Catching Pictures in the Air

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Here ya go,

'Four burnin' six turnin' and - wtf is that hanging underneath!!!!?'

A B-58 airframe?

Actually on second glance it's only four turning isn't it as the inboard props seem to have been removed to accommodate the delta wing of the payload?

Please don't think my posts are getting terser from now on but the huge emoji panel in the last update keeps crashing my tablet and is so spasmodic in Chrome on the laptop that I can't be bothered with them any more.

Tonight's update comes courtesy of Echo & The Bunnymen:

All control surfaces have now been detatched - barring the rudders which look as if they will be quite effective enough if I just deepen the mould lines a little more starkly with the scalpel:

41678980502_dd367c5ecd_c.jpg

The inboard flaps:

41678980362_909de5c6ba_c.jpg

Ailerons and outboard flaps:

41001721644_d07db022fc_c.jpg

I'm not sure whether it's strictly necessary to go further and divide the inner & outer ailerons as well - the aircraft will be in level flight at this point and  a little scoring with the scalpel (as per the rudders above) will be sufficient to express the demarcation between them.

I'm pleased to say that my erstwhile Nemesis was not as much of a problem as previously feared:

39912028560_f124693390_c.jpg

A combination of Stanley blade along the leading edge of the elevator and a scalpel held very close to the tip of the blade to score out the angled returns allowed these to separate nice and cleanly in the end.

In relation to the earlier discussion with Pete and James regarding the logic behind those angled returns, it seems clear that that they provide necessary clearance if left or right rudder is applied with the elevator deflected upwards:

41719242721_5f5b62240e_c.jpg

Pleased with how sharply those detachments turned out in the end so it just remains to clean those parts up now and look at rebuilding any necessary mountings and mouldings involving them.

'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me.'

I feel a need to dig out Rebecca and read it again - reading Daphne du Maurier in my youth always seemed to produce such incredibly vivid dreams afterwards about particular locations I remembered in the  West Country & Cornwall - wonder does it still work? Incredible woman....

Tony

• Like 11

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You are all clearly bad, bad men intent on causing distress to the innocent....:P

I thought we had cleared the "innocent" bit up. You are about as innocent as a guilty thing that has been caught red handed with a smoking gun in it's hand!

His Holiness the Martian

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've heard of people being sent bullets in the post as a warning but when you get Doodlebugs you must sense that  you're really in trouble.

Baron 'being incredibly nice to Pete from now on':o

He asked for it. Err them.

Maybe I should rephrase that?

• Haha 4

Excellent cuts, the choicest parts from the carcass.  Very neat and straight!

Before you get in to those hinge cutouts of the flying control surfaces take some time looking at pics.

They look razor saw thickness in 72nd.

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/c119/c119.htm

Note that the elevator hinge point is a little way back from the leading edge, I would say roughly where that first line back from the LE is on the kit part.

Yes, indeed that is the XB-58 Hustler being ferried under the Peacemaker and well spotted with the inboard props!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought we had cleared the "innocent" bit up. You are about as innocent as a guilty thing that has been caught red handed with a smoking gun in it's hand!

Dash it all you frightful xenomorph. A chap's reputation left in tatters!

I'd send a letter of protest to the Martian Consulate but the last Earthling that did that ended up with a cylinder landing on his house and tripods all over the front garden...

15 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Superb interior!

Ta for that Nigel. Hope that all is well at Bistro Heath - you haven't been posting any dinners of late - or am I looking in the wrong place?

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

He asked for it. Err them.

Maybe I should rephrase that?

Let me guess, you buried him in a dishwasher and now he sleeps with the dishes...

14 hours ago, giemme said:

It can't just be the blades ...

The only alternative left then is that I must be part-Italian Giorgio!

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Before you get in to those hinge cutouts

Duly absorbed and the choices morsels downloaded for reference James. The elevator detail here is superb from this angle: 

c199__19.jpg

Thou canst see the hinge point clearer here - 'F' - in this excerpt from the parts manual:

2018-04-25_06-48-06

Looking at that overhead photo more closely I'm also reconsidering not cutting off the rudders - the kit hinge points are noticeably too thick compared to the ones shown here and it might be a good opportunity to correct that with the brass work.

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes, indeed

Well, I do have a Hustler in the stash that could be modified, so all I have to do now is to find a B-36 going for a fiver on the 'bay and that's that sorted. Last one I lurked over went for a 1/72 scale national debt, so short of a charity shop find in Dorset this summer it might take a while!

I'm going to haul the carcass out of the scratcher later and cut those rudders I think - meant to be in Dublin today but struck down by a dose of the manthrax caught from my youngest who thoughtfully distributed it to Mrs.B and myself. He of course is now hale and hearty but still needs training-up in making strong cups of tea and being a teenager, unreliable in matters of sympathy...

Flouting the no politics rule on here to reveal that I'm currently engrossed in:

9783319499642.jpg

fraser.jpg

83597i05066B346F5D1925?v=1.0

& etc....

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Dash it all you frightful xenomorph. A chap's reputation left in tatters!

I'd send a letter of protest to the Martian Consulate but the last Earthling that did that ended up with a cylinder landing on his house and tripods all over the front garden...

Added to which, I am the Martian Consul!

