Italeri's 48th scale "ADV Fighter"

Col.

Right gang, time to raise a flag and show my colours, time has not been my own lately but hopefully starting a thread here will encourage me to get back to modelling.

Pulled both my examples of this kit from the stash for the purpose of adding at least one Tornado to the display cabinet,

2020-09-19_01-19-48

Both kits have been started by their previous owners but well under the 25% margin (although I'm grateful for any help I can get) in each case so here's the one I'll start with,

2020-09-19_01-21-05

...and there's a selection of aftermarket goodies that would please @trickyrich between them,

2020-09-19_01-24-01

There is a pair of PJ Productions RAF pilots to add in the mix but the postie hasn't brought them around yet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Two kits!?!", I hear you cry, "What on earth is he going to do with TWO kits?" Well the master plan is to eventually do one as an F.2 and the other as an F.3 for no other reason than why not. One in flight to show the clean lines of this type and the other on the deck with everything open for comparison. Granted the conversion to the early F.2 which used the IDS variant RB199 engines would be easier with some spare bits for that kit and displaying one with everything opened out down and dirty would be easier with the newer Revell kit but I don't have either of those in the stash so let's run with what we have.

In order to properly display one in-flight the undercarriage doors need to be closed up. This proved easy enough for the front undercarriage by simply removing the mounting tabs for the pair of forward doors and rotating the rear door to employ its mounting tabs to assist in supporting the other two,

2020-09-26_11-54-32

Note how the black paint applied by the previous owner shows where the doors still sit a little above the fuselage part. I'll not do any more work on this area until the forward fuselage is together as there may be a greater amount of filling and sanding required thus making for a duplication of effort.

Sadly the main undercarriage doors are not such a nice fit when closed,

2020-09-26_11-55-12

2020-09-26_11-54-56

Plenty mounting tabs helped get everything fairly flush,

2020-09-26_11-48-44

but those gaps will need attention.

The rear fuselage section had also been assembled but the seams there were a cause for concern,

2020-09-26_11-56-46

My tube of filler has died of boredom so need to get some more before I go much further with this project but I'm tempted to cut this part down the F.2 spec. since it requires plenty attention anyway.

25 minutes ago, Pappy said:

...Quite the selection of goodies, this should be interesting to watch...

Cheers fella. Hopefully not because I'm about to make a complete mess of it :lol:

One last update before I leave you all in peace for the moment. here's my main inspiration for this project...

2020-09-26_12-03-02

...there's a few more references in the library I need to dig out but this one is as good a start as any in my opinion.

• Like 1

Mail call! These arrived through the letter box earlier :) 

2020-09-26_01-33-40

Only a little cleaning up required and perhaps some adjustment to the pose but plenty detail in the castings

2020-09-26_01-35-36

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Mail call! These arrived through the letter box earlier :) 

2020-09-26_01-33-40

Only a little cleaning up required and perhaps some adjustment to the pose but plenty detail in the castings

2020-09-26_01-35-36

G'day Col,

Are both figures in the same pose? 

Pappy

p.s Sorry, I just rread the product number on the second pack and realised that they are. I am looking forward to seeing the new , re-posed results!

Edited by Pappy

I was thinking of doing something similar so keen to see how you go about it. I have used Hasegawa figures in the past  'coz I had them in the gash box so cheap and no biggie if I ended up trashing them. I modified the bone domes to look more RAF-ish and added putty LPY's and a couple of map pockets to the speed jeans but otherwise used the rest of the figures as is. Presently with COVID19 restrictions, to attempt tbis for me would be difficult as o/seas deliveries are slwer and more expensive and I would not want to risk it hence my interest in your efforts,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Nice project!

I fancy doing an in flight Tornado myself one day...maybe one of the many German or Italian full color specials...

When I did my last Tornado F3, I notice an enoumous difference between the Italeri's an Airfix's nose cone length. Do you know which kit is more correct in this respect?

