***Finished Hasegawa Voodoo***

PhantomBigStu

Welcome to this GB Stu, I don't suppose you'll be doing this Swordfish kit wheels up like all your other builds!! 

She'll be a good one to watch and I applaud the rigging challenge you've set yourself, something chicken modellers like myself are still too frightened to tackle. Good luck and we hope you have fun. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Should say there's no bravery involved in this, been eyeing up the airfix kit for a while, and this ended up as a late night bid, there are plenty of other frog kits higher on my list for this GB. Still look forwards to giving it a go even if I have no idea how to rig it, 

I used stretched sprue on mine - fragile and you can't dust the ruddy thing but looks good. Unlike me, keep it in a case/box/under a dust sheet!

Pete

Sounds to complicated for me, got invisible thread that perhaps is suitable, but that will have to wait, looks like I’ve got to chase this purchase up with the seller, if it doesn’t turn up will just have to find another frog to build and buy the Revell/MB swordfish sitting in my local shop.....

Good luck with your build Stu, the rigging is not as frightening once you start, just take your time. I find with invisible thread just start in the lower wing with a hole that doesn't go right through and then drill the corresponding holes right through the top wing and when you pull it through and glue it you end up with a very strong set of wings. All you then have to do is tidy up the top wing and ta da jobs a good'un.

Hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs

Now that’s a lesson in itself Chris and one thread that would be good to follow. Now what time did you say the first session starts?  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just noticed on the Cocardes site that the first Frog boxing showed the Stringbag attacking some sort of destroyer, but that when they released the second boxing (which Novo copied) they changed it to a freighter. I wonder why?

Edited by PeterB

Interesting painting approach!

Hope you have a lot of fun!

JR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, PeterB said:

I just noticed on the Cocardes site that the first Frog boxing showed the Stringbag attacking some sort of destroyer, but that when they released the second boxing (which Novo copied) they changed it to a freighter. I wonder why?

Judging by the box art, this was one of the unique Swordfish that carried 2 torpedos 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Actually had this ready for rigging for a while, but not yet dared make an attempt 

I’d like to provide some encouragement there Stu, however I’m afraid I belong in the ‘too scared to rig’ camp as well! I suppose like most things, the first time is always to hardest. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Go for it Stu, the rigging for the Swordfish isn't too bad. I remember feeling the same when I wanted to rig a 72nd SE5a  but after the first line goes into place you will be feeling great and you will soon have it completed. Just do small stints, a bit at a time.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Cheers guys, despite the fact I can barely tie my own shoelaces all the encouragement has made me determined to have a go with some fishing’s line over the weekend having found a good guide, just got to order it on amazon, sadly though it’s an add on item so I’ve got to decide what kit to buy with it :)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

sadly though it’s an add on item so I’ve got to decide what kit to buy with it :)

I hate it when that happens. It seems to happen a lot, too.

Chris

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well as it happened the kit I had intended to buy then went out of stock, and instead of buying something else I then went a brought a much more expense kit from my local shop, and did not order the fishing line, not least as Im not sure how it s different from the invisible thread I've got already, and even if it is might as well give the thread a go first, though I'm still to actually dare it

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well this met a sad end, having accepted I’m too chicken and lazy  to try rigging it I decided to just assemble it and finish it without, however I couldn’t not get the wings attached and the struts kept snapping so my infamous temper took over, however I do have that voodoo so perhaps I can squeeze that in here

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Well this met a sad end, having accepted I’m too chicken and lazy  to try rigging it I decided to just assemble it and finish it without, however I couldn’t not get the wings attached and the struts kept snapping so my infamous temper took over, however I do have that voodoo so perhaps I can squeeze that in here

Hi Stu,

being known in our area for my infamous temper as well, I do sympathize with the violent end your Swordfish met.

I have never hurt a kit myself... it merely goes to the spares' box.

Keep trying, because biplanes are real fun to build!

Cheers

JR

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Mine met the same fate Stu!

• Sad 3