Above the Karman Line GB Chat

But actually having just re-read it at https://web.archive.org/web/20180315230845/https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm I think I'm wrong about that. 

I think he may have even referring to themes like making sure space is "governed by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace" and 'this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it--we mean to lead it." There's also some references about "our leadership in science and in industry, our hopes for peace and security, our obligations to ourselves as well as others, all require us to make this effort, to solve these mysteries, to solve them for the good of all men, and to become the world's leading space-faring nation."

I guess that's what he had in mind?

Such a fantastic speech - I never tire of reading it. 

In fact I was at a big meeting last year about the complex thing I work on and there were a lot of stakeholders there one of whom made some pretty naff comment about how they could put a man on the moon but we couldn't do XYZ.

Later in my summing up, trying to bring the various experts together a bit, I said sthg along the lines of "you referenced NASA's moon program,and you may all be familiar with Kennedy's famous speech at Rice University"we choose to go to the Moon not because it I easy but because it's is hard". Well there is no doubt what we have to do is hard, but let me draw your attention to the next line in his speech, which most people don't know. "Because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills" and that is what I have seen here today".

Got a bit of a positive reaction from all the experten we had there (my work has nothing to do with space at all). I was mostly amazed that rolled off my tongue so smoothly - I guess something good finally came from being both a nerdonaut and a political junkie!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well so much for modelling emergency, the wife took me to Amsterdam on the train for the weekend, but to keep this on topic I was greeted by this @ St Pancras

https://londonist.com/london/art-and-photography/shezad-dawood-hms-alice-liddell-spaceship-st-pancras-station

Yay 100th post, buy & sell here I come!

Edited by mouse808
  • Like 5

We finish in a week, gang. Unfortunately I have been dumped with a big work project next week that can't wait and will take nights, too. So I don't think I can finish my ISS before then. I do think I can get it done by Christmas though.

Is anyone else in with a shot of finishing their builds if we had another few weeks?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you to @Bobby No Macfor generously co-hosting this GB with me and to each and every one of you who participated so enthusiastically. We had some great builds, some really informative, inspiring and entertaining threads, and we've wound up with a really diverse, interesting and impressive gallery.

Thank you! 

I will continue my ISS over the summer, now that I've got it started! Hopefully I get it built in less time than the real thing!

• Like 7

I finished mine a week before the deadline, but completely forgot to update the thread and then post it the gallery!  ( Realized my error a couple of hours too late!). Oh, well…. I updated and closed out my build thread…

EDIT:   I was able to update the gallery after all, with Enzo’s help!

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 4