Tailsitter for take off

marky sparky

That's why the FG1 Phantom had the extendable nosewheel leg. It produced a high angle of attack which allows greater lift initially. Eminently sensible. You'd wonder why the Americans never copied it.

6 minutes ago, noelh said:

That's why the FG1 Phantom had the extendable nosewheel leg. It produced a high angle of attack which allows greater lift initially. Eminently sensible. You'd wonder why the Americans never copied it.

It wasn't needed. Even the Essex class ships were bigger than Ark Royal and Eagle.

12 hours ago, Procopius said:
12 hours ago, Procopius said:

It wasn't needed. Even the Essex class ships were bigger than Ark Royal and Eagle.

Bare in mind that I'm just a simple "pongo" and don't know much about floaty things on the water, but why would the size of the carrier have anything to do with it? Would not the length of the catapult be similar?

John. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, noelh said:

Actually, US Navy Phantoms do have an extendable nosewheel leg, it just wasn't the double length type as used on Royal Navy Phantoms. It seemed to be the F-4Bs that it was used the most on and, even then, it wasn't used all the time. I don't know that I've seen an F-4J using it, maybe the engines developed more thrust by that time and it wasn't necessary.

1 hour ago, silverkite211 said:

Actually, US Navy Phantoms do have an extendable nosewheel leg, it just wasn't the double length type as used on Royal Navy Phantoms. It seemed to be the F-4Bs that it was used the most on and, even then, it wasn't used all the time. I don't know that I've seen an F-4J using it, maybe the engines developed more thrust by that time and it wasn't necessary.

The F-4J also needed the extendable nose landing gear strut for a catapult launch.