Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 - Black Mike

A nostalgia build for me as it took me back to my time in Leuchars Signal Box watching the comings and goings from the base.

A massive shout out to @mouse808 who gave me access to a whole load of pictures of the real thing and also to @Ali62 for the beautiful resin Intake Splitters and Exhaust Cans

WIP Here,

Primed with Tamiya Nato Black and Neutral Grey.

Painted with ColourCoats Night Bomber Black, Oxford Blue, Insignia Red, Tamiya Nato Black, Rubber Black, Flat Black, Flat White, Gun Metal, Smoke and a mix of Royal Light Grey and Black for Gull Grey.

Metallics Xtreme Metals Steel, Dark Aluminium, Pale Burnt Metal, Burnt Metal and Aluminium.

Citadel Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia washes

Finished with Windsor & Newton Satin Varnish

gK98JqD.jpg

u5qVtOJ.jpg

UeEaBwH.jpg

6xsyFKR.jpg

qpMEvp6.jpg

vpovj8c.jpg

OeYGDVH.jpg

l0b3otq.jpg

qXpztW8.jpg

UqERE60.jpg

6W8wGie.jpg

etVpTQm.jpg

t1cWRiK.jpg

tjDBMtS.jpg

K3g0jeS.jpg

9xXd3oC.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Excellent model Alistair. Thanks for sharing

When I was a youngster in the 1960s we went on holiday to St Andrews every summer and I always managed to get some train and plane spotting time at Leuchars. I'm old enough (just) to remember the Javelins although my clearest memories are of the Lightnings - a brace of Lightnings passing over the station with their afterburners lit wasn't easily overlooked.  I also saw my last steam locomotive in normal service (a J38) at Leuchars so the place has a lot of memories. Happy days!

I don't remember seeing Black Mike in the flesh (so to speak) although my wife and I always tried to get to the Leuchars Air Show in the 1980s until one memorable occasion when it took us three and a half hours to get out of the car park. We never went back and instead took a flask and a pair of binoculars to the lay-by off the A91 between Guardbridge and St Andrews. It was a good way to watch the flying but, of course, we missed the ground exhibits.

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Oh 😮   Black is the new black,  lovely way to end the year.    😉

Thanks so much that is vey kind of you.

12 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent model Alistair. Thanks for sharing

When I was a youngster in the 1960s we went on holiday to St Andrews every summer and I always managed to get some train and plane spotting time at Leuchars. I'm old enough (just) to remember the Javelins although my clearest memories are of the Lightnings - a brace of Lightnings passing over the station with their afterburners lit wasn't easily overlooked.  I also saw my last steam locomotive in normal service (a J38) at Leuchars so the place has a lot of memories. Happy days!

I don't remember seeing Black Mike in the flesh (so to speak) although my wife and I always tried to get to the Leuchars Air Show in the 1980s until one memorable occasion when it took us three and a half hours to get out of the car park. We never went back and instead took a flask and a pair of binoculars to the lay-by off the A91 between Guardbridge and St Andrews. It was a good way to watch the flying but, of course, we missed the ground exhibits.

Dave G

Thanks Dave,

We used to get the best view of the flying displays from the box at the Air Show, missed all the ground stuff of course but it was a pleasure to be back shift that particular Saturday.

John Cameron always used the leave The Union of South Africa outside the box the night before for us to keep an eye on and she got well inspected too.

I don't know whether I saw Black Mike in the flesh but I still remember well the feeling of air rattling in your lungs as the Phantoms took off directly over the Up Section Signal when we were changing lamps and I'm sure that it must have been one of them.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks bloomin gorgeous Alistair, great work fella. Love the look of these beasties, and you've done a great job on this one.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris,

Once I got past all the clamping and started on the paint it was a blast.

6 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Absolutely superb!  Brit Phantoms rule for sure, and this is no exception!

Many thanks.

That is very kind of you.

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Nicely finished project. Well done Alistair.

Serkan

Thanks so much Serkan.

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Great model Alistair, thank you for the shout out for my products.

Thanks very much.

Your products are top quality and I can only heartily recommend them to anyone.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2