1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

MiG - 21 f13 is built in 1960. The aircrafts of Finland exploited MiG - 21 f13 from 1963 to 1986. Can I build MiG - 21 f13 in colouring aircrafts of Finland?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MARADER said:

MiG - 21 f13 is built in 1960. The aircrafts of Finland exploited MiG - 21 f13 from 1963 to 1986. Can I build MiG - 21 f13 in colouring aircrafts of Finland?

Yes Volodymyr, that would be OK 👍

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:07 AM, CliffB said:

Funnily enough, I did propose a 'Rolls Royce Powered' GB a few years ago, but there were virtually no takers :(

A Dart collection would be impressive though!

This is a thought that won't go away- I 'm going to put it out in the chat and see if there's any takers a second time around.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I would like to throw in a Mark1 Models kit of the HS748 finished in Mount Cook Airlines livery. The issue I have is that the first aircraft a Series 2 type was received in 1968 which is outside the 1964 cut off point. From what I can find the maiden flight date for a Series 2 modified airframe (Dart 7 uprated engines) G-ARAY, after its conversion from Series 1 type, was November 1961. 

I wondered if that would allow me to build this kit.

Don't worry if it doesn't fall within the parameters of the GB rules, I can look for another subject.

Regards

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi John and thanks for asking.

I've had to do a little bit of research and Wikipedia's showing three 'Series 2' variants:

• Series 2: introduced 1961
  • Series 2A:  introduced 1967
  • Series 2B:  introduced later still.

It appears that the sub-types were primarily initiated by changes in engine spec., but the consequences have been wider (for example the 2B apparently had a 4 feet wider wingspan), so I am viewing these three sub-types has legitimately different variants.

Unfortunately, Mount Cook Airline's first HS.748 (ZK-CWJ), was definitely a Series 2A and these were never produced during the Boomer timeframe.  So regrettably I'm going to say no to this one.  Sorry.

Just for interest, I would have allowed a Series 2, even one manufactured in say 1966.  I'm judging eligibility based on when the variant was made, not the specific airframe.

Good luck with your search for something else 👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Hi John and thanks for asking.

I've had to do a little bit of research and Wikipedia's showing three 'Series 2' variants:

• Series 2: introduced 1961
  • Series 2A:  introduced 1967
  • Series 2B:  introduced later still.

It appears that the sub-types were primarily initiated by changes in engine spec., but the consequences have been wider (for example the 2B apparently had a 4 feet wider wingspan), so I am viewing these three sub-types has legitimately different variants.

Unfortunately, Mount Cook Airline's first HS.748 (ZK-CWJ), was definitely a Series 2A and these were never produced during the Boomer timeframe.  So regrettably I'm going to say no to this one.  Sorry.

Just for interest, I would have allowed a Series 2, even one manufactured in say 1966.  I'm judging eligibility based on when the variant was made, not the specific airframe.

Good luck with your search for something else 👍 

Thanks Cliff. I thought that may be the case, the other subject I may look at is a Comet 4B in BEA Red Square scheme, but I'll check dates etc before committing. Failing that, it will probably be something military.

Regards 

John

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:10 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh no, sanity is draining away and I’ve found a xtradecal sheet with a 617sqn Vulcan that is eligible…..must resist the voices 

Been sent a incredibly tempting ebay offer on an airfix valiant (though really must resist as I'm yet to practice brushing white on something more manageable)...vulcan decals are in my cart and I've had the kit out the stash to have a look at.....voices are getting stronger. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

though really must resist as I'm yet to practice brushing white on something more manageable

Don't brush it.  Use white plastic car primer from a rattle can. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not had much luck with spray cans

Spray cans do need to be used carefully.   I find that lots of thin coats are best.  I tend to hold the model at arms length and just mist the paint on.  Don't let the paint surface get wet because then it runs.

For white, I find it is best to use white primer.  There are many gloss white sprays usually intended for repainting household heating radiators.  However I have found that the droplets from these sprays are quite large because of the viscosity of the paint. 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Spray cans do need to be used carefully.   I find that lots of thin coats are best. 

Where I went wrong, my famous lack of patience resulting in very not thin coats, that and spraying in a shed in December

On 2/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

For white, I find it is best to use white primer.  

I tried with Halfords appliance white over their primer, I have some hycoat white primer, might be worth seeing if I can find small test subject whilst I wait for Amazon to drop the price on the valiant again, though I definitely will not be entering it, haven’t pulled the trigger on the Vulcan yet but I’ve just purchased the eligible decals so a decision might not be far off 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

After a rummage through the stash, I have come across a couple of subjects that I feel are on less shaky ground than the HS 748 Srs 2 proposed earlier. First up on offer would be this Airfix Boeing 727-30 finished in Lufthansa's delivery scheme. I have found photos on Airliners.net and Jetphotos that show D-ABIB operating in early 1964. It didn't appear to be with the fleet long, though I am not sure as to why that would have happened.

