Italeri's 48th scale "ADV Fighter"

Col.

5 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Perhaps they’re looking for the rest of their Tornado.....

AW

Well the wings and rear fuselage are currently sitting on the bench to the right of their fuselage section right enough.

Not so much on a flyer as a series of short hops as always but here's some more progress.

Cut the missile fin slots for the Sparrow mounts and removed the erroneously placed teardrop-shaped plate to replace it with a correctly placed copy from thin plasticard and both were then drilled out to represent the vent holes.

2020-10-30_10-40-09

Slotted the forward fuselage as well and opened up the gap that exists in the front undercarriage doors,

2020-10-30_10-40-56

Also made a representation of the wing sweep seals that got a lot more complicated than it should have for the required result but it's done now and the main fuselage halves closed,

2020-10-30_10-42-11

Only got some nasty steps to deal with now <_<

There's also a major fit issue between the front and main fuselage sections so I've added a couple extra tabs to help resolve that

2020-10-30_10-41-30

• Like 5

Looks good - am following along and taking up the top tips!

Can I ask what colour you have done the wing area that are covered ? DSG?

What jet are you doing - camo grey and Light grey or the later MSG?

can I also ask how you’ve done the wing sweep seals? I was looking at using some thin foam - did you cut out to a box shape or leave the v shape?

are your sparrow missiles OOB? I’m using the boxed ones, think they’re meant to be sky flash? Mine don’t have the upper fins?

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 6:48 AM, exdraken said:

Small hops that  will result in big distance covered!

I am a big concerned by the fuselage joint.....

Hope this  will not pose too many problems!

Thank Werner. That joint took some work to tame but with hindsight I should have added a couple more tabs to the main fuselage sides and tamed a lot of distortion there.

17 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Looks good - am following along and taking up the top tips!

Can I ask what colour you have done the wing area that are covered ? DSG?

What jet are you doing - camo grey and Light grey or the later MSG?

can I also ask how you’ve done the wing sweep seals? I was looking at using some thin foam - did you cut out to a box shape or leave the v shape?

are your sparrow missiles OOB? I’m using the boxed ones, think they’re meant to be sky flash? Mine don’t have the upper fins?

My top tip is get the Revell kit Tim! Sorry, only joking, you'll do fine with this one fella.

Went with Humbrol Hu-66 as a dark basis for plenty weathering with mid greys later. My choice is F.2T ZD935 from the ETPS during 1988 so the early two tone grey scheme.

For the wing sweep seals I cut away the area to back with plasticard then created the seals as inserts from thick plastic to build it up toped with thinner parts to finish. This allowed me to let the hot nature of the glue (Revell Contacta) distort the thin sheet and add a measure of animation to the seals. With hindsight a bit overly-complicated perhaps but happy enough with the results.

Going with a clean configuration as that's what I'm seeing in every photo of the F.2s I can find and the long-term plan is to place her in the display cabinet along-side a Lightning F.6 as that was the type a lot of dissimilar air combat testing was performed in conjunction with. So one ACMI pod on an inner 'winder pylon only.

At least with the Sky Flash/Sparrow missiles being semi-recessed the lack of upper fins shouldn't be an issue. Are you going fully tooled-up on your one?

13 hours ago, At Sea said:

Nicely done so far.

The one piece underside of the Revell kit does at least stop the collapsing fuselage issue. 

Made the mistake of inspecting the vastly superior Revell kit yesterday and almost put this one away. It's clearly two kits from different eras but here we are now so lets keep going.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's where we are with this one after last night.

Got the two main fuselage sections together after a bit of a flight. With hindsight a few more tabs would have helped align the parts but here we are now,

2020-11-01_08-47-28

2020-11-01_08-48-07

Not perfect but close enough. There's work needed in the area of the joint so that needs to cure up firmly before that goes ahead. Also made the mistake of having a proper look at the Revell kit yesterday and it made me realise the Italeri one is distinctly lower quality. Sod it, come too far, let's get this one done!

Some more butchery was committed to the back end last night. Tail fin was cut to make room for the Paragon resin correction part then the razor saw was waved at the exhaust section again to correct my own earlier mistake but hopefully the subsequent work will explain what needs to happen there to make a better representation of the F.2,

2020-11-01_08-49-26
  • Like 3

Seems you tamed it! :)

don't be sorry regarding the 30? years younger Revell kit...  it is way more complicated as well!

if you want tot improve the Italeri, take SAC Landung gears for either the HB or Revell one... ( oft course easier with respective Aires wheel wells then?

the Italeri F3 at least has decent small fuel tanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, exdraken said:

...if you want tot improve the Italeri, take SAC Landung gears for either the HB or Revell one... ( oft course easier with respective Aires wheel wells then?

I'm cheating with a super-easy wheels-up, doors-closed, in-flight type model here :D 

Looking good - have you fixed your wing sweep or do they move?

I think I got fed up last time and fixed it....

I am still toying with various airframes and colours ....

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, Tim Moff said:

Looking good - have you fixed your wing sweep or do they move?

I think I got fed up last time and fixed it....

I am still toying with various airframes and colours ....

If truth be told I'm loosing the love for this one due to poor fit of some parts but that's partly coming from my own ham-fisted manipulation of the parts.

Going to fix the wings in place after the main painting stage as I think that'll help when masking off the dark grey wing sweep area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has slowed in line with diminishing enthusiasm for this one but made some effort this morning.

2020-11-15_10-44-44

2020-11-15_10-45-17

The pervious layer of filler crumbled off during sanding so have laid this layer down on a bed of glue to see if that will give it more purchase on the plastic. Sadly nowhere local stocks any replacement filler so the next move may be an internet purchase. In the meantime I'll work on the intakes and cockpit.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Impressive work there Col 👍

Thank you Dermot

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

That is a lot of filler around that back end.

Aye the fit is not great and I'm questioning how accurate the shape is in that area now.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, exdraken said:

Great progres!

Fin filler part  looks perfect!

The rear and can't be too far away either, no?!

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

All your hard work on getting the bits to fit is definitely paying off Col.  Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for the encouraging comments gentlemen but sadly that filler has started to flake off during the final smoothing down. The offending tube is now binned and the model set aside while I sulk and wait for fresh supplies to arrive :( 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Wich filler did you use?

Did you prepare the surface?

Some slight sanding might help to make it bond.

I use "perfect plastic putty " lately.. but as little as absolutely necessary....

An old tube of Italeri brand filler that, in hindsight, was probably well beyond its usable life :( 

On 11/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, Colin W said:

Don't let a tube of dodgy filler stop you now. Overall shes looking good so keep going. You still have a couple of weeks.

Colin

Thank you Colin but the filler I bought last week still hasn't arrived and this one is rapidly loosing momentum :(