FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished, Malta Sea Gladiator now underway.

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely!!

K

Thanks Keith  can't wait to get the paint on now.

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Most of us likely have a little reluctance in showing our stuff in macro, I know I do.

You don't need to.

Thanks Mark, really kind of you fella,  your work is impeccable and looks lovely. 

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That looks very nice indeed!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  really pleased with its progress,  nearly complete now. 

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

What he said! Impressive work Chris...

Thanks Roger, very kind, your work is wonderful too.

Thanks guys

Chris

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

Most of us likely have a little reluctance in showing our stuff in macro, I know I do.

You don't need to.

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

What he said! Impressive work Chris...

Nothing I can add to that.

:wow:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Chris, Chris, Chris... Continually excellent work on a wide variety of ever-appealing subjects! I've said a few times these builds have tempted me to start more builds I shouldn't but I finally ended up starting an old FROG Swordfish last night so I can work up the courage to build the Airfix Float Swordfish. It's a surprisingly nice little kit, but I can't decide on a scheme, which isn't helped by my total lack of FAA paint colors. Do you have any idea which scheme you'll go for with yours?

Looking forward to more,
Tweener

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:49 PM, Tweener said:

Chris, Chris, Chris... Continually excellent work on a wide variety of ever-appealing subjects! I've said a few times these builds have tempted me to start more builds I shouldn't but I finally ended up starting an old FROG Swordfish last night so I can work up the courage to build the Airfix Float Swordfish. It's a surprisingly nice little kit, but I can't decide on a scheme, which isn't helped by my total lack of FAA paint colors. Do you have any idea which scheme you'll go for with yours?

Looking forward to more,
Tweener

Thanks Tweener, that's very kind of you.  I have the Frog one too and it is quite a nice kit. The Frog decals usually behave well after all these years.  So not sure if thst will help your decision of which one to go for. The main thing is making sure you have DSG, EDSG and Sky or night if you decide to do a TSS, Taranto or Desert machine.

I am going to do the box art example for my Airfix one which is one of the bomber aircraft used in the Taranto Raid, not sure what scheme to do the Frog one in yet, but for the 32nd scale one a Trainer from the Torpedo Trials unit RNAS Gosport which has some great weathering opportunities. 

Good luck with the Frog one.  If you like the type I can recommend the Frog Blackburn Shark   I built ghat in a GB a few years ago and scratch built yhe interior and really enjoyed it. It would look awesome next to the Swordfish.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

More progress on the Tiggie 

Work has begun on the cockpit doors adding square Rod to the top and bottoms of the PE doors

spacer.png

Struttery painted also added the wire from the Pitot from Little Cars 0.1mm wire

spacer.png

spacer.png

Upper wing decals on too 

spacer.png

Quite pleased with that, will let that lot set now as I have to work on the cables on the underside now.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 14

Oh mate - that is looking awesome. You have also added to my lexicon - struttery! Love it on so many levels,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Tweener, that's very kind of you.  I have the Frog one too and it is quite a nice kit. The Frog decals usually behave well after all these years.  So not sure if thst will help your decision of which one to go for. The main thing is making sure you have DSG, EDSG and Sky or night if you decide to do a TSS, Taranto or Desert machine.

I am going to do the box art example for my Airfix one which is one of the bomber aircraft used in the Taranto Raid, not sure what scheme to do the Frog one in yet, but for the 32nd scale one a Trainer from the Torpedo Training Squadron at Crail which has some great weathering opportunities. 

Good luck with the Frog one.  If you like the type I can recommend the Frog Blackburn Shark   I built ghat in a GB a few years ago and scratch built yhe interior and really enjoyed it. It would look awesome next to the Swordfish.

Thanks

Chris

I've previously tried the Shark once and it ended up in the bin for a number of reasons, almost all my own fault. I've got another stashed away somewhere that I do need to get to eventually, both it and the Swordfish will pair well with my old Seafox. For the Swordfish, I'm rather leaning towards a pre-war silver scheme, quite likely an HMS Glorious scheme. Of course, that would mean buying more decals... For now I'm happy just to get it together; it's a larger plane than I had guessed.

I'll post it soon,
Tweener

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Oh mate - that is looking awesome. You have also added to my lexicon - struttery! Love it on so many levels,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind of you, glad I could assist in tge addition too😉, I will definitely be reusing the word when doing tge Felixstowe 😄 although that will be serious Struttery!!!

3 hours ago, Tweener said:

I've previously tried the Shark once and it ended up in the bin for a number of reasons, almost all my own fault. I've got another stashed away somewhere that I do need to get to eventually, both it and the Swordfish will pair well with my old Seafox. For the Swordfish, I'm rather leaning towards a pre-war silver scheme, quite likely an HMS Glorious scheme. Of course, that would mean buying more decals... For now I'm happy just to get it together; it's a larger plane than I had guessed.

I'll post it soon,
Tweener

The Shark did need some extra work,  but found it very rewarding.

To save you buying a decal set, it might be worth putting a wanted ad in the buy and sell area for the pre war options in the Airfix kits that people may not have used. For example the pre war one in mine is an HMS Courageous machine, I will use that on the Frog kit as it goes with the Shark scheme , but if someone has done a camo aircraft they might have the others spare???

