Airfix 1/72 Lancaster II LL716 A2-G, 514 Sqn

Simon

Thanks Val, and also everyone else for their kind words.

Another quickie. I thought I'd do a bit of tidying up of the wings - sanding down rough edges etc, and spotted that there's a missing part of the inner trailing edge of the port lower wing:

Lancaster-II-61

It's not in the bag, so it looks Airfix's quality control gremlin strikes again...:doh:

Annoyingly it's the port wing, into which I'd just glued the landing lights. Rather than wait a week or so for the two replacement parts, I thought it'd be easier just to scratch-build the offending missing bit. About five minutes with some plastic strip and a sanding stick, and this should do the job:

Lancaster-II-63

I think I may take a careful look over the remaining parts on their sprues, just to double-check there are no more surprises!

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 5

Another quick update for today.

I've now got the wings glued together, and have made a start on the wingtip lights, which disappointingly are moulded as part of the wings, rather than being supplied as separated clear parts. A bit on the mean side from Airfix, I.M.H.O.

Anyway, the Lancaster I'm doing, LL716, seems to have the later style lights, with clear lenses on the leading edge, and the three I.D. light on the rear, like this"

IMG_0491.jpg

(not my photo - it was posted by deecee in this post on a previous thread)

I thought it might be easier to replace the section with the three lights as a complete section, to allow for any mess-ups (which there were...!). So, these bits needed removing, and replacing with rear sections fashioned from some Evergreen 158 strip, and some clear sprue for the front-edge lights:

Lancaster-II-64

I then cut three notches in the rear section, and glued some plastic rod in place to depict the three lights. Here's the starboard one completed and ready to trim to size, together with the port one almost done, and the port leading edge light polished up and ready for fitting:

Lancaster-II-65

More soon,

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 12

Another quick update.

I've got the wings together, and the engine nacelles in place, but beware the part of the instructions that shows that you have to drop the mainwheel legs in through the top of the wing, before adding the upper parts of the cowlings. The cowlings were a reasonable fit to the wings, with a smidge of filler required, but the fit of the four upper parts can best be described as 'relaxed'...! :whistle:

Lancaster-II-66

Lancaster-II-68

The outer ones I fixed with some filler, but I thought I'd add a shim of plastic strip to the inner ones to close the gap at the rear:

Lancaster-II-69

It need sanding flush, but a better option that filler, I.M.H.O.

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 9

Another update for today.

First up, (yet) another victim of the Airfix quality-control gremlin:

Lancaster-II-72

Easily sorted, but it shouldn't be necessary to do so, really. :shrug:

Anyway, back to the fuselage. The small windows on the fuselage were deleted, rather than just painted over, by the time LL716 left the production line, so they all need filling. I think I should really have done this first, but wasn't 100% sure they needed doing at the time. The windows had already been glued in place, so I sprayed some Halfords Primer on the fuselage to show the gaps that needed sorting, then filled the offending areas:

Lancaster-II-73

After some sanding down:

Lancaster-II-74

And after another quick coat of primer:

Lancaster-II-75

The panel lines need re-scribing - it's unfortunate they sit exactly on the line of the windows, but never mind. Not my favourite job, so fingers crossed! :pray:

I've also started on the bit of the rear fuselage that may be visible through the ventral gun position. I thought the easiest way would be to add in a new inner wall section for the fuselage, using some thin plastic sheet:

Lancaster-II-70

It will need a floor section adding, some plastic strip adding for the internal ribs, plus a few odds and ends for the gun itself, but that all seems pretty straightforward.

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

Another update for today.

Firstly, I've had a go at re-scribing the missing fuselage panels lines. I HATE rescribing, so approached it with my usual sense of trepidation. It's not great, but the best I reckon can do:

Lancaster-II-77

Lancaster-II-78

Hopefully the markings and some weathering will hide the messy bits. I also took the opportunity to open up the escape hatches in the fuselage roof:

Lancaster-II-79

More on them when the fuselage is buttoned up...I have a cunning plan for them.

Meanwhile, back at the wings, I thought I'd like to do the Lancaster with the flaps open. I don't particularly like the 'fully open' option the kit gives you, so thought I'd try a partly open version. So I reckoned I could use the fully closed flap parts of the rear parts for the nacelles, and cut an angled section from the rear of them - from front to rear here are a 'fully open' kit part, an amended 'closed' part, and original 'closed' kit part.

