A journey of optimism. Or utter foolishness.

Bomb bay installed but intrigued by Airfix’s choice of colour.  The instructions suggest ‘56’ aluminium, but of course that includes all of the external parts of the very complex set of bomb bay doors, which is obviously incorrect.  

50951115156_845ba9dfca_b.jpg

Equally, having everything aluminium would reflect light quite nicely in the hands of a searchlight.  

Fortunately, a bit of Googling has produced this from this website: https://pacificeagles.net/vickers-wellington/

50950435463_1502969708_z.jpg

which shows the well worn black innards of a Wellington bomb bay.

• Like 2

Plan this evening was to try and start getting some colour down on the Welly and the Harrow. Started ok, but then the airbrush started playing up 😕

Unfortunately, as I haven’t used the brush in a couple of weeks, decided that a full clean was probably in order!  That took a while, then the carpet monster decided to swallow the return spring.  By then it was late and after a 5 AM start, I decided it was time for bed.  Still at least I got to check a few of the seams on the Welly

50955336851_9334733566_b.jpg

Hopefully better luck tonight!!

• Like 3

Just peering in. It’s been a while so this was a lovely catch up on these three wonders. Looks like you’re in for some fun on the HP O-400

Here’s my one if you’re interested. There’s a link to the WIP in there too which may be of some help as I think I managed to hit every pitfall. 😱

Loving that you’re doing. Three at once is always going to be a challenge.

All the best. 

Johnny.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just peering in. It’s been a while so this was a lovely catch up on these three wonders. Looks like you’re in for some fun on the HP O-400

Here’s my one if you’re interested. There’s a link to the WIP in there too which may be of some help as I think I managed to hit every pitfall. 😱

Loving that you’re doing. Three at once is always going to be a challenge.

All the best. 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny. I think I’m a bit behind the drag curve with these at the moment, but at least I’ve sorted the airbrush issues - almost 🤦🏻

50956346538_6c9e9043cb_b.jpg

But that aside, at least I got some colour on this evening.

50956365983_3d6c7b9238_b.jpg

Thanks for the link to your 0/400 build, some useful tips in there.

• Like 2

Just caught up with this build and I have to say you have taken on a mighty work load with very different kits. There is some good old head scratching and problem conquering going on and it is good to see you getting top side of it all, the Harrow and Wimpy coming on nicely.

I thought I was mad when I decided to build 3 Sea Kings together, one and half years later and I am still at it but the finish line is in sight, you have have my admiration for taking on 4 at once. 👍

keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite my initial optimism, work commitments have taken their toll and I’m off on the road for the rest of this week, sometimes I wish our hobby was more portable! 

At least 2 of my 4 are starting to look as though they are getting close and I’ve started a bit of work on no. 3, but I’m also supposed to have started the Africa GB.  I feel over commitment coming on!! 

Anyway, progress on the Wellington and Harrow. Engines on, undersides sprayed and now starting on the upper surfaces with a little pre-shading, ready for the camouflage.  Just trying to decide whether to mask up all the canopies and add them ahead of the camouflage, or to add them, pre-painted, later.

Interwar and WWII aircraft glazing - another of the reasons I prefer modern aircraft.

50995018328_c015ffc5a9_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK. Looks like my journey was utter foolishness. Work commitments, a forthcoming job change and the fact I’m off to the Middle East for six months, means I’m unlikely to get these finished to my original plan. The good news is I should have some spare time when I get back at the end of the year!!

still, just to keep things ticking along whilst I can, there has been some progress:

51129870330_d17a8ab7a3_b.jpg

I’m quite pleased with how these are starting to look now. Only hope I can keep them that way whilst I finish all the trick, boring, fiddly glazing bits!! 😄

51129889930_9270de9ff9_b.jpg

51128812777_51959362e3_b.jpg

Yes there was a stray bit of masking tape just in front of the fin 🤦🏻

51129889890_02cbd34011_b.jpg

• Like 2

At least when you next get the chance, what you've done is far enough along to inspire you to finish them off rather than long-term-store on the Shelf of Doom.

Paul.

• Like 1

Lovely work.

Most of what I build is small and will fit in a Tupperware container and I can assemble a basic tool kit in same. I recently had to spend two weeks in hospital and so I built a few Airfix 1/72 tanks and worked  on my Sopwith snark while away :) 

• Like 1