First of the first - 1/72 F-14A 157980 - DONE

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Gull Grey over white really is a classic scheme :speak_cool:

I like how they looked when they were new in that scheme and the paint was still shinny. Only ever saw them on old videos.

• Like 2

Thanks all and paint is done now and glossed. The nose cone could be a little more 'tan' but I can live with it.

52630633171_12b56e32aa_b.jpgRevell_F-14_prototype_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Decals by Caracal went on very nicely - not too many for the prototype which is good.

52630883259_1a68aab1c6_b.jpgRevell_F-14_prototype_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Panel line wash next!

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6

• Dermo245 changed the title to First of the first - 1/72 F-14A 157980 - DONE

So fiddly gear doors and the canopy added and she's done! Will post some more pics in the Gallery.

Am very happy how the mods to the wing fences and gloves turned out - should have used a pencil instead of a panel line wash as she's a little dark for a prototype.

52647305575_b27ca2966a_b.jpgRevell_1_72_Grumman_F-14_prototype_build (10) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

52647125159_bdd4b208b8_b.jpgRevell_1_72_Grumman_F-14_prototype_build (15) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

52646864301_dd41de35a9_b.jpgRevell_1_72_Grumman_F-14_prototype_build (16) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Col and @EnzoMatrix for a great group build and appreciate all your comments and encouragement.

Until the next time, take care and happy modelling.

All the best,

Dermot 

• Like 10

On 12/4/2022 at 6:09 PM, Dermo245 said:

That's a very cool gift to have!

Are you able to share the company images or are they copyrighted?

Aaawww, crap, read your reply a little too late, I'm so sorry for that hickup and being so late. Maybe you can still do some modifications to your model but even if not, you have created a lovely rendition that does the Tomcat legacy justice.

I do have several images of all the prototypes. I just need to look them up. I'm afraid the image you used as a reference seems to be of 157981, i.e. the 2nd prototype which already featured some further modifications compared to no. 1. One can tell by the prominent chin pod, which no. 1 didn't have at the time and also the stencil placement. Here are the company images that got signed by Bob Smyth, the test pilot. Albeit, scanner doesn't work at the moment, so I can only show you some cell phone snaps. Bad quality but what might still be visible are some little things that you might take into account reg. your build. I hope it is not too late but what you can see is that the stenciling on the prototpe no. 1 was different to later prototypes and the serial birds, espescially the placement of the yellow warning stencils and the missing nose pod. No. 1 only had a small probe unde rthe nose. There are also additional antennae on the top of the tailfins and the early tailfins also didn't feature the L-brace stiffeners that you have on your model but rather smaller trapece shaped braces. The L-braces came to the fleet around 1980/81. The speedbrake was also differently shaped and the prototypes featured two instead of just one formation light on the side of the engine nacelles. There are a lot of more subtle differences in panel layout etc. I do have a few good and more detailed reference images of the first prototype and also the other ones on my hard drive but I'm sorry, life has it that I only rarely find the time for the hobby and the forum, only every few weeks but I'll see if I can still find some good reference in my archive if it is not too late?! So sorry for the late response.

Anyways, your rendition looks gorgeous!!!

These are the autographed images of 157980s only two flights:

45104433vp.jpg

45104434xp.jpg

45104435xq.jpg

45104436tx.jpg

45104437xp.jpg

nd this is the titanium block I got from her wingbox after the crash. I also do have really large panels but these are from 157989, i.e. prototype no. 10. I hope I can still grab a larger panel of 157980 in the future from Bob Santiago, the flight security manager or the first prototypes.

45104438pr.jpg

45104439wg.jpg

Edited by bushande
  • Like 3