This thing is tiny, about two inches long at most and the close up on my camera is really struggling with it. I will ask Mrs Martian if she can get any better results

Hmmm...

Time for a beer methinks.

Ian

• Haha 5

I do believe Martian Is almost giving his boat a "Lesney look" to it. Almost expect it to have a  nice  little yellow matchbox next to it.I don't think that my fingers would even try to work at that small a scale. Nice Job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

A word befitting a mad Polish trappist monk living in Belgium...

We didn't need the poles....:whistle:

IMG_20240306_134012

Nor blugercruncheon....

IMG_20191214_155909

This one is more efficient......

Excellent thrawler Martian !! 

Amazing job !!

CC

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Wikki says a Thrawler is a larger variety of Spider Crab common to the coast of Norway. Their local Spider Crabs, BTW, can grow to a diameter of ten feet.

I've have just cancelled my Arctic Scuba diving holiday. Off to Skeggy!

• Haha 5

On 3/10/2024 at 9:59 AM, Martian said:

Nice start. Looking at the illustration in Flight magazine the bridge should be slightly more forward but that may be due to perspective.  I assume the extra styrene on the waterline will help in building the diorama.  The southern North Sea in february would probably be a light slate gray with short but steep waves.

>I decided to start the King Stephen diorama by tackling the hardest part first. Chopping up a 1/700 3D printed steam trawler in order to try and make a representation of a steam drifter of the period. Had I chosen to do the diorama in 1/350 scale, my task would have been a whole lot easier but that would have meant trashing a Takom kit for the Zeppelin wreck. Still, I pressed on and here are the results of nearly a whole day's work at the bench. This thing is tiny, about two inches long at most and the close up on my camera is really struggling with it. I will ask Mrs Martian if she can get any better results on her phone camera.

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

328.jpg

331.jpg

334.jpg

339.jpg

Edited by PieterC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Pete!....better try Chapel St. Leonards, 

Yep, The Admiral Benbow on the sea front was a regular delivery. Nice people, coffee and cake!

• Like 3

On 10/03/2024 at 23:44, general melchett said:

Blimey, he’s at it again!

Are we surprised?

On 11/03/2024 at 01:55, Pete in Lincs said:

Wikki says a Thrawler is a larger variety of Spider Crab common to the coast of Norway. Their local Spider Crabs, BTW, can grow to a diameter of ten feet.

I've have just cancelled my Arctic Scuba diving holiday. Off to Skeggy!

There's desperation for you!

21 hours ago, PieterC said:

Thanks Pieter, It may be a case of the working deck being slightly too long for a drifter. However the resin is very brittle and I am pretty sure that it won't stand up to a "cut and shut" job. I have already had to do numerous repairs to the hull where the resin has shattered and accept that I am going to have to live with  the raised foredeck for the same reason. It is only meant to be a representation of the King Stephen in this scale as it is the overall diorama and the story it tells is what really matters here. The 1/144 scale Neomega kit that Mrs Martian got me for Christmas is far more accurate and will appear in the Maritime section of the forums in the not too distant future.

Edit: Sorry Pieter, I forgot to mention that the plastic card additions to the hull are indeed to allow for the depth of the sea base of the diorama.

Martian 👽

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Having got the King Stephen model underway, I decided to bite the bullet and tackle the part of the Royal diorama that

has been worrying me. As suggested by @PieterC earlier in this post, I got hold of an example of the 1/700 Fusi Yama (1865) hull from Shapeways as a starting point for the Royal. this part of the build has been a eight pain in the Martian rectum as I have not been any photographs of the Royal. There are at least six different paintings of the incident and none of them can agree what she looked like. The shape, size, colour, rig and number of mast all differ and one painting even shows her as a steamship. The only thing that documentary evidence can agree upon is that she was a sailing ship. Therefore, after nearly driving myself bonkers deciding how to portray her, I settled on the layout you can see in the accompanying pictures:

340.jpg

332.jpg

341.jpg

343.jpg

342.jpg

The hull got hacked about so much that it is almost scratch built and the mast and most of the yards were from assorted Master sets. I am going to try and tidy up the cross trees as they look a bit rubbish in macro. I now have to work out how to make some radial davits for this build and the King Stephen diorama and think about what I am ging to use for sails. You can buy sets of 1/700 davits but they are quite expensive and as my ship models that I do are nearly all in larger scales, I can't really justify the cost especially as the amount I have already spent on the two dioramas is really starting to add up now.

I have got a Snowman 1/700 Qcumber Class ship started and may either use it as a test piece to experiment with changes I want to make to the kit as there were a few things I did not like about the same firm's P Class kit, or use it for the diorama. We will have to see how it comes along. Either way, I will post some pictures of such changes that I do make to the Snowman kit so that those of you that have the kit have a more enjoyable build.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Martian said:

Therefore, after nearly driving myself bonkers

I think it's way too late for that sort of disclaimer. However, onwards and upwards.