53556605612_d3d44dc704_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

53557908530_6e8939bbca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The second option would be a Classic Baby Boomers build that I purchased with money that was given to me at Christmas. I offer up this little Starter Set of Airfix's Aston Martin DB5.

53557792189_8ee386ebc3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

So the choice is yours chaps/chapesses, which would you like me to build as a second subject. I know that at least one person would say 'Build 'em all' :fool::fool: @Enzo the Magnificent;

I am hoping that I am OK to go with either of these.

Cheers

John

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Airfix Boeing 727-30 finished in Lufhansa's delivery scheme.

That's a very stylish livery and so 'of the period', it gets my vote, though 'first' implies more than one so I look froward to the car later!!!!

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 11:42 AM, nimrod54 said:

Hey guys, I would like to throw in a Mark1 Models kit of the HS748 finished in Mount Cook Airlines livery. The issue I have is that the first aircraft a Series 2 type was received in 1968 which is outside the 1964 cut off point. From what I can find the maiden flight date for a Series 2 modified airframe (Dart 7 uprated engines) G-ARAY, after its conversion from Series 1 type, was November 1961. 

Don't worry if it doesn't fall within the parameters of the GB rules, I can look for another subject.

Regards

John

And there's always another GB in prospect- currently testing the waters for this

Over in chat and the feeling is for a very broad definition of Rolls Royce so this would have no problem be accepted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

And there's always another GB in prospect- currently testing the waters for this

Over in chat and the feeling is for a very broad definition of Rolls Royce so this would have no problem be accepted.

I've requested that my name be added to the RR build List. I have recently finished reading a book about the development of the Merlin engine for anyone who may be interested see link below.

Merlin The power behind the Spitfire - Graham Hoyland

Looking forward to that one.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I have recently finished reading a book about the development of the Merlin engine

I've always been fascinated by Miss Shilling's orifice...      :fool: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling's_orifice

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I am hoping that I am OK to go with either of these.

Hi John and you'd absolutely be OK with either the 727 or the DB5 :thumbsup:

Don't ask me to choose between them though - as has been said, that Lufthansa scheme is bang on theme, but on the other hand Goldfinger is my all time favourite film!

Cheers

• Like 2

As I'm a bit stalled on my helicopter (awaiting clear adhesive for the windows to arrive) 

I'm tempted to get another little B. B. Project on the go. 

How's about a T 34/85 done up as used in the Hungarian uprising 1956, maybe with a wrecked building behind it or something. 

I'm thinking keep with the vintage kit idea with a rather shonky old 70s/80s Fujimi 1/72 T34 kit  and a base with a heavily abused 00 gauge card building as background? 

The T344/85, despite being very much a WW2 tank, was manufactured up to 1950 in the USSR if I remember correctly, and then continued production in Poland, Czech, and probably elsewhere til mid 50s so sits fine in the BB period. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

As I'm a bit stalled on my helicopter (awaiting clear adhesive for the windows to arrive) 

I'm tempted to get another little B. B. Project on the go. 

How's about a T 34/85 done up as used in the Hungarian uprising 1956, maybe with a wrecked building behind it or something. 

I'm thinking keep with the vintage kit idea with a rather shonky old 70s/80s Fujimi 1/72 T34 kit  and a base with a heavily abused 00 gauge card building as background? 

The T344/85, despite being very much a WW2 tank, was manufactured up to 1950 in the USSR if I remember correctly, and then continued production in Poland, Czech, and probably elsewhere til mid 50s so sits fine in the BB period. 

spacer.png

Interesting idea, it definitely falls in the time period and should be a good fit. Im pretty sure @CliffB would agree. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Yes, that sounds good to me too :thumbsup:

From what I've seen, Soviet production of the T34/85 actually ended in 1946 - but that's irrelevant!

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 5:27 PM, CliffB said:

As you've got other options Stu, it might be better to pick something else.  Something that more clearly complies with the Rules of the GB 👍

Thanks

Since this I've obviously entered the build in this with a different scheme in mind, I am now considering switching it to the NATO GB just to give me more time but if my original choice can be entered I definitely won't move it. 

So final check, Vulcan XH558 was built in 1960 as the first B2, was converted to a SR2 in 1973 then a K2 in 1982 and then back to a B2 in 1985. I want to do its as it flew again as a B2 in 2007, Can I? 

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

So final check, Vulcan XH558 was built in 1960 as the first B2, was converted to a SR2 in 1973 then a K2 in 1982 and then back to a B2 in 1985. I want to do its as it flew again as a B2 in 2007, Can I? 

Hi Stu.  Yes that would be fine (now I know what you're talking about :winkgrin:).

Cheers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Hi Stu.  Yes that would be fine (now I know what you're talking about :winkgrin:).

Cheers

Duh shouldn't have been so cryptic, also wouldn't have purchased the decals that royal mail lost and underside paint I won't be using now, I shall keep the thread here and make a start pronto :) Cheers 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1