“4-F” a War weary T-bolt.

I like the way this is going.  I love the old paint/new paint finish.  Keep going your Thunderbolt will look terrific.

I do have a question though, are you going to fade the stars and bars on the faded OD I would have thought that the older national marking should look more faded than the newer one (was the star reinstated on the fuselage) even if the rate of fade was less than the OD?

Just wondering...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I do have a question though, are you going to fade the stars and bars on the faded OD I would have thought that the older national marking should look more faded than the newer one (was the star reinstated on the fuselage) even if the rate of fade was less than the OD?

Good question & Thank you for asking it. ... Best answer i can offer is no. To be honest I think  the paint is labeled U.S. Olive drab, & it looks good to my eye. Besides its the closest i have in my paint pile. The darker green is supposed to be more or less R.A.F. Dk. Green. Again its the best in my paint pile for that use. I will fade the stars & bars somewhat with weathering but not that much. For the Stars & bars fading and being replaced im not sure if or how often that was done in the war ? Ive seen some really worn examples in photo’s over the years on the real deal aircraft. 

Im not the rivet counting type of builder. Im more the if it looks like a 🦆, walks like a 🦆, quacks like a 🦆. Then it must be a 🦆. I just build mainly for the enjoyment and relaxation it brings.  And dont get to hung up on exactness or detail. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello Everyone ... Been a few days but I got around to decals today. They’re not finished but heres how she sits right now. 

Qca5xhG.jpg

1O8panT.jpg

She has all 5 Stars & bars too.

jR7QLYS.jpg

Still have some stencils, codes, and the foil on the cowl flaps to do. Questions, comments, and or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello Everybody ... Well i did the codes today. They need some touch ups but they look good to me. 

xPGostJ.jpg

kODyoaC.jpg

4F is getting closer to the finish line. I did the prop decals as well.

9MT7jJn.jpg

She still need a few stencils and the foil. I will do the foil at the same time i do it on the Deuce over in the NATO group build. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

I'm just catching up with this one Dennis.  It's a really interesting scheme and well executed!  Glad to hear that your leg is a bit better too.

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Dennis, when you say 'Tamiya flat', which one do you have? If it's X-21 Flat Base. DON'T spray it on anything, as it's not a clear coat. It's designed to be mixed in with other paints to flatten them, the higher to percentage, the flatter it gets. I can't recall the ratios off the top of my head, but I'll look them up and get back to you. I thought I'd post this ASAP to help you avoid a potential mess, and will edit it with updated details when I can not edit it at all, seeing as the info isn't required. :)

• Thanks 1

That's a new one on me, I've never heard of it! But then, I defected to Gunze Sangyo quite a long time ago, love their paints. I would imagine that XF-86 is the same as all Tamiya paints- mix well and thin with whatever you usually use. As a flat coat, it will need mixing REALLLY well to help avoid the dreaded white blooming that IME is caused mostly by the flattening agent not being in suspension - I live in a humid area and have never had issues with blooming unless I've been lazy with the mixing (regardless of brand).

FYI, here's a Britmodeller thread on XF-86 that I found while looking the product up for my own edumaction.

• Thanks 1

Heres a few photos showing the weathering and such. I still need a canopy, drop tanks, and some landing gear. Never got to the flat coat like i was hoping. That will get sprayed on Monday. 

YB4Kd9t.jpg

XowGuv0.jpg

VT8eLhJ.jpg

Work will stop until monday due to family obligations. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Hello everyone ... and @Rob G. Well my test with XF-86 worked. I was able to dust three coats on and it definitely toned down the glossy finish. 

VQweFXp.jpg

iAw7E4w.jpg

dxLJ9Aw.jpg

I compared it some before photos and there is a definite change. So i will call it a success. Now on to the finish. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Hi Dennis. Sorry, I have managed to miss this one so far. It's looking excellent. I always love these with the b&w stripes on. Unfortunately the one I'm making doesn't have them. Superb job so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Well I will be wrapping this up tonight or Tomorrow. Though i need to say up front i goofed up on the landing gear. Not the same mistake as i made up in the Dedicated group build with the airfix mustang. I knew the landing gear on the academy P-47’s was a bit long and had every intention of shortening them. I got into a fit and wanted to finish this and the mustang. Of course when you rush you make mistakes. I didn't realize until the gear had set, and i stood the jug up on her pins. That she was too tall. 🙄So live and learn. 

• 2 weeks later...