More micro Matelot modelling from the master of the gasbags. That is one tiny ship. Radial Davits? Swoon. 

I'm certain you will overcome the lack of solid evidence regarding this one, and emerge triumphant from the melee!

Good luck and fair winds old chap Alien.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Couldn't you find something smaller to work on?     :)

All flights to Lilliput (you should see Thier 1/700 scale!) have been cancelled due to the continued volcanic nonsense in Iceland. (Other frozen food shops are available). This includes flying saucers and broomsticks. So I think we're stuck with what we see here. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Couldn't you find something smaller to work on?     :)

I don't think we are allowed to discuss the contents of @general melchett's battle y-fronts here; 🤮 as this is supposed to be a family show. In theory anyway, as any parent who lets their offspring read some of this drivel needs their head testing!

Martian (Promoting family values across the Galaxy since err, never really.) 👽

• Haha 5

On 19/03/2024 at 16:52, Pete in Lincs said:

Good luck and fair winds old chap Alien.

Thanks Pete; not sure about the fair winds though as it is curry night at Martian Towers this evening.:unsure: 

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

On 3/19/2024 at 1:38 PM, Martian said:
  • On 3/19/2024 at 1:38 PM, Martian said:

This looks very nice for a first ever sailing ship . About davits, you seem to have access to fine wire for your Zeppelins so you can built basis davits by simply bending wire to an inverted 'J' sage and glueing them to the hull.  

>>>>

The hull got hacked about so much that it is almost scratch built and the mast and most of the yards were from assorted Master sets. I am going to try and tidy up the cross trees as they look a bit rubbish in macro. I now have to work out how to make some radial davits for this build and the King Stephen diorama and think about what I am ging to use for sails. You can buy sets of 1/700 davits but they are quite expensive and as my ship models that I do are nearly all in larger scales, I can't really justify the cost especially as the amount I have already spent on the two dioramas is really starting to add up now.

I have got a Snowman 1/700 Qcumber Class ship started and may either use it as a test piece to experiment with changes I want to make to the kit as there were a few things I did not like about the same firm's P Class kit, or use it for the diorama. We will have to see how it comes along. Either way, I will post some pictures of such changes that I do make to the Snowman kit so that those of you that have the kit have a more enjoyable build.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

Edited by PieterC
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

not sure about the fair winds though as it is curry night at Martian Towers this evening. 

To unashamedly quote that loquacious dullard Slackbladder, the chances of there being any fair winds near Martian, are zero....

I don't think we are allowed to discuss the contents of general melchett's battle y-fronts here; 🤮 .

I'll have you know that the contents of my inner vestments were the talk of the Chipping Sodbury Women's Guild reserves for many a year not to mention the focus of a special report by the Humane Society, June 1918...

Good job on the Royal, I think that's as near as dammit. Following our little tête-à-tête recently I couldn't find anything either (just one thing old fruit, the foremast looks like it's participated in one of your infamous curry nights!...straighten up man!)

• Haha 3

I promised that I would let you know of any new ideas to make building of the Takom kits easier. One of the things  that I have had a bit of trouble with on my past builds of these kits the strength of the attachment of the brass grab rails to the gondolas themselves. On this L.11 build I have tried something a bit different. Instead of gluing the rails to the gondolas from the outside, I have put them in place then flooded where they enter the inside of the gondola parts with CA. This seems to have made for a much stronger bond. I then added the extra stanchions required from the inside and poured in more CA, cutting away any surplus wire when the glue had cured properly. By careful butt fitting of the stanchions to the rails, soldering, with its somewhat difficult clean up given the size of the parts we are talking about here, is unnecessary, the parts are going nowhere. I may add a dab of thin CA to the joints to blend the parts together where they join but probably this will occur anyway when the assembly gets primed with Mr Surfacer.

Some new information gave me the impetus/stupidity to try adding the radiator pipes to the radiators. I used fishing wire for this and they can just be made out in the accompanying picture.

In other news and to reassure @general melchett, I got a small pair of pliers and straightened out my wonky mast (Fnarr, fnarr, snurf, snurf). 

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

344.jpg

345.jpg

346.jpg

347.jpg

• Like 11

I got a small pair of pliers and straightened out my wonky mast (Fnarr, fnarr, snurf, snurf). 

Good Lord, that must have been one small pair of pliers, fnarr, snurf, etc......Ced would be proud of you.

344.jpg

Coming along well, nice to see you added the laundry chute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Martian said:

By careful butt fitting

1 hour ago, Martian said:

with its somewhat difficult clean up given the size of the parts

Tsk, on a Sunday too. Snort! 

Nice gondalas Mister. But who woke up the General?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Good Lord, that must have been one small pair of pliers, fnarr, snurf, etc......Ced would be proud of you.

344.jpg

Coming along well, nice to see you added the laundry chute...

Or the Loo

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

It wasn't too bad although it did hurt a bit when I snapped part of my cross trees off! :yikes:

Watery Eyed of Mars 👽

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1