1/32 Pacific Coast Models Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario

spitfire

Hi Dennis

So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.  

The model looks great with the paint on looks quite sporty in the gloss finish,   a what if overall Ferrari red example would look good too..

Great work and it's great to hear your ete op went well too. 

Chris

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

So sorry for your loss.

As to the model, that paint looks smooth as glass.

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Dennis

So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.  

The model looks great with the paint on looks quite sporty in the gloss finish,   a what if overall Ferrari red example would look good too..

Great work and it's great to hear your ete op went well too. 

Chris

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Also sorry for your loss Dennis, keep your chin up.

John

Thank you all for the support, but life goes on and modelling is getting me back to normal.

The glossy paint is all down to Xtracolor, I'm lazy, so use it so I do not need a gloss coat.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well some progress, not much I stripped off the masking and white tac, I also accidently pulled off the under fuselage radiator as well, I glued it back on and managed to drop a spot of CA on the fuselage, hay ho.

It is all fixed now, I just have to decide whether to go the mask or decal route for the wing markings, the latter is tempting as it will be quicker, but most of the decal will be clear film so the risk of silvering is high, but the risk of pulling paint off when removing masking is as well, so I will have to ponder this one a bit more.

I did some fading on the upper surfaces but as mentioned early it is very faint as these were new machines that did not last long in service.

There are no commercially available masks for the Re2005, but I only need the wing national markings really so I stocked up on Montex C202 and C205 masks which should do nicely as they are roughly the right size wjhen compaired with the kit decals.

Well this is were we are now, the soft edge to the upper and lower colours looks just as I wanted it so that is a plus and the white band and crosses don't look crooked, so I am happy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 9

The white bits look good and the soft demarcations are just right for the scale.

I usually go for decals because when I get to that stage ( usually after several weeks/months ) I just want it finished, but it’s always a bit of a gamble when large areas of clear film are involved. Good luck whichever way you go.

John

Thank you John, I think that I will experiment with the undersides of the wings, first up masks and paint I think, as you say at this stage I just want it finished.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks Neil, I had a free afternoon so I sat down at my bench and just got on with it, I settled on my normal method of using masks to paint the markings.

At least it was not a 4 colour RAF roundel where you are removing and replacing mask sections all the time which is a pain but admittedley it is worth it in the end.

So a simple Italian national marking should be no problem.

I collected these and used the wing markings for the MC202 as they were just about the same size as the kit decals but also the masks look more accurate;

spacer.png

First up as usual was to nail down the position of the markings, this was a guesstimate judging by the position on the C202 and C205, as usual I made a test circle using my Offla P cutter.

spacer.png

Checking this with the mask enabled me to mark the place to affix the mask using tape.

spacer.png

And with the mask in position, note the arrows are there as a guide, the maskings are handed, the axe heads point outwards and the thick ends point backwards.

spacer.png

Tape on the mask to hold it together when I remove the backing (transfer tape).

spacer.png

Backing removed and stuck on my hand to make it less sticky to hopefully prevent the mask pulling paint off, gosh my hands look old, well I suppose they are.

spacer.png

Mask in place and the sections to be painted weeded out.

spacer.png

Lots of masking, keeping the tape on the paper and not on the kit.

spacer.png

And out with the trusty airbrush, I decided to use Xtracolor Night Black for this, and this was the result.

spacer.png

And this

spacer.png

And the only damage to the paintwork was this, I will fix this tomorrow as I don't want to handle the model just yet.

I'm very pleased with the result. Hopefully I have got it right.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Dennis, they came out really well; the leading edge camo should be a comparatively easy fix B) 

Cheers,

Stew

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Agreed, hope the rest of them work as well.

John

Thanks guys, first up is to fix the leading edge and then it's decals all the way, so should not take long, then the fiddley bits.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, marvinneko said:

Beautiful work. Thanks for walking us through the masking and painting. Great looking result!

Thank you David, no matter how many times I have used masks I'm always a bit nervous doing it but the results are certainly worth it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The masks turned out really well. Looking ever smarter!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, I am really pleased with the way the masks worked, the markings look really good and no silvering.

Cheers

Dennis

Plodding on, though the end is in sight at last, I have been working on the undercariage and was not impressed with the poor and vague fit of the parts so it was time to drill some holes, make some wheel spindles, pins and make some positive attachment points.

Luckily I have found a great build of the same kit by a guy known as alaninaustria over on LSP so I could pinch some ideas from his build.

This is the result, though still needing some work to tidy it all up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

Meticulous build once more, the masking work for the insignia is very sharp. Good use of transfer masks and cutter to really nail it.

Have a great Christmas and a peaceful break I hope 👍

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

Apologies Dennis, I never noticed the sad news above when I last posted (surfing rather than reading thoroughly). My deepest condolences. 

Neil

No apologies necessary but thank you for the condolences.

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Markings look great Dennis along with the paint too. Cracking work.

Hope you can have a restful and peaceful Christmas Dennis

Chris

Thank you, it is really coming along now and my enthusiasm has returned.

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

Meticulous build once more, the masking work for the insignia is very sharp. Good use of transfer masks and cutter to really nail it.

Have a great Christmas and a peaceful break I hope 👍

Yes despite the faffing about, paint masks are certainly the way to go.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and best wishes to you and yours.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Well by dodging Christmas gatherings and stuff I managed to get some more done on the Re, very enjoyable it was too, though I do not like decals much these seem to have gone on well. I will probably find out when I apply the satin/matt coat, that's usually when the silvering shows up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7

Thanks John and a belated happy new year and all the best to you and yours.

Well I checked the decals next day and they all seem to be fine apart from the red fuselage 362, which was very silvered on the clear parts of the decals, as I did not having anything remotely like it in decals or masks I decided to take drastic action and go "old school".

Very carefully with a fine paintbrush and Mr Mark Softer I poked under the decal until eventually it came free, I then transferred it to some used decal paper.

spacer.png

Then using a new #11 blade I carefully cut away all the clear parts of the decal.

spacer.png

This was a bit tricky especially the curved inside parts of the numbers but eventually I finished them and re applied the numbers individually using lots of Mr Mark Softer, we will see how well I have done when the satin varnish goes on.

spacer.png

Then I carried on with the rest of the decals, mostly stencils, this was not easy as the instruction were useless when it came to exactly where too position them and the illustrations only included one side of the fuselage.

However alaninaustria's superb build gave me the answer for most of them, I did manage to scratch the paint removing an errant piece of clear decal on the 6 and 2 of the fuselage numbers though this will be an easy fix.

spacer.png

Next up came the prop, I copied Alan's build and pinned the prop blades to the hub then assembled the lot, and it looks good to me.

spacer.png

The kit's attachment method for the prop and spinner was a bit iffy to say the least so I improvised,

spacer.png

And luckily it fitted.

The next sad story involves the exhausts but I will go into that in the next post.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7