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, Pappy said:

I was thinking of doing something similar so keen to see how you go about it. I have used Hasegawa figures in the past  'coz I had them in the gash box so cheap and no biggie if I ended up trashing them. I modified the bone domes to look more RAF-ish and added putty LPY's and a couple of map pockets to the speed jeans but otherwise used the rest of the figures as is. Presently with COVID19 restrictions, to attempt tbis for me would be difficult as o/seas deliveries are slwer and more expensive and I would not want to risk it hence my interest in your efforts,

cheers,

Pappy

Interesting you mention that as there was a pair of Hasegawa pilots in one box and I did consider doing the same as you but the PJ figures looked so well done I couldn't resist taking the easy option.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:59 AM, exdraken said:

Nice project!

I fancy doing an in flight Tornado myself one day...maybe one of the many German or Italian full color specials...

When I did my last Tornado F3, I notice an enoumous difference between the Italeri's an Airfix's nose cone length. Do you know which kit is more correct in this respect?

That's not an issue I've seen mentioned before but perhaps the age of both kits means they escaped the attentions of the internet reviewers in a way the more recent Hobbyboss and Revell kits didn't.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, trickyrich said:

and yes this gets the trickyrich seal of approval!!!   :penguin:

:thumbsup:

Cheers fella

On 9/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, Jabba said:

NIce choice for this GB, pity about the main U/C bay doors, but you appear to have them covered.

It is an on-going battle but the gaps are getting smaller :D 

Progress at last!

Messing around within the cockpit area has got me thus far,

2020-10-04_06-56-24

Added some extra detail to the headbox of both seats, as that's the only section which will be clearly visible with the canopy closed, then made a start to fitting the figures with pose adjusted to suit.

The rear fuselage has also progressed a little as well,

2020-10-01_09-13-01

Blocked off the under-fuselage vents and fitted the mounting for for the tailplanes on its own. This will get drilled out to accept some rods to allow fitting the tailplanes much later after the seams are dealt with.

• Like 2

G'day Col,

Did you add the 0arachute riser straps to the front of the headbox as part of your extra detailing?

These  are typically velcroed on so they should be visible behind the aircrew's heads, the remaining section of the parachute risers is depicted on the resin aircrew figures so that saves you the bother. I think a couple of strips of tape or lead sheet on  each seat would suffice and be pretty simple to accomplish

cheers

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Thanks 1

Good morning @Pappy

Ah. Oops. If truth be told I didn't realise those two straps stayed in place while the aircraft was in flight :blush: That's for pointing that out. Really should have spent more time checking reference photos. Although I've found some new ones that show more work could be done to the parachute pack so I've got unfinished business up there :) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Good morning @Pappy

Ah. Oops. If truth be told I didn't realise those two straps stayed in place while the aircraft was in flight :blush: That's for pointing that out. Really should have spent more time checking reference photos. Although I've found some new ones that show more work could be done to the parachute pack so I've got unfinished business up there :) 

Evening Col,

You could probably have left them off except that they are usually a contrasting colour to the black headpad so tend to srick out visually. Still, a few strips of tape cut with a new blade should be easy enough to accomplish,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

Evening Col,

You could probably have left them off except that they are usually a contrasting colour to the black headpad so tend to srick out visually. Still, a few strips of tape cut with a new blade should be easy enough to accomplish,

cheers,

Pappy

Got in there with some 5thou plasticard so will show the results once they're painted :) 

On 9/27/2020 at 6:59 AM, exdraken said:

Nice project!

Indeed nice looking project! Didn't knew the differences between F.2 and 3 marks. I thought it was only weapon capability related, but hey, you learn everyday 😉

I was toying with that idea too @exdraken, when I saw pictures of that Piacenza 'Black Panther', banking fully swept, burners at full, I'd knew that was something I would, or at least try to replicate. That silver over black paint with that amazing artwork is awesome! I bought an Italeri 72nd tornado for the decals only 😊

• Thanks 1

Not quite a direct comparison to the previous photo but hopefully close enough,

2020-10-17_03-48-10

2020-10-17_03-49-23

A little more work to do and then get the forward fuselage parts assembled.

• Like 5

On 10/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, exdraken said:

They look great and rather concentrated... is there a Bear to their starboard side??

Thank you Werner and yes there's certainly something interesting taking their attention over there. Had I thought further on the subject the back-seater could have been suitably equipped with a camera :doh: but my initial idea is to have a Lightning F.6 posed at a suitable distance away across the display cabinet some day :) 

Either way here's a quick photo to show the cockpit installed and the forward fuselage closed with filler in various spots,

2020-10-23_07-29-57

• Like 3