Shackleton MR.2 Phase 3 Viper Conversion

xvtonker

Neil Gaunt of Aircraft in Miniature has informed me that he plans to release a 1/72 conversion for the Phase 3 Bristol Siddeley Viper update for the MR.3 Shackleton within the next few weeks.

The kit comprises of two resin viper bodies and intake doors plus white metal intake door supports.

He has managed to keep production costs down to a minimum so we can expect to see a nice low price.

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker
  • Like 5

Typical - just putting the finishing touches to my Phase 2 .......... ( Vipers were phase 3 BTW )

Many thanks for tempting the gods to make an aftermarket Phase 3 Viper. Had you have not put all those endless hours into your mods and nearly completed it - I am sure the aftermarket Vipers would NOT have come about.

I bow to your planning ahead and foreseeing that starting your own viper conversion would induce an aftermarket accessory. I wish we had more Britmodellers who can see into the future.

:mike:

• Like 3

Well, the Shackleton followed logically from my AVRO 'production run' some of which were then released in a better / easier form - Manchester, Lincoln.

The AVRO run was a spur off my Bomber Command theme - I went to town on the Airfix Sterling, and Italeri kitted it, had a couple of Blenheims in the stash, and a new one appears, converted, rescribed and detailed a Matchbox Victor to a B2, and one's coming out............

Meatbox8, I've got the Buccaneer covered; I spent a ton of quid on aftermarket goodies for mine, so if the old modeller's tale holds true, Airfix should be downscaling their 1/48th scale Brick any day now. We can only hope. Oh, and great news about the Viper conversion - I hope it will work on Revell's probable new-mould MR.3 (I don't have any inside information, it's just an informed guess from the parts breakdown).

Regards,

Jason

Meatbox8, I've got the Buccaneer covered; I spent a ton of quid on aftermarket goodies for mine, so if the old modeller's tale holds true, Airfix should be downscaling their 1/48th scale Brick any day now. We can only hope. Oh, and great news about the Viper conversion - I hope it will work on Revell's probable new-mould MR.3 (I don't have any inside information, it's just an informed guess from the parts breakdown).

Regards,

Jason

Very decent of you. Would you mind converting the Airfix Canberra B(I)8 in to a B2 while you'e about it? Interesting about the Revell Shack. I haven't seen the parts at first hand as I'm still in plastic fondle mode with the Airfix one.

• Like 2

Actually, I have the Airfix PR.9 I'm planning on converting into a Short SC.9. Somehow I don't see an imminent release of that as a mainstream kit, however. Regarding the Revell Shack MR.2, they have the parts in common between the MR.2 and MR.3 (middle and rear fuselage, and tail planes) all on one sprue, and apparently there is evidence of some panel lines specific to the MR.3 appearing on the inner wing parts. This is as much hope as informed speculation, but I would not be surprised at all if Revell were to release the MR.3; quite the opposite in fact. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

Actually, I have the Airfix PR.9 I'm planning on converting into a Short SC.9. Somehow I don't see an imminent release of that as a mainstream kit, however. Regarding the Revell Shack MR.2, they have the parts in common between the MR.2 and MR.3 (middle and rear fuselage, and tail planes) all on one sprue, and apparently there is evidence of some panel lines specific to the MR.3 appearing on the inner wing parts. This is as much hope as informed speculation, but I would not be surprised at all if Revell were to release the MR.3; quite the opposite in fact. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Regards,

Jason

Oh crikey! Where am I going to put them? The boxes that is, let alone the finished models. Mind you I might have moved to a bigger house in about ten years time so why worry?

I know what you mean; I already have the Airfix MR.2, but I MUST get the Revell AEW.2, and any other variants they come out with (MR.1, MR.3). I've been in love with the Grey Lady since she was still in service as a maritime recce aircraft.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Very decent of you. Would you mind converting the Airfix Canberra B(I)8 in to a B2 while you'e about it? Interesting about the Revell Shack. I haven't seen the parts at first hand as I'm still in plastic fondle mode with the Airfix one.

