CAUGHT SURFACING

Hello everyone!

A small reprersentation of a surfacing german U-boat caught during air inspection in Dover Cliffs.

I was actually amazed when reading about Dover and its unique cliffs, so decided to built this diorama.

I would like to have the c;iffs represented more accurate, now its just painted cardboard, so if anyone knows any technique please enlighten me.

Dover%201.jpg       Dover%202.jpg  Dover%203.jpg  Dover%205.jpg

Thank you and Be Well!

IGKOR

• Like 28

Very nice indeed and different. 

The lighthouse is called South Forland. To the left of it is where the Dover big guns would have been and Swingfield radar base.

( I live 20 or so miles  up the coast. Nice area to walk. Spitfires fly over at the weekend from Biggin Hill)

Thanks for sharing 

Dick

Τhank you all, for your comments.

One thing that I understand, is that with every build I get closer to the history behind it.

So, now I know a bit more about Dover area.

To arrange a travel is clicking on my mind. 😄

Be Well!

Igkor

On 7/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, jenko said:

Very nice indeed and different. 

The lighthouse is called South Forland. To the left of it is where the Dover big guns would have been and Swingfield radar base.

( I live 20 or so miles  up the coast. Nice area to walk. Spitfires fly over at the weekend from Biggin Hill)

Thanks for sharing 

Dick

I lived in St Margaret's-at-Cliffe (my dad still does).  South Foreland lighthouse was the first in the UK to have electric light, I believe.  The area around it and down the upper part of Lighthouse Road was liberally sprinkled with fortified, and less fortified, military installations left over from World War II.  Between South Foreland Lighthouse and the cliff edge is the older South Foreland light; this is set lower down the sloping cliff top.  When the two structures are aligned (when viewed from the sea) you are clear of the South Goodwin Sands and can, should you wish, steer in from the southbound traffic lane towards the cliffs.

The radar station is on the site of the former Swingate Down Aerodrome.  From there 2, 3, 4 and 6 Squadrons RFC left for France in the early stages of World War I.  At one point up to the mid 1980s concrete hardstanding and steel(?) hangar door tracks were still on the site, the hardstanding often being used by learner drivers as a practice area.  There was also a stone memorial with a plaque commemorating the departure of the four Squadrons.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2022 at 11:59, IGKOR said:

Τhank you all, for your comments.

One thing that I understand, is that with every build I get closer to the history behind it.

So, now I know a bit more about Dover area.

To arrange a travel is clicking on my mind. 😄

Be Well!

Igkor

I remembered you writing this and thought you'd maybe appreciate this video. (I'm sure others will too.)👍

• Like 3

On 19/08/2022 at 20:39, Stef N. said:

I remembered you writing this and thought you'd maybe appreciate this video. (I'm sure others will too.)👍

Its great!

Thanks fo sharing. Wish I would have been in that Lancaster!

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...