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Aaaaaand let me guess about, Are you also the custom officer for the Martian/Earthling exchanges ?? 😂

What about the Martian beer ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 5

Hello Tony !

What a sorrow, 6 years ago, I had 2 B-36, I gave one to my stepson and He selled it to the flea market for 15€.

But if I find one for a good price, I call on you

CC the devilish temptation 😈😈😈

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I have it on good authority that Martians don't drink beer as the bubbles do things to their tentacles.

They do however have a drink distilled from Martian cactus juice to see them through the long winter nights.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Aaaaaand let me guess about, Are you also the custom officer for the Martian/Earthling exchanges ?? 😂

Sincerely.

CC

I have my tentacles in many pies!

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have it on good authority that Martians don't drink beer as the bubbles do things to their tentacles.

They do however have a drink distilled from Martian cactus juice to see them through the long winter nights.

This rumour is a load of dingo's kidneys, as Corsaircorp found out at Telford last year!

Martian

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Let me guess, you buried him in a dishwasher and now he sleeps with the dishes...

Brilliant!! (insert 'laughing emoji' here, as I can't be bothered to wait for an actual one to appear due to the insufferable time it takes the gazillion ones now available to load. I am constantly amused by how software 'upgrades' now seemingly always make things worse! Wasn't like that in my time in I.T.!)

Keith

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just do a colon : and the first couple of letters of what you want and a selection box will appear (no chocolate though).

Simples 😺

or 🕷️

Mike told us how to do it somewhere else on't site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of lovely scope for hinge and indeed bracket making on the elevators there Tony, plentiful reasons for putting off the end on this tour-de-force

YIPPEE

:(

Er can you tell I am reluctant to open this next can of worms?

I just don't know how to tell you this mate

I've simply let you down, badly

So very badly  :(  :(  :(

Look, we all know I promised you I had a redundant Spitfire and V1 set

That there is no chance I will ever need, but I turned it out this morning just before a trek to Sandiacre to celebrate our son's birthday

(no dummy, not you and I with a son, my wife and I. Gor blimey some people...)

Anyway, er where was I?

Erm?

Oh yes OK

The Spitfire kit!

I'm devastated, so sorry to be letting you down but it appears I don't have the kit after all

Well, OK I do have it but the destructions have disappeared along with the rear two parts of the three part canopy (It is a Frog kit, they were good at that stuff)

I mean

How can I expect you to tackle this without the instruction sheet?

Gutted I am mate

I mean, just look at this

I'm so sorry

P1010283.jpg

Anyway truly sorry, I'll probably just throw it away

All it's good for really, shame...

Look I seem to have devastated the transfer sheet too

P1010284.jpg

Anyway I expect somebody will be able to help you out, this is such a great place

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just do a colon : and the first couple of letters of what you want and a selection box will appear (no chocolate though).

Simples 😺

or 🕷️

Mike told us how to do it somewhere else on't site.

Yep, saw his post Pete, but I can't remember what characters represent the little green fella rolling on the floor laughing that I wanted to use!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Is that like a Ford Consul but with tinted tentacles and a rough leather seat?

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

What a sorrow, 6 years ago, I had 2 B-36, I gave one to my stepson and He selled it to the flea market for 15€.

But if I find one for a good price, I call on you

Two B-36s Cc! Bloody hell! NATO would have designated your house as an air force base if you'd made them both!

Do give us a shout if you see one at a reasonable cost for sure mate. :thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have it on good authority that Martians don't drink beer 

That explains why the parties on their home world are always so thin on atmosphere....

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I have n tentacles in many pies!

Tannoy: 'Cleaner to aisle 4 please, cleaner to aisle 4.' 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Wasn't like that in my time in I.T

How hard could it be putting an extra bead on the abacus... :shocked:

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

: and the first couple of letters

Hey! It works Pete! I'm back on the emoji con things again! Thank you.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I mean, just look at this

I'm so sorry

It's mid-grey in colour.

You didn't say it was mid-grey Bill.

You know how I feel about hyphenated colours - they just set off the rash and facial tic.

Dammit: it's Mid-Brunswick Green all over again...

29 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, saw his post Pete, but I can't remember what characters represent the little green fella rolling on the floor laughing that I wanted to use!

Keith

Colon rofl2

:rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A jolly good job I am dumping the thing, sorry Tony

I would have hoped for turquoise myself but it has been that kind of month what with losing arm functions all over the shop  🐧

Any road, I wish you well in your quest for a monochromatic terror weapon

Or Loon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Nae sweat old son. If you have a squint at the 10:12 mark here the Air Force seemed to be dumping them too:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, perdu said:

I would have hoped for turquoise myself but it has been that kind of month what with losing arm functions all over the shop  🐧

Any road, I wish you well in your quest for a monochromatic terror weapon

Or Loon...

I'm still confuddled Bill, doesn't Tony just want the V1 - don't you Tony?? Doesn't look to be anything missing from it in your pic?? (and it certainly doesn't appear to need destructions to put it together!) Or am I missing some irony here....? 😕

K

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Is that like a Ford Consul but with tinted tentacles and a rough leather seat?

No its the one with the tentacles of the extremely long reach and the rough leather bluglecruncheon.

Martian the Merciless

• Like 1
  • Haha 2