That be my responsibility, on the go albeit slowly!

• Like 3

Great news, but seems an odd time to release a Viper set.

We have gone for almost 50 years with the wonderful Frog MR.3 kit (and it's many derivatives) without Viper aftermarket parts, sadly.

Surely when Revell bring out their new MR.3 it will likely be an MR.3/3 as that was their actual aircraft source material.

Just to be an utter pedant, the Viper upgrade wasn't part of the Phase III update. Phase III was a radar, equipment and sound proofing upgrade carried out on MR.2 and MR.3s.

MR.3s had the Vipers upgrade due to ever increasing weight, sometimes the aircraft had the two upgrades at the same time, while other aircraft went for two years or so as a Phase III before having Vipers fitted.

Edge mentions a generic Shack decal sheet, Aeroclub did a superb two sheet generic set which they released with their AEW.2 upgrade, would be great to see this out again.

One conversion set I would love to see, is a Shackleton MR.1. This is so straight forward from the Airfix kit as most of the common and early parts are in the box, even the rear radome isn't molded into the fuselage, which helps a lot. Really just a case of a new nose section, extreme tail section and a tailwheel.

• Like 5

Great news, but seems an odd time to release a Viper set.

We have gone for almost 50 years with the wonderful Frog MR.3 kit (and it's many derivatives) without Viper aftermarket parts, sadly.

Surely when Revell bring out their new MR.3 it will likely be an MR.3/3 as that was their actual aircraft source material.

Just to be an utter pedant, the Viper upgrade wasn't part of the Phase III update. Phase III was a radar, equipment and sound proofing upgrade carried out on MR.2 and MR.3s.

MR.3s had the Vipers upgrade due to ever increasing weight, sometimes the aircraft had the two upgrades at the same time, while other aircraft went for two years or so as a Phase III before having Vipers fitted.

Edge mentions a generic Shack decal sheet, Aeroclub did a superb two sheet generic set which they released with their AEW.2 upgrade, would be great to see this out again.

One conversion set I would love to see, is a Shackleton MR.1. This is so straight forward from the Airfix kit as most of the common and early parts are in the box, even the rear radome isn't molded into the fuselage, which helps a lot. Really just a case of a new nose section, extreme tail section and a tailwheel.

Curious, because all of the reference books I have, together with inputs from other Britmodeller's state that the Viper modification was part of the Phase 3 update programme.

The reason behind the Viper conversion is that there were a number of people who had expressed an interest for such a conversion to allow them to build the final version of the Shack from the Frog, ModelCraft, Revell kits, so I worked with Neil Gaunt of AIM to produce the Viper nacelle & door while he has produced the master moulds and white metal parts. Also I suspect an Airfix or Revell version will not be on the shelves for at least a couple of years, and that MR.3 kits are appearing regularly on the internet there is justification for such a conversion.

XVTonker

• Like 3

I do have 2 x Revell MR3 Shacks, one of which is required to have a viper conversion, the other kit is for the aeroclub AEW conversion as I do like a challenge. I am sure many more modellers with MR3 kits have stalled and ended up on the shelf of doom, this viper conversion I imagine will kick start a lot of dust on those stalled builds. Even with a new Revell MR3 kit alleged to be in the pipe line, I feel sure there are plenty of old Revell kits around for the conversion and I am sure there will be plenty of modellers keen to get there hands on the forthcoming viper conversion

• Like 1

Thanks 71chally. I thought I'd seen a decal sheet a little while ago fetch a small fortune on eBay, it must have been the Aeroclub one you mention.

I'd second the MR.1 suggestion as it would result in a very different looking model with apparently few changes. Maybe a T.4 could be built with the same changes (I'm no expert). Perhaps a suggestion for Glenn at Blackbird Models as he seems to be the king of Avro conversion sets with his Manchester & Lincoln sets.

• Like 2

Curious, because all of the reference books I have, together with inputs from other Britmodeller's state that the Viper modification was part of the Phase 3 update programme.

Which is partly why it has become such a popular misconception.

The only Shackleton book I entirely trust for technical and historical accuracy is the Chris Ashworth one, simply because of his background, and subsequent enthusiasm on the type. From memory I think he referred to the ultimate version as a Phase III (Viper).

As I mentioned above Phase III was an upgrade with specific items of equipment, the MR.2 got a major interior rebuild aswel, the MR.3 receiving a more thorough airframe rebuild. A new position was added to the radar and sonics desk, this in turn removing a window in the tactical compartment, which is a sure way to identify a Phase III.

The Viper upgrade was a separate programme, often carried out after Phase III was completed, and many Phase IIIs saw squadron service before getting Vipers.

As an example, XF704 sadly crashed as a pure Phase III without the Viper fit.

It is great to see a Viper aftermarket set, I adore the Frog kit and really enjoy building it (two in the past, three in the queue), fitting Vipers would be great but not sure now if I will wait for the new Revell offering instead.

Edited by 71chally

I'd second the MR.1 suggestion as it would result in a very different looking model with apparently few changes. Maybe a T.4 could be built with the same changes (I'm no expert).

Absolutely, the T.4 was a training conversion of the MR.1 without airframe changes. The great thing is is that the Airfix Shack kit absolutely lends itself to a conversion, having the early Griffon fish tail exhausts and aerial fit, and not having the ventral ASV radar molded in.

Will be doing the conversion myself, using the nose, tail cone & tail wheel from the Elliott MR.1 kit.

I have one sheet of the Aeroclub set and it is a joy, I really hope that John can see a way to producing the set again. It had every AEW on there aswel which would be really useful with the Revell AEW.2 kit

• Like 2

Funny you should mention XF704..........

IMG_2017_zpsqkzbscdq.jpg

Now had there been Vipers available, it may have emerged differently ( actually it's not quite finished - pitots & a few odds and ends to tidy )

• Like 3

Yes please, with a T.4 option and markings for MOTU. :bounce:

The only Shackleton book I entirely trust for technical and historical accuracy is the Chris Ashworth one, simply because of his background, and subsequent enthusiasm on the type. From memory I think he referred to the ultimate version as a Phase III (Viper).

I agree entirely. It is the finest book on the Shackleton out there, and desperately needs a reprint. Around the time it came out Chris did a talk on the Shackleton at my aviation group; it was evident that there was little he did not know about the Grey Lady.

I have one sheet of the Aeroclub set and it is a joy, I really hope that John can see a way to producing the set again. It had every AEW on there aswel which would be really useful with the Revell AEW.2 kit

I too have a sheet of the Aeroclub Shack Decal sheet and whilst chatting online with John last year whilst ordering some kits, suggested to him that as the Airfix/Revell kits were in the pipeline, (but not produced at that time)he should consider doing a print run again of the Shackleton decal sheets as they were the only decals available at that time and sell them at the Nationals at Telford and make a lot of modellers happy. He said it would give it some thought.

Now I know that sheet or sheets are expensive to print due to color content and as the days turned into months, Printscale and Xtradecal bought out there own sets of decals/Transfers and I imagine that John reconsidered his options and decided not to print as he had no way of breaking even on the print run considering the market on Shackletons was now amply catered for.

The only way you will see Johns Avro Shackleton decal sheet again is if he KNOWS he has enough demand to print at a profit and not lose out. The decision rests with all you Grey Lady fans and to make your interest personally known to him. I suggest you contact John via his mailbox on this forum, if enough interest is shown, chances are John may weaken and show pity to many shackleton fans

I hope this helps and wish you and John good luck, I have my sheet(courtesy of John) but I would not mind another!!!

Raymond

Regarding the MR.1, I had the same idea with the Elliot kit, but I was going to kit-bash it with the Frog MR.3. Now I may kit-bash it with another Airfix MR.2 (I already have one I'm going to do as an early MR.2) as that will be a much easier conversion. Or hopefully, by the time I come around to doing the conversion, Revell and/or Airfix will have their kit of the MR.1/T.4 available.

Regards,

Jason