Lancaster-II-80

This is what the flaps should look like when in place, with the kit's fully open option on the right:

Lancaster-II-81

And finally, I've made a start on the inside of the rear fuselage, and the ventral gun position. This is partly 'make it up as you go along', as references aren't great, and it won't be very visible anyway. I've done the fuselage side wall sections:

Lancaster-II-85

as well as the floor section around the gun's aperture:

Lancaster-II-88

Lancaster-II-86

and finally the seat for the gunner:

Lancaster-II-87

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
typo
  • Like 14

Another quickie for today.

I've been busy working and indeed reworking on the rear fuselage interior. The walls are now in and painted, and the step with the old flare tube at the rear of the bomb bay added:

Lancaster-II-91

Having looked, re-looked and looked again at the iffy drawings, I've redone the floor section, and added an internal curved wall section to the underside of the aperture in the floor:

Lancaster-II-90

The seat seems to sit on a raised platform, that sits on this floor section. I've also re-done the seat, cos it didn't fit :doh:

Lancaster-II-89

I'm happier with this revised version - again, no idea if it's right though...

Meanwhile, look what the Postie brought last week:

Lancaster-II-92

A 16 quid bargain from EvilBay. Wonder if I have room on my bench for two Lancasters...:whistle:

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

On 12/02/2017 at 7:42 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Nice detailing at the rear there Simon. Were you tempted to open up the rear door? Be a shame not see all these lovely additions. Looks like you gonna need a bigger bench too :)

Why did you have to go and say that? ;)

I'd been thinking about it, and then I saw your post. So...

The inner line is the door, from the references I could find:

Lancaster-II-93

So I masked the inner frame with Dymo tape, and used a scriber to cut the shape out:

Lancaster-II-94

Lancaster-II-95

Some tidying up, but job's a good 'un.

Of course this means more internal work. Firstly extending the sections of inner framework, and adding a rear bulkehead across the internal tailplane spars:

Lancaster-II-98

Fortunately the door sits exactly at the edge of the starboard internal framing I'd already added. (I did check before cutting out the door...).

Lancaster-II-97

So, I need to add the flare chute and other various odds and ends visible through the door.

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 13

Heh heh heh, I like that sort of thing :devil:

Seriously though, nice neat piece of work. Good technique using the dymo tape as a guide too. This will look the business when complete, all the additions give it real depth. Keep it coming.

• Like 1

Excellent work on the Lanc, Simon! What did you use to fill in the windows? I've been struggling with the windows on a GR.3 I've been tinkering with for some time, and I'm not happy with how the filling worked out, and I haven't even primed it yet (to see just how bad a job I did). I too am also looking at the rescribing on mine with some trepidation.

Regards,

Jason

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on the Lanc, Simon! What did you use to fill in the windows? I've been struggling with the windows on a GR.3 I've been tinkering with for some time, and I'm not happy with how the filling worked out, and I haven't even primed it yet (to see just how bad a job I did). I too am also looking at the rescribing on mine with some trepidation.

Regards,

Jason

Jason

I glued the windows in place, then used acrylic filler to fill the gaps. Then I sanded the filler back, gave it a quick coat of primer, sanded again, filled again, and repeated until they looked okay. I like acrylic filler as you can dilute it with water, and use a paintbrush to apply thin coats, like paint.

I agree about the rescribing - with hindsight I'd have totally filled all the affected panel lines and rescribe them from scratch, rather than trying to scribe in the filled in bits to match the parts of the panel lines that were left unfilled, which was a right royal pain in the proverbials...!

Simon

• Like 2

Thank you for the tip about the acrylic filler, Simon! Which specific brand did you use? I've tried to be careful to keep the original panel lines intact, to make it 'easier' to rescribe. I may just forget about that and just make sure the windows are well and truly gone, then worry about the panel lines.

Regards,

Jason

On 13/02/2017 at 8:53 PM, Learstang said:

Thank you for the tip about the acrylic filler, Simon! Which specific brand did you use? I've tried to be careful to keep the original panel lines intact, to make it 'easier' to rescribe. I may just forget about that and just make sure the windows are well and truly gone, then worry about the panel lines.

Regards,

Jason

Sorry for not repllying sooner Jason - this is what I use:

vallejo-filler

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2