The Century Fighters GB Chat

Dansk

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Another group build that I was so glad to see get up. Well done Paul @Dansk.

I have the 1/48 Revell F-105G "Wild Weasel" in the stash. Could be a great "go to town" project with the longer GB format. Very tempted to build this kit to polish up on my scribing skills and the old kit is still pretty good raw material to work with and resonably accurate anyway. We've seen some beautiful builds of this kit. I think it will get to see the work bench come June. Biggest challenge is 🤔 where is it in the stash? Scary to think that a 2022 build of this kit is 40 years after the original Monogram release. Anyway, plenty of time to make a decision and when it comes to the Century series, I like them all.  Now, what AM can I still get for this Mongram/Revell release? After all, I paid hardly anything for the kit.

Ray 

Now this will definitely be one to watch.

The old Monogram F-105G is still a great kit and certainly had Monogram's "A team" involved in it, a nicely detailed cockpit and undercarriage. The Revell release comes with a very nice decal sheet too.

@Dansk, now I’ve just picked up that the GB dates in the title thread are a humorous play on numbers… however for those like me who were initially confused, the start and finish dates for this GB are 04 June to 25 September 2022. That’s just over a century worth of modelling days! 
Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The Revell release comes with a very nice decal sheet too.

I'll need to check their condition. Hopefully OK. Great if I can use the box decals.

• Like 1

If I can source a Canadian CF-101 in time (scale?), I think I’ll try to join this GB if I get the chance. 
Any thoughts (Good / Bad / otherwise) on the Monogram / Revell 1/48 kit? 
Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Hello chaps

Great to see this one through the poll. 

Now it’s what to build. I have 4 or 5 Hasegawa 104’s and the Eduard reboxes of said kit in 1/48 and a ton of after market decals in the stash. There’s also a nagging urge to build an F-100 in bright markings. Anyway we’ve all got long enough to make our minds up and then change them again and then probably end up back where we started in the first place. 

Cheers 

James

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If I can source a Canadian CF-101 in time (scale?), I think I’ll try to join this GB if I get the chance. 
Any thoughts (Good / Bad / otherwise) on the Monogram / Revell 1/48 kit? 
Cheers.. Dave. 

Hi Dave, good to have you on board.

The Monogram F-101 is a kit of it's age  with raised panel lines but has very good detail in the cockpit and I believe it is a fairly straight forward build fitting better than some of it's century series stablemates.

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Hello chaps

Great to see this one through the poll. 

Now it’s what to build. I have 4 or 5 Hasegawa 104’s and the Eduard reboxes of said kit in 1/48 and a ton of after market decals in the stash. There’s also a nagging urge to build an F-100 in bright markings. Anyway we’ve all got long enough to make our minds up and then change them again and then probably end up back where we started in the first place. 

Cheers 

James

Some good choices there James, I have a feeling the F-104 is going to be a popular choice, and rightly so.

The Hun is always a popular choice too and one that I am considering myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad this GB is slated for middle of the year. My choices, now with bonus issues!

1) TrumpyBoss 1/72 F-105D - need a replacement decal sheet/set of insignia, the blue used by Trumpeter looks well off on the sheet. Plus some AM is needed... 

2) Hasegawa 1/48 F-104S 82nd Anniversary - bought the kit cheap but not for the markings :banghead:. Looks like all the parts for a "G" are in there according to HERE, so would like a Luftwaffe/Marineflieger bird, but need the decals. Hannants has a pricey set (with stencils, Xtradecal only seems to offer the "major" markings IE roundels and numbers, but the smaller stencils are lacking, particularly annoying with the Ejection Seat yellow warning arrow thingy being so prominent yet not included. I hope someone here can confirm or deny this?). Sigh. 

3) Revell 1/72 F-101B - very minor issue here, still need to buy the damn thing from my mate! 

If I finish the above choice, I will definitely be pulling my Trumpy 1/72 F-107 out and working on that. But can't remember how much I built one night being bored. Think it's under the 25% mark. 

• Like 2

• Dansk changed the title to 2022 - The Century Fighters GB (104th June - 125th September)
4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Dansk, now I’ve just picked up that the GB dates in the title thread are a humorous play on numbers… however for those like me who were initially confused, the start and finish dates for this GB are 04 June to 25 September 2022. That’s just over a century worth of modelling days! 
Cheers.. Dave. 

Cheers Dave, now fixed 👍

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

2) Hasegawa 1/48 F-104S 82nd Anniversary - bought the kit cheap but not for the markings :banghead:. Looks like all the parts for a "G" are in there according to HERE, so would like a Luftwaffe/Marineflieger bird, but need the decals. Hannants has a pricey set (with stencils, Xtradecal only seems to offer the "major" markings IE roundels and numbers, but the smaller stencils are lacking, particularly annoying with the Ejection Seat yellow warning arrow thingy being so prominent yet not included. I hope someone here can confirm or deny this?). Sigh. 

I have a ton of 1/48 f-104 decals in the stash, i need to look through them so i can offer them out in this gb, and see what stencils etc are in there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I have a ton of 1/48 f-104 decals in the stash, i need to look through them so i can offer them out in this gb, and see what stencils etc are in there.

Sadly postage to my neck of the woods isn't something to rely on, or even attempt to use unless a courier company/physically bringing it in hand luggage is involved. Have a UK connection where I get stuff from Hannants so will move those items from my Wishlist to Purchase sometime next year about April. Gives me plenty of time to search locally. 

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

would like a Luftwaffe/Marineflieger bird

That would be an excellent choice, they look great, especially with faded dayglo tanks on the wingtips.

If you want good accurate Marineflieger decals then you need to take a look at either Daco or Hahen decals, much better then the Xtradecals ones.

Just looking at the 2022 GB dates and you could actually build quite a few subjects that cross over with up to three different GB’s.. Now how does a Monogram Century Series F-101 or F-104 in Canadian markings sound? The hard part is deciding which GB to enter! I’m sure there’s more than just these examples but you know what I’m getting at. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just looking at the 2022 GB dates and you could actually build quite a few subjects that cross over with up to three different GB’s.. Now how does a Monogram Century Series F-101 or F-104 in Canadian markings sound? The hard part is deciding which GB to enter! I’m sure there’s more than just these examples but you know what I’m getting at. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Oh god no. This sounds like we need to start a new pro-century marketing campaign @modelling minion

Oh no I hope the wallet is handy. 

• Haha 3