Thanks guys

Chris

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will definitely be reusing the word when doing tge Felixstowe

I'll bet that's not the only ''word(s)'' you'll be using when building that thing Chris....!!! 🤣

K

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'll bet that's not the only ''word(s)'' you'll be using when building that thing Chris....!!! 🤣

K

😄 I think you're right there Keith, some French may be used, as well as some of my favourite colour for cars, blue!!!😉

Chris

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Seriously nice stuff, Chris.

Looking forward to progress.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind.  Getting there on the Tiggie nearly, better start the Swordfish proper too.

Thanks

Chris 

• Like 2

Totally fantastic work! The rigging has really bought this lovely moth to life. I do love the scheme, makes me wonder why I didn’t choose it when I did mine. 🤔 nice progress on the Venom too. Oh those wells bring back memories. 🫣

lovely stuff.

Johnny. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Totally fantastic work! The rigging has really bought this lovely moth to life. I do love the scheme, makes me wonder why I didn’t choose it when I did mine. 🤔 nice progress on the Venom too. Oh those wells bring back memories. 🫣

lovely stuff.

Johnny. 

Thanks Johnny, very kind of you.  You could do another one in this scheme:wicked::whistle:

i was also revisiting your thread the other day and looking at hhe undercarriage, really enjoyed your build .  I have added some greeblies underneath now on the Sea Venom. I must add the catapult hooks in front of the booms and poss plate over the rocket rail mounts too.

Thanks

Chris 

• Like 3

That TM is looking just delicious.  The one I’m planning was used as a casualty transport in Burma which will need a little bit of scratch building but otherwise if it comes out half as nicely as yours is shaping up Chris, I’ll be stoked.

I didn’t notice when you changed the title to include the Swordfish but I like it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mark.au said:

That TM is looking just delicious.  The one I’m planning was used as a casualty transport in Burma which will need a little bit of scratch building but otherwise if it comes out half as nicely as yours is shaping up Chris, I’ll be stoked.

I didn’t notice when you changed the title to include the Swordfish but I like it :)

Thanks Mark very kind, I am pleased with the Tiggie, I added the fulel cock rodding and fuel line last night, so I can add the final bots underneath later.  

I know the one you mean with the stretcher behind the pilot. There was a build on Large Scale Planes of that very machine using the lovely Matchbox 32nd kit which might be worth a look for references.  Really looking forward to watching you build that one.  

When I get started on the Swordfish proper I will change the title again!!!.

Thanks 

Mark

• Like 1

Hi all

I thought this was nice, I have been working on the Tiggie and went out in the garden yesterday morning  for a leg stretch and found this flying around, it's  a Tiger Moth I think. Was lovely 

spacer.png

Back to work though

Aileron control cables, turnbuckles are from stretched cotton bud tubes

spacer.png

Bob's Buckles eyelets are used as upper elevator cable guides 

spacer.png

PE Aileron actuators soldered to .45mm brass rod, so they're not just flat

spacer.png

And with the prop and cabin doors on she is finally finished

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will get some RFI photos done soon, busy playing on the car tomorrow and out at a car show Sunday. 

Have a great weekend and thanks for looking in, I had better get that Swordfish started now.

Chris

• Like 19

Lovely build Chris, congratulations on finishing such a great model. All that rigging and actuator detail looks really nice. Have a nice time this weekend, looking forward to the RFI.

Cheers,

Andy

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Beautiful! Don’t often use that word for a warplane, but I think it’s appropriate in this case.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, they are a beautiful aircraft,  I have a few more in the stash to do too .  I would really love it if Airfix would fo a 1/24 scale kit, come on Airfix. Please!

16 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely build Chris, congratulations on finishing such a great model. All that rigging and actuator detail looks really nice. Have a nice time this weekend, looking forward to the RFI.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, pleased with how it looks, care worn , had some fun getting all those cables in , but worth it as really brings it to life.

Looking forward to some time in the garage tomorrow. 

Thanks guys

Chris

Chris,

Stunning work Chris - those final details have made this a masterclass in Tiggery (and struttery!). Great finish mate, looking forward to the Stringbag,

Cheers,

Roger

(Nice moth pic too 😉 - very timely!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Stunning work Chris - those final details have made this a masterclass in Tiggery (and struttery!). Great finish mate, looking forward to the Stringbag,

Cheers,

Roger

(Nice moth pic too 😉 - very timely!)

Thanks Roger, really kind of you, I like that Tiggery and Struttery😄, lots more struttery coming up with the Stringbag and Shagbat too.

The Tigermoth in the garden is very timely, I have looked it up and it looks like a Jersey Tigermoth,  looks lovely. 

7 hours ago, mark.au said:

Great job on the Tigermoth Chris, you’ve really brought it to life - it doesn’t look like a model, it looks like a working machine.

Thank you too Mark,  a very kind compliment,  very pleased with how it has turned out.  I hope I can do it justice in terms of photography,  I have just relined my photo box in black card so hopefully will photograph quite well. 

Thank you both

Chris

• Like 1