Revell 1/72 Type IXC U-boat WIP

It’s been a little while so here’s an update.

I finished the conning tower with the PE, next is affixing it to the hull and adding some fiddly bits of PE to the hull itself.

The next pics will be the start of the weathering. Oh boy I cant wait!

6RDUO6.jpg

8Ex0Yc.jpg

Now some of you may be asking why black?? Black was the only primer I have at the moment, it shows flaws better and I don’t have to pre-shade. I will be going over areas I plan on chipping with an enamel burnt umber. I will paint over these areas with some AK Interactives Weathering Effects to facilitate chipping.

• Like 4

I have an update from the weekend.

I mixed Testors enamel rust and Testors enamel flat black to make a burnt umber. I sprayed this onto the upper part of the hull and using a bush. I applied some AK Interactives Worn Effects in specific areas for chipping later.

I sprayed the lower/upper hull and deck with Vallejo acrylics and when dry, use a wet brush to remove areas of chipping.

I have quit a bit to do still and will use oils to enhance the rusted areas after I'm done.

diowcV.jpg

ejJz3P.jpg

SkIPka.jpg

VVJSue.jpg

Edited by Bitzer
  • Like 6

There is quits a bit more to do, but if I were to do it again I would leave the guns and radar off until all was painted. It would much easer to do without all the fiddly bits in your way.

• Like 1

Another update from last night. I finished the chipping and next will be the decals, washing, powders and oils ETC, ETC. Oh yeah, I also need to paint the guns, lights and install the props and anchor.

mFlnY6.jpg

6IwksS.jpg

wIRsgN.jpg

vZIjGp.jpg

Zmw3P7.jpg

grsh3Y.jpg

YzgZ4m.jpg

QVARPc.jpg

• Like 4

Looks very nice Bitzer, just a couple of observations regarding rust and u-boats.

There would be no rust below the waterline unless the u-boat had been laid up in dry dock for some time as rust needs air to oxidise.

The main deck would be timber planking painted with black wood preservative, except at the bow and the stern were there were metal plates, also some access plates here and there painted to match the deck. You would see paint wear and exposed wood over a period of time.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Valid point Chris thanks.

I was thinking about backing off the below the waterline rust. Painting over some of these areas would probably enhance the look of recent repairs. There could be some rust just below the waterline where there is air exposure from wave troughs from time to time, but I wouldn't expect them to be running.
I'm not sure I'm following your point on the deck though. 

Hi Bitzer in the photo showing the deck in front of the conning tower it looks like rust patches, the exposed wood would be a lighter colour, worn paint would be a charcoal black. As originally the decks were planked with teak pre-war, any local wood was used when the type IX was built later on. Hers a photo of my type II you can clearly see the difference between the wood deck and the steel decking (light grey) this is typical for u-boats.

DSC_2864_zpsxlxrz1nm.jpg

Hope this helps

Chris

• Like 1

Chris, I went back over the deck last night and painted wood, applied some Worn Effects, resprayed the grey and “wore” it back off. I think it looks better but I will be adjusting it some with some dry brushing and powders. I also went over the areas below the waterline to remove the rust chips on the dive planes and rudders.

While that is drying I will paint the guns, lights, floatation ring and install the props tonight. I installed my own decals on the conning tower although they don’t show in this picture.

TZmlzL.jpg

The 10th Flotilla emblem to the front of the tower and U-515s supposed hammer emblem on the upper sides between the upper and lower splash guards. I assume it was painted and not a shield.

6MUMd1.gif fRRJFJ.gif

I cut the emblems from the grey background.

• Like 1

I added some more black wash and am ready to apply some pastels. This will be followed by burnt umber oils for running rust and highlighting some chipped paint areas.
Also note the decals
 vaxlpp.jpg
H0I8Iy.jpg
OFTzai.jpg
I took the sub into my IPMS meeting on Saturday and noticed that I was missing one of the twin 20mm AA guns. Backtracking to the car I found pieces of it in the parking lot. Oh well, I wasn’t pleased with the way the 20’s were turning out anyway so I will be ordering the CMK type IX weapons set gun set from Hannants in a week or two.
This won’t hinder me form completing the build up to the point of attaching them.
Also, while the oil paint was drying I started the LF antenna aerial. I “barrowed” some wood blocks from one of my overly priced European wooden ship kits like this one….
 VsvKyC.jpg

to make the wood blocks and used some lower E guitar string for the wire. I just started this process so I am making it up as I go along.

wPbYYy.jpg
qtf3jS.jpg
  • Like 7

Some fabulous detail there - I love the look of that hull - weathering coming along nicely.  I definitely want one.

Sorry to hear about the 20mm - the CMK kits look nice though.

Great progress

Rob

There are so many abandoned WIPs of those big submarine kits in the web, so I'm glad you stuck on yours.

The conning is a great technique to erase every last bit of toyish look off the kit. Also it shows well the fact that the outer hull wasn't the pressure hull and just made of welded sheet that suffered from ongoing wash of the waves.

I have some of the great "U-Boot im Focus"-issues in my library. They're great reference. If there are certain areas where you can't find pictures of, please drop me a line.

Regards,

Torben

Thank you mates,

I applied some pastels and the rust wash last night and oh man it is looking sweet. I didn't take any pics of it yet because I wanted to complete the LF aerials, anchor and screws. I also wanted to make a special stand for it.

My next pics will likely be of the completed build without the 20's.  Do to finances I will order the guns from Hannants later this month,

Hey Bitzer, Very nice job, the weathering is very effective, especially on the deck, looks superb.

Please forgive the shameless plug, but I really struggled with the isolators so I made these 3D printed ones. It's designed for a type vii, but I bet it'll work out for the type ixc.  Just a thought, your approach with the block looks like it'll work great!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4323EGNNF/u-boat-rigging-isolator-set-1-72?option=60714012&etId=119514008&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=so-order-placed&utm_content=2

I reworked the LF aerials, isolators and made some turnbuckles. I started the turnbuckles by twisting wire strands around a pin. I looked for some brass tubing that would work for the body but couldn’t find anything small enough. Falling back on my electronics experience I decided to use 1mm OD heat shrink tube. This seems to have worked well. I then used these same wire strands to run through and twist the insulators.

EN5ivr.jpg

YIf5uQ.jpg

jfmzkM.jpg

Here is the result for the port stern aerial.

x6JKff.jpg

nCywEZ.jpg

Now on to the remaining aerials. I also ordered the guns from Hanants along with a 1/72 U-boat crew. I don’t know if I will be using them on this build, but I would like to get a type VII at some point and maybe use them there.

• Like 4