The Delfin got her torpedoes painted and fitted today. Having looked at the pictures of the submarine until I was sick of the sight of them, it would appear that the boat underwent many changes during her lifetime and it would seem that wire and rigid rails could be correct. In the end I plumped for rigid railings for no better reason than I liked them better. She is very shiny at the moment as I have a couple of decals to add before she can get her final coat of matte varnish and I can call her done.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

030.jpg

031.jpg

• Like 15

Very nice indeed I thought the torpedoes would have been bigger the sub itself must have been some size interesting to see these first off designs.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice indeed I thought the torpedoes would have been bigger the sub itself must have been some size interesting to see these first off designs.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks Beefy. The sub is pretty much the same size as the Holland.

Martian 👽

Gidday Martian, no reloads? You'd want to be sure of your shot. 🙂

15 hours ago, Martian said:

In the end I plumped for rigid railings for no better reason than I liked them better.

I can't think of a better reason myself. She looks very good, and since you're so close to completion no doubt you have your next project ready to start. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff. The railings look much thicker in the pictures than they do in real life, I suspect it is a result of having to use flash. My next project? Well, I have the Canberras I want to get back to and then there is that Caudron Simoun I started. I am currently painting some of the spacecraft I have been building. When I have got this painting session out of the way and my room reconfigured for building again, I fancy another helicopter, most likely a 1/48 Bell 47J Ranger of the Cillian Navy and there is a barking mad ekranoplan kit that looks as if it was drawn on the back of a fag packet by one of @general melchett's Russian relatives when he had partaken of too much anti-freeze/vodka or whatever goes into that filthy brew that Baldrick serves up everytime I visit Melchett Towers..

Aside from the ongoing Hunley build, my next naval build will most likely be the old Airfix German S-boat kit. I built when it first came out in 1975 and loved the kit and am very much looking forward to revisiting it faults and all. I have a few rather interesting ideas for the kit.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

or whatever goes into that filthy brew that Baldrick serves up everytime I visit Melchett Towers..

Filthy brew!....you didn't complain after the eighth pint and a few packets of cheesy wotsits had found a new home.....I'll have you know that that particular 'Nectar of the E-Gods' was brewed by hand and strained through, one of Baldrick's favoured gout stockings, that he wore, with pride and not a little distinktion (not a typo), throughout the 1914-18 lot. Equal amounts of sweat, anxiety, turnip extract and other unmentionables made their way into that rejuvenating embrocation, he loosely terms a 'henergy drink'. He'd be most put out to think you'd pooh-poohed his magnum opus....but that's another matter that we won't go into here.

Lovely job on the Delfin, Jules Verne would be proud.

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Filthy brew!....you didn't complain after the eighth pint and a few packets of cheesy wotsits had found a new home.....I'll have you know that that particular 'Nectar of the E-Gods' was brewed by hand and strained through, one of Baldrick's favoured gout stockings, that he wore, with pride and not a little distinktion (not a typo), throughout the 1914-18 lot. Equal amounts of sweat, anxiety, turnip extract and other unmentionables made their way into that rejuvenating embrocation, he loosely terms a 'henergy drink'. He'd be most put out to think you'd pooh-poohed his magnum opus....but that's another matter that we won't go into here.

Lovely job on the Delfin, Jules Verne would be proud.

Thanks General but as for the recipe for Baldrick's brew, allI can say is:  🤮

Queasy of Mars 👽 

• Sad 1

Another boat was launched from the Martian Submarine Works today with the completion of the Delfin, complete with seagull for delectation and delight of the Member for Cornwall. I may do some wore pictures outside in natural daylight as flash still seems to make the railings look thicker than they really are. While I was flicking through my books on early submarines, I noticed that there were at least a couple of Russian subs that were based on the same hull but at the same time looked significantly different. :hmmm:It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where this is likely to end up does it?

Anyway, enough waffle and time for some pictures methinks. Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

032.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cracking job though I would have thought the little mascot would have preferred to be on top of the periscope. :hmmm:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking job though I would have thought the little mascot would have preferred to be on top of the periscope. :hmmm:

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks Beefy but I'm not having him do his business all over my nice new model. :poop:There are limits you know.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, nice seagull. 👍

The sub's not bad either. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. Word is that Kev is in the process of a last minute change of address in order to avoid delivery of a packet of seagulls. Fortunately, my second cousin Ming the Merciless of Venus, nice chap really, has some sort of gizmo that can look in on anything you Earthlings get up to so moving won't help him one bit. :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...
On 18/02/2021 at 04:18, Martian said:

What Mikro-Mir do not give the modeller is a frame to protect the lower rudder. I could not convince myself that such an obvious feature would have been overlooked on the real vessel. If you are worried about the possibility of grounding, why would you not protect the lower rudder? Unable to get clear reference on this point, on went a lower frame and there it stays! 

Martian 👽

A wonderful model!

I also wondered why there is no protection detail from below. I didn't find any photos of such protection. Probably Mikro-Mir relied on these photos. It is not known whether there was actually protection.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1