.

Alain

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

This is for you

https://omega-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=378&search=hurricane

Alain

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Whether the model represents an actual prototype or is a "what if" it is wonderfully different and very well built.

Thank you very much.

Alain

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Paper project.

Soviet modifications were not done on a whim in the field.  With Hurricane re-gunning it was done to a specification, they tried 3 options, and the final one was pretty consistent in application.   

It was suggested.  I have have never seen any mention it ever got further than an idea.

Neat model  :goodjob:

this is the most up to date work on the subject, has a lot of information I'd not seen before.

helion1000555.jpg

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/lend-lease-and-soviet-aviation-in-the-second-world-war-.php

Great text, the photos are a bit small, which is a shame as there are some great images, and a lot of the colour profiles are fantasy (no supporting photo and often long discredited)

otherwise, highly recommended

HTH

Thank you, and thank you for the informations.

Alain

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Whif or not, it is a very nicely done build on what could have been a good looking & fairly capable aircraft to my mind. I'd rather think of it as a could have been. :)

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve.

Alain

• Like 1

On 06/04/2023 at 17:09, Graham Boak said:

I have receive this from the owner of Omega models.

Dear Mr. Alain

sorry for my late reply, I was away from home. The blueprint for this model airplane was created by a former modeler colleague of mine. Unfortunately, he has already died, so I can only offer you an excerpt from the instructions he created for the model.

"More of Hurricanne was sold from Great Britain to Russia during WW2. A few of them were adapt for various intentions. We present next, which in course of manufacture modification fighter VVS. The airframe of Hurri was very good. The idea Schwetsov Ash-82 mounting into airframe Hurri was elaborations in No.81 aircraft factory during 1942/43 years. The plane was no make in series because, existed a few constructions powered Asch-82. OMEGA have decide made the kit for completion Hurri family. We will continue made next interesting Hurricanes. The Hurri Asch-82 was armament 2x Schvak 20 mm and 2x UBS 12,7 mm. Details for the plane and camouflage was consulting  with Mr. A. S. Davidonok "   

--
Best regards
Milan

Alain